SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NICE HAT.....
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've compiled all the illustrations I've drawn and put them all in one diagram. I thought the chances of anyone doing this for Toowoomba were slim to none lol.

This has been a little side project of mine for a few months now. More for shits and giggles though and a bit of fun too.

I've done my research on most but it has been a little challenging getting the exact heights for some of the structures.

If anyone else can find more accurate heights it would be much appreciated:)

http://postimage.org/

·
Optimist
7,275 Posts
^^ Awesome work! If only thats how dense the skyline was!

Reactions: leothelion

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Fantastic work Leothelion! Toowoombas higher buildings are so spread out, I've always wondered how they'd look all clustered together.

·
6,403 Posts
Great work leothelion. Excellently drawn. Reminds me of my Townsville building diagrams that I did...11 years ago! (holy crap! :lol:), except way better. So I'm just realising...are you the same person who used to be username Joe, and also JEM on SSP. I remember him drawing diagrams for Toowoomba years ago.

·
NICE HAT.....
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys:) Yeah it would be great if they were all clustered up together like that in a single area.

Not too bad yourself there Oriolus!! Especially considering how long ago you did them mate - software advancement and what not lol.... No I'm neither of those names on SSP, mine is CJSmooth. I know who your talking about though, he did do the original drawings years ago on there.

·
Optimist
7,275 Posts
What program do you use to draw these? I wouldn't mind having a go at a few buildings. :)

Reactions: Skyline Art

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks great and good work.
I must point out however that the heights indicated are way out.
I think you'll find the highest building in Toowoomba would be about 30 odd meters. There's certainly not 40m buildings but this doesn't take away the great work in producing this. Would be great to see similar for all major regional cities.

·
6,403 Posts
Looks great and good work.
I must point out however that the heights indicated are way out.
I think you'll find the highest building in Toowoomba would be about 30 odd meters. There's certainly not 40m buildings but this doesn't take away the great work in producing this. Would be great to see similar for all major regional cities.
I think you're right. Lets start with Cottesloe Crest, supposedly Toowoomba's tallest building. Here is its listing on Emporis. It has very specific height measurements of 48.89m to tip or 39.74m to roof, but it also lists the building as 16 storeys, which it is clearly not. It looks like 11 storeys to me (from the bottom of the slope). Emporis also has a floor to floor height of 3.00m, which is standard for a residential building, so that should equate to not much more then 33m to roof, probably about 34m, 35m at the most. The LMR crown turret looks to me to be about 6m at the most (height of 2 floors), and certainly not an extra 14m (height of 4-5 floors). So I reckon Cottesloe Crest could be about 40m, but I don't see how it could be 48.89m.

source: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-east+toowoomba-116810423

source: Google Street View

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oriolus, your pretty correct in your workings. Always difficult with a building on a slope but looking at Toowoombas tallest building Cottesloe it has 11 floors from the lowest to highest point.
When designing buildings we usually work on a max of 3.1m floor to roof for apartment buildings and around 3.9m for office complexes. (although some office buildings do go less).
I know of a few apartment buildings that have the luxury of some taller floors to give a bit more luxurious feel but you pay for it. Looking at the design and pictures (internal/external) of Cottesloe it is towards the minimum of 3.1m per floor. That will take it to about 33m floor to roof.
I notice Emporis is very inaccurate with some of it's quoted heights and floors mainly in regional areas where it's hard to verify.
This is why a nine story office building will be about the same height as an 11 story apartment building floor to roof.

·
NICE HAT.....
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What program do you use to draw these? I wouldn't mind having a go at a few buildings. :)
Try it out Eastern37! For these I used Photoshop. I feel it's the best program to do details, lighting and shadows. It has so many features! There are other programs but Photoshops definitely my fav for illustration and concept art:)

·
NICE HAT.....
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So guys it looks like I have to make a few adjustments in the diagram.

So have we establish that Cottesloe Crest is not the tallest building in Toowoomba? Otherwise I'd say it would be out of Easternwell Centre and Central Plaza no? Or even maybe The Base Hospital? Central Plaza has 10 floors with 3 lower levels of retail and office which are reasonably high floor to ceiling, so I would assume that it would be just a little higher than Cottesloe.

Maybe we can work out a new title holder between these 2:)

http://postimage.org/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whats the go with the Eastpointe apartments? I see you've included them but I was under the impression that nothing was really happening with them at the moment.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
^^ i believe FKG will relook at Eastpointe soon. They've said they might update the design as well. I got the impression that this would happen soon after Quest Apartments is finished, so maybe we'll see some news soon.

·
NICE HAT.....
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update of the Toowoomba buildings diagram with the new Oaks and Inspire on the right. I'm aware some of the heights we've mentioned before are off, but it's the best info I've been able to track down over the years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts