Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nava.org/Flag Design/city_survey.htm

So, there it is, your thoughts.

I personally think that Oakland, CA and Seattle, WA should be higher and I also like Fresno, CA quite a bit. Besides that I guess it makes sense, except for Denver being #3, top 20 sure, but not 3. I believe Pocatello deserves it's spot at the bottom, awful, just awful.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh my god! Pocatello's flag :cripes: Plus it says "proud to be", it should be in the FAIL blog. :lol:
DC definately deserves the first place, the flag is simple and somehow the flag just reminds you of DC. :)

·
The Punk With the Camera
8,604 Posts
Our flag sucks. We're the freakin' state capital of California, and we get some blue and white squiggles with "City of Sacramento" at the bottom. Come on, can't we have something official looking, something that says we're the government center? At least put the state seal on there, for crying out loud!

Also, I wouldn't think NYC's would be so low. I always thought it was a rather simple, yet elegant flag.

·
re
480 Posts
I agree with the top choices. The simpler the better. A flag is a logo, and logos are supposed to use the theory of economy, meaning that it should be recognizable no matter how small or far away you are from it. The top choices easily fit that category. All those intricate designs look like a mess the more you shrink the image. NYC looks like a city in France.

·
Live from red brick mama
368 Posts
Portland's flag is totally awesome and retro in an early '80s kind of way. I also like Baltimore's.

Some the flags for some of the smaller cities are absolutely embarrassing-- Lubbock, TX and Mesa, AZ have to be the worst.

I am surprise Milwaukee's ranks so low-- I don't think it's so bad.

·
re
480 Posts
Here's what they have from the website

1. Keep It Simple
The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory…

2. Use Meaningful Symbolism
The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it
symbolizes…

3. Use 2–3 Basic Colors
Limit the number of colors on the flag to three, which contrast well and
come from the standard color set…

4. No Lettering or Seals
Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal…

5. Be Distinctive or Be Related
Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections…

·
The Punk With the Camera
8,604 Posts
Yeah, thank god. What few tourists we get would probably laugh their asses off.

Thankfully, the state flag is pretty good, and that's flown just about everywhere.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.