Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As this forum is international and as there're quite a few who comes to Lithuanian sub-forum asking or looking for the reccomendation of what to see in Vilnius, I've decided to make a thread for those looking for information and present my own opition of what they should see in Vilnius.

So here's a top 10 places you must see in Vilnius

Bernardinai gardens

It is the main park of central Vilnius, reconstructed a year ago, full of fountains, lake, river and many different types of plants.

Vilnius churches

you can freely get inside to most of them. However, because there are tons of them, I would reccomend to get to:
- St. Paul's church - I really like the inside, with hundreads of slucptures on the walls.

- Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard

- Gate of Dawn - is a city-gate of Vilnius old town, and one of the most important religious, historical and cultural monuments in the city. Has a famoust golden painting of Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn, seen in the window in the picture bellow.

There're not just Chatolic churches, but many of Protestant, Ortodox, Jews churches as well. Just like there are Catholic churches for polish etc. So which churches you gonna like might depend of a persons religious beliefs.

Presidental Palace and Vilnius University

President Palace, left in the picture Vilnius University is visible

Vilnius University established in 1579, was one of the first universities in Central Europe. Bell tower is adopted to a touristic use and there's a nice view from up there. If you're lucky - you can get inside of many of University's ansamble yards.

if you are even more lucky - you can get inside the university and visit some halls, such as:

City Hall Square

I would say it's the second best square in Vilnius with City Hall infront

City Hall

Gediminas avenue

it is a central street of central Vilnius. Often it is considered as a main street of the town. Lithunia's parlament and government are located there.

St. Anne's church

St. Anne's church is a prominent landmark in the Old Town of Vilnius and is often considered as the most beautiful church in Vilnius, even though it is one of the smallest too.

Pilies street
It is touristic famous street in Vilnius, main street of the old town.

The Republic of Užupis

In 1997, the residents of the area declared the Republic of Užupis, along with its own flag, currency, president, cabinet of ministers, a constitution written by Romas Lileikis and Thomas Chepaitis, an anthem, and an army (numbering approximately 11 men). It's basically an area of the artist and art.

Gediminas Tower and Hill

On this hill used to stand a castle. Now there's only some remainings of it and Gediminas Tower with the museum. The museum itself is not very instresting, however the view from the tower (little bit less from the hill) is marvelous - both Vilnius Old town and New City centre is well visible from up there.

Cathedral Square

Main square of Vilnius and Lithuania. It is accompanied by Cathedral, Bell Tower and Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania.

You can get not only to Cathedral, but also to the catacombs underneath. Bell tower is also adopted to a touristic use. And there's a museum in the Palace of the Grand Dukes.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
In the reccomendations above you won't se the real No. 1 reccomendation - which is an old town. But most of the places reccomended are already in the old town. The old town itself is very big and it is worth expoloring it in a more detail view.

Also as this forum is about architecture mainly, if I'll have time, I will post Top10 modern architecture buildings that you can see in Vilnius.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
This is a really great post. Lovely city. Thanks Eidvis!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering what were some neighborhoods/districts in Vilnius to explore? As well as notable restaurants, bars, cafés, coffee shops, etc. Also, is there any good Soviet/mid-century architecture in the city? I will be visiting few a few days later on this month, and will appreciate any and all recommendations! Thanks!

·
shaman is back
653 Posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering what were some neighborhoods/districts in Vilnius to explore? As well as notable restaurants, bars, cafés, coffee shops, etc. Also, is there any good Soviet/mid-century architecture in the city? I will be visiting few a few days later on this month, and will appreciate any and all recommendations! Thanks!
Hello there!

A usual "Tourist Happy Meal": Old town + Užupis + half day trip to Trakai.
For bars - go to the corner of Vilniaus & Islandijos streets and pop into any one you like.
For food:
https://www.facebook.com/timeforfood/info
https://www.facebook.com/DramaBurger/info
http://www.meatloverspub.lt/
https://www.facebook.com/briuslybar/info?ref=page_internal
Etc.

Have fun!

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vilnius soviet architecture is best observed from TV tower. There's a restorant up there that circles around observation deck.

I'm not expert in architecture, so I'm not sure which soviet style buildings are considered to be of a high architecture value. Some say National Ar Gallery is such. Located in New City Centre.

Some say this arena is an example of soviets style. Some want it to be torned down as it is located close to the Old town. However it was decided to presereve and there are some plans to reconstruct it. Well visible from Gediminas Tower hill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts