Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove pass these beauties while the contractors were cleaning and hoarding the area up.

These are already under conservation and it is likely Capitaland will keep the
facade and build up the back into apartments in time to come. The pictures serve as a 'before' series for me, and I'm excited to see what Capitaland does eventually in integrating them.

I'm particularly keen to see how much of the details they retain eventually(like the lion on House no. 1's facade), and that it turns out tasteful, like Tan Quee Lan Suites or Tan Chin Tuan Mansion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An article about Tong Watt and House No. 8:

http://lushhomeonline.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/capitaland-pays-9m-for-no-8-tong-watt-rd/

CapitaLand pays $9m for No 8 Tong Watt Rd

CAPITALAND is understood to have bought No 8 Tong Watt Road off River Valley Road in the Mohamed Sultan area, at an auction last week for $9 million, bridging a gap in the row of houses it owns on the street.

With the latest acquisition, CapitaLand owns about 77,000 sq ft land area (stretching from Nos 1 to 17 Tong Watt Road) and which can be developed into around 293,000 sq ft gross floor area. That would be enough for almost 200 apartments averaging 1,500 sq ft. The stretch is zoned for residential use with a 3.8 plot ratio (ratio of maximum potential gross floor area to land area).

CapitaLand had bought the earlier properties at Tong Watt Road through at least two batches since 1999. Based on earlier reports, only the facade of the properties needs to be preserved, and the rear of the shophouses could be redeveloped up to 10 storeys high.

No 8 Tong Watt Road, which CapitaLand purchased last week, had been put up for auction by Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRA) to recover property taxes owed to it.

The 999-year leasehold, three-storey terrace house has yet to be restored and is the River Valley Conservation area. It has a land area of 2,751 sq ft.

Bidding for the property at the Knight Frank auction on Friday began at $6 million. The bidding was confined to just two to three parties, who drove the price up to $9 million before CapitaLand won.

·
mumbling imprecations
1,448 Posts
O wow, Chris! That's a wonderful series of "before" photos. :eek:kay:

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

As Raffi mentioned, we have indeed discussed this particular rehabilitation project in another thread, so that's why your photos looked vaguely familiar.

I do hope with you that the developer will indeed be very cautious and thoughtful in completing this project so that this wonderful old ensemble will remain, strengthened but unaltered. :master:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hybrids of " Modern & traditional "

Oh... My God. Conserving the facades and intergrating them with modern, high rise buildings behind them are fast catching on to be a new unique culture of Singapore Architecture.

I am not sure if these kind of "Old & traditional plus New & Modern " hybrids are good for Singapore's Conservation effort. ???

We have a thread on " Contrast of New & Old ", now they are combining "New & Old" in a development.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yup, I guess most of us forgot what Bugis junction was.... the facades of the old shophouse was retained in the "streets" like Hylam etc... any1 with old pics to share?

I feel it is more of a successful "conservation" than Far East Sq (and its neighbour which is so fake...) making FULL use of an old building and adapting it to modern use... fortunately the developer had the foresight to retain it although it was BEFORE the URA announce the conservation of the Beach Rd and Kg Glam area...

·
Lurker
14,081 Posts
Yup, I guess most of us forgot what Bugis junction was.... the facades of the old shophouse was retained in the "streets" like Hylam etc... any1 with old pics to share?

I feel it is more of a successful "conservation" than Far East Sq (and its neighbour which is so fake...) making FULL use of an old building and adapting it to modern use... fortunately the developer had the foresight to retain it although it was BEFORE the URA announce the conservation of the Beach Rd and Kg Glam area...
The Bugis Junction shophouses are fake, replicas.

I still can't believe tho, that half of Kg Glam was demolished in the mid 1990s. :(:eek:hno:

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Theyre owned by Capitaland as per the article. Eventually they should be restored since theyre under conservation status:

http://www.ura.gov.sg/conservation/plans/RiverValley.pdf

A friend who was in the area told me that theyre pretty much in the same dilapidated condition.

These pics were taken late last year.

Facade propped up by girders

I really love this lion detail, no doubt it will shine again in future

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.