Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well according to one very respected man ;) :cheers:

Ozzy Osbourne has been moaning that it is just simply too expensive to live in Britain, which is why he has chosen to live mainly in America.

Speaking to Now magazine Ozzy said: "I'm more at home in England but it's so fucking expensive.

"I don't know how people run cars, pay mortgages and go on holiday - you need to earn £5,000 a week.

"I filled the car with petrol and it cost £79! I asked the bloke if there was a hole in the tank.

"In America, if they put a dime on a gallon, people chain themselves to the gas pumps."

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
birminghamculture said:
"I don't know how people run cars, pay mortgages and go on holiday - you need to earn £5,000 a week.
My answer: They use more economic car models and don't use the car for every fucking meter. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
I'll swap my earnings with those of him and his missus if he wants?

I'm sorry, but rich people moaning about stuff being too expensive gets on my tits. There's immigrants on £4.80 per hour (probably plenty of illegals on less) and he's bitching?

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is what I have been telling people all the time... G.B. is hyper-overrated in everything starting from its currency... It is obvious why the entire industrial
infrstructure collapsed...

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Locust said:
This is what I have been telling people all the time... G.B. is hyper-overrated in everything starting from its currency... It is obvious why the entire industrial
infrstructure collapsed...
What do you mean the entire economic infrastructure collapsed? the UK has made a successful transition from industrial to service basd economy like many other industrial nations.

The standard of living is as high as other European nations, your post seems to be anti--British rhetoric rather than a sensible comment.

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
ZOHAR said:
how much earn every britainfor per hour) in UK?
The median full time salary is £22,000 ($42,000) per year, mean is £26,000 ($49,500) and the average person works about 46 weeks at 39 hours per week so per hour that works out at about £12.25 ($23.20) per hour median and £14.50 ($28.50) per hour mean.

The UK is expensive but there are more expensive countries, Switzerland, Norway and Japan spring to mind. The cost of living is also significantly less away from London and the South East of England.

If Ozzy's car costs £79 to fill he needs to get a smaller car or use public transport instead of destroying the environment.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jonesy55 said:
The median full time salary is £22,000 ($42,000) per year, mean is £26,000 ($49,500) and the average person works about 46 weeks at 39 hours per week so per hour that works out at about £12.25 ($23.20) per hour median and £14.50 ($28.50) per hour mean.
46 weeks p/year, means 6 weeks holidays p/year!??! Sorry, but I think the median holidays in UK is 4 weeks (?); moreover I believe the UK average salary is more around $ 28/30.000 p/year.

Uk remains one of the most expensive country in the world, specially for tourists!! :bash:

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
I'mBack said:
46 weeks p/year, means 6 weeks holidays p/year!??! Sorry, but I think the median holidays in UK is 4 weeks (?); moreover I believe the UK average salary is more around $ 28/30.000 p/year.

Uk remains one of the most expensive country in the world, specially for tourists!! :bash:
4-5 weeks holiday plus 8 days national holidays, most people I know have 5 weeks holiday plus bank holidays, median salary is £22,000 for a full-time job. mean is £26,000. maybe $28-30,000 if you include part-time workers, pensioners, children and unemployed. I think you are talking about GDP per capita PPP, not the same thing.

When I went on holiday in Italy in January, I found most things were about the same price as where I live in the UK (not London though)

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's exspensive in the UK, but no more exspensive than the rest of western europe, and certainly much cheaper than Scandinaiva. The only stinger is the property prices, but that's to be expected in a country as dense as the UK. Also the housing market has slowed down now to a much more sensible pace, which should give time for salaries to catch upto house prices.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
19,500$ per year but we are in 33th place(Israel very expensive too)
we have 8 holiday days on the week(not all)

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
I'm more at home in England but it's so fucking expensive.

...says ozzy in the muffled drunken british accent.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
jmancuso said:
I'm more at home in England but it's so fucking expensive.

...says ozzy in the muffled drunken british accent.

That's a Brummie accent... Barely British if you ask me ;)

Luxuries etc are very dear in the UK (but as others have said, no worse than Switzerland, Norway, Japan etc), but for the average low-income person stores like ASDA and TESCO sell food and clothing (and just about everything else) extremely cheap, so its not as if there are huddled tattered masses of starving people. Property is admittedly very expensive in many areas, but it is also very cheap in others (ok they're slums)... The main saving grace is the presence of Council / Housing Association Housing in places like London, which enables people on Low Incomes to live there.

I can see the UK being expensive for tourists, but even the poorest native Brits manage so that's not really our problem as long as the tourists keep coming (which they do).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Here is an example, a friend of mine went to a wedding in Scotland.. He told me that to go to the pub and order fish and chips costs the same amount as at home. But he had to pay about $2.50 canadian for every pound!.(so it cost him over double) That is my idea of G.B being expensive. I've heard many other make similar comments about prices across the pond.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts