SkyscraperCity banner

1021 - 1040 of 1349 Posts

·
Monster Raving Loony
84 Posts
Open ticket inclusion

I think a huge difference on the Minatomirai line ridership increase was the start of the run-through services using the Tokyu Toyoko Line and the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line in March 2013, which made it very easy for people on the Ikebukuro-Shinjuku-Shibuya corridor to reach central Yokohama through the Minatomirai Line.
Very solid point.
I respectfully offer that its inclusion on a number of Yokohama open tickets, including that of Keikyu's Yokohama 1 Day Ticket (Japanese)(Could Keikyu do a more thorough job of burying the details of this ticket on its W-WW site? :grumpy:), has also been valuable, especially if your accomodation is in Yokohama. On my last trip to Japan, which ended Tuesday, I used this ticket one day (from Yokohama, ¥840). :eek:kay:

·
Té con pastas member
18,930 Posts
New Tokyu 6020 series

Tokyu Corporation will introduce new trainsets for the Oimachi Line by spring 2018.

The 6020 series trains will share a common design with the Tokyu 2020 series ten-car EMU trains due to be introduced on the Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line in spring 2018. (see #960)

The two seven-car 6020 series trains on order are scheduled to be used on express services on the Tokyu Oimachi Line alongside the existing fleet of six Tokyu 6000 series, which are scheduled to be lengthened from six to seven cars by the start of the revised timetable in March 2018.

Source: http://www.tokyu.co.jp/image/news/pdf/171012-21.pdf

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Is it known what kind of CBTC system the Marunouchi line is getting?

After watching that video, I get the impression that it would be really funny watching the Japanese learn Alstom Urbalis or something...

·
Super Moderator
18,518 Posts
Saw this recently and I'm fascinated at how Japan's anachronistic approach to technology is also present in its railway signalling system
Thing is, we mock it as being old, but if it works better than the computerised system then so be it. It's not like they don't have the ability or technology to install something else, it's that they find their approach to be better.

·
Hideous and malformed
910 Posts
Thing is, we mock it as being old, but if it works better than the computerised system then so be it. It's not like they don't have the ability or technology to install something else, it's that they find their approach to be better.
No it's really just a case of Japanese exceptionalism (only our way works, we dont need new tech) and a hangover from the boom era.
Every day I come across cases similar to this where sure, it ain't broke, but it's hideously inefficient and uses up vital man-hours in a country with a extremely low unemployment rate and a dangerous culture of overwork.

(Plus how many meetings, reports and presentations do you think Keikyuu management would have to go through to accomplish a digitalisation project like that? Keep in mind the proclivity to have meetings about announcements about meetings etc etc etc)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Saw this recently and I'm fascinated at how Japan's anachronistic approach to technology is also present in its railway signalling system
It's actually more robust and flexible then a computerized system on such a busy line where there is only 2 minutes head ways going either direction with 130% ridership.
At any time when a train is delayed by all kind of reasons like an object that had fallen on the rail and personnel is needed to retrieve it to a sick person requiring assistance, a fight on the platform between customers,etc,etc.
With a computerized system it takes more then several minutes to restore normal operation while a manual switching system only takes seconds.
The down side is miss operation of flipping the switch that may result in a major accident but I believe there are various fail safe systems to prevent that from happening.

In other words which would you prefer having 10+ minutes delays every other day during commute or delays that you hardly notice?

·
Super Moderator
18,518 Posts
No it's really just a case of Japanese exceptionalism (only our way works, we dont need new tech) and a hangover from the boom era.
Every day I come across cases similar to this where sure, it ain't broke, but it's hideously inefficient and uses up vital man-hours in a country with a extremely low unemployment rate and a dangerous culture of overwork.

(Plus how many meetings, reports and presentations do you think Keikyuu management would have to go through to accomplish a digitalisation project like that? Keep in mind the proclivity to have meetings about announcements about meetings etc etc etc)
Well, the Swedes are the opposite and they try to automate everything and remove people from every equation. Yet they have some of the latest trains in Europe and also dangerous mistakes such as trains taking the wrong line and ending up in the wrong city even!

To be honest, I'd rather have a manpower heavy system if it yields better results. I am not a fan for modernisation for modernisations sake. You can probably fault the Japanese on a few areas but in terms of railways, I have never taken better systems especially given how much other countries are plagued with terrible operational procedure and frequent signal failures.

PS: Sweden even has the same meeting culture too so much so that even the portal to Sweden has a section on it!

·
♡~Friendship is Magic~♡
4,298 Posts

In Keikyu railways' case tho, I think it's more about the sheer financial cost of not only replacing the entire system, but also staff retraining and the inevitable delays caused by few bugs and kinks that needed to be ironed out. All that for probably something that may or may not be that much more efficient than current signalling system.

Also, even tho they have pretty lucrative lines, I don't think they have the financial muscle of, say, JR east, so they may have to be more conservative with their budgets

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Isn't JR installing Thales signaling on the Joban Line? I wonder how Joban Line operators are going to deal with that?

I know this is Keikyu, but really, I don't see Japan being able to have such a manpower-intensive culture in the long term.

1021 - 1040 of 1349 Posts