SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 1346 Posts

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ [anyone]

My God. Why is there sooo little interest in this railway network. I mean, this has got to be the largest and most efficient urban railway network in the world. This thread has been dead for like 3 months now

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
It's certainly big, and it's definitely efficient, but to be honest, maybe it's only me but when I was in Tokyo a few weeks back I found it rather non-descript and rather boring.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The majority of Tokyo's railway network, just like its skyscrapers, are characterized by their generic blandness. I guess that's the style Japanese prefer, but it certainly lacks exotic/good-old atmosphere most European/American subways have. Unlike most other Asian systems, the majority of the system are not super-modern, either.

But perhaps the biggest thing is a language barrier. Most information on Tokyo's railway (or anything Japanese, for that matter) are naturally in Japanese language, and most people don't get interested in the things written in those undecipherable hieroglyphs. While those who can, I mean Japanese rail fans, are having fun in Japanese forums, so they don't have much reason to post here. :|

·
17,112 Posts
Actually it is the best system that I have taken.
That's sure it don't look futurist like other asian or recent european system.

And Tokyo metro is very cheap, 160 yen for the lower price, (It is about 1 euro).

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
^ I agree it's very cheap. Unless of cause you have to change lines between operators.

·
Transport Advocate
498 Posts
ticket gate problems in tokyo affecting thousands

Automatic ticket gates fail at 650 stations

Passengers pass through nonfunctioning automatic ticket gates at JR Tokyo Station in Tokyo's Chiyoda-ku on Friday morning.

Automatic ticket gates at about 650 train stations in Tokyo and surrounding areas failed on Friday morning, forcing railway workers to open up the gates and let all passengers pass for free.

Officials said the problem, which left the automatic ticket gates without power, affected East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) stations as well as stations on other railway lines from early on Friday.

JR East officials said the problem was reported at about 190 stations. Most of the trouble occurred at Yokohama, Omiya and surrounding stations. Hundreds of stations on private lines were also affected. Train services were not disrupted by the problem, officials said.

All of the problem ticket gates were apparently made by Nippon Signal Co. The problem was fixed by 11 a.m.

October 12, 2007

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20071012p2a00m0na011000c.html

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
there are 650 stations in Tokyo???

·
Transport Advocate
498 Posts
There are alot of stations, nearly all JR East, Metro stations and private railways fare gates would not open due to IC card communication errors. It affected users of both Suica and PASSMO as they can be used interchangeably in the greater Tokyo area.

So alot of frustrated people was shown on the NHK news last night.

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ Maelstrom

^^ Yeah.

Those are amazing maps, indeed.

And, what makes it even more impressive is the fact that they were made independently by a SkyscraperCity forumer, FML.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
getting on and off in each stations
shinhuku station is more than 3,500,000 ppl in a day
Shinjuku Station (新宿駅, Shinjuku-eki?) is a train station located in Shinjuku and Shibuya wards in Tokyo, Japan.

Serving as the main connecting hub for rail traffic between central Tokyo and its western suburbs on inter-city rail, commuter rail and metro lines, the station was used by an average of 3.52 million people per day in 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Station

ikebukuro station; 2,700,000 ppl in a day
Ikebukuro Station (池袋駅, Ikebukuro-eki?) is a train station located in the Ikebukuro district of Toshima, Tokyo, Japan. With 2.7 million passengers on an average weekday in 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikebukuro_Station

shibuya
Shibuya Station (渋谷駅, Shibuya-eki?) is a train station located in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan. With 2.4 million passengers on an average weekday in 2004,

there are more lines only in tokyo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibuya_Station

29 stations where belong to Yamanote line; passengers average is about 1,000,000
shinagawa sta.:850,000
tokyo sta.; 900,000
shinbashi sta., 850,000

The daily patronage of the entire Greater Tokyo Railway Network is about 40 million
I think it is more?

·
Registered
89 Posts
can someone explain to me what a direct train service means?
does it mean that "a" line trains and "b"line trains use the same track and platforms(share the same route?), and "a" line trains continue beyond its terminal into suburbs to designated "b"stations, and vice versa?

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
You're counting everyone twice there, really
the station which belong to Jr line is not counted the ppl who get off
if it was divided by 2, it would be more 40 mil.?
yamanote stations; 29 million

Eidan subuway 180 stations
for example, nishikasai(西葛西) station in tozai line(subway; blue line)
100.000 ppl
I made this station for low average...18milion( it is not included the stations that are dobled)

Toei subway 4 lines ; about 80 satation 8milion

chuo line 50 stations; 5miliom
for example ,mitaka station 190,000. I made it 100,000 average

(29+18+8+5)/2=30milion

there are still many lines in tokyo
chiba ,saitama and kanagawa are not included

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes but people also make interchanges and use more than one line for one trip, which other systems count as a single trip together.

141 - 160 of 1346 Posts