Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me what 5 things you would like to see built in Tokyo. But please keep it realistic no fantasy. It does not just have to be skyscrapers, it could be a new town square or a temple or stadium. It can be anything as long its realistic.

My five

1) New Tokyo Castle, I would love to see a new castle near the palace that would also be open to the public.Think about it tokyo is lacking on the tourist front of things,so it would be great for the city to have something as traditional as a Japanese castle what the public and tourists can go to visit.They could have many cultural events there and it could also house a musem.If they made one big and grand enough it could become a land mark.This would also give people a reason to go to the palace grounds because there isnt musch to see at the palace most of the time because it only opens its gates a few times a year to the public. I heard on NHK news that there might be some interest in building a new castle in Tokyo And why should Nagoya and Osaka have a catsle and not Tokyo?

2)Appoint a comercial city center that the public and tourists can recognise visually and stick with it. What i mean by this is that Tokyo changes an awful lot so places such as Shinjuku,Shibuya and Ginza are to me,losing it a bit as of the past few years.They just dont look as cool as the used to,It may sound a bit sad but these places to me were cool because of all the neon and advertising.It just seems that day by day more and more neon and cool adverts are being taken down and not being replaced and why i ask? (Are they trying to be green?) They have taken down at least 10 to 20 signs in both Shinjuku and Ginza and now it seems that Shibuya is starting to suffer the same fate, what with H.M.V closing down this year the iconic H.M.V sign is now gone(does anyone know what will replace H.M.V ?) Also the Samsung sign has gone same as the ask.jp tv screen that was next to it only to be replaced by posters and also the casio watch has gone too.Its a shame because these places that we recognise are slowly losing their identity where places such as Times square New York and piccadilly circus London Stay mostly the same and if not get better as time goes on.What i am basically trying to say is that Tokyo needs its own Times square where they can concentrate on putting all the neon signs and advertisement in that one place and stick with it.

If anyone has any info on new Tokyo neon and advertiseing such as any sites,blogs,forums,threads i would be very grateful.

3) 300m Skyscraper, Come on now lets not be stupid, we all know by now they could have easily built at least ten or even more 300m+ Skyscrapers.If they can have Tokyo tower and soon to be one of the top ten tallest buildings in the world the Tokyo sky tree, they can also have a 300m skyscraper in my eyes.:lol:

4) New multi purpose stadium, I think most of Tokyo's stadiums a quite old and a lot of other cities in Japan have far better newer more modern ones.

5) Western style housing area, Because i am from the west i am used to big western homes with garderns and a front porch this is something not just tokyo lacks but also most of Japan. But they are starting to be made though.
And as time goes by and Tokyo keeps on getting more and more 100m+ condominiums to house the majority of Tokyo met's 30 or so million, i think there would be enough space to start clearing out old low rise buildings and make some housing areas with big houses. But this can only happen when Tokyo gets taller.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
#1 has a movement behind it..it's not a new castle but they want to rebuild the Edo Castle which was burnt 1657 and never rebuilt. It's rock foundations are still in place after all these years. You can read about it here: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20100718x1.html

I disagree with your #5 though, I hope Tokyo never makes large western (in this case I am thinking of american) houses. It's a drain on resources and will make the city inefficient (car oriented). I hope the houses stay as they are which are sort of like townhouses...well I could agree with breaking down some of the old "commie blocks" and replacing them with (japanese) houses.

I really only have 2 I would like.

#1 Adding greenery everywhere, including rooftops, side streets etc.

#2 300m + tall buildings :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NihonKitty Thanx for the post. I would definitely agree with your first choice Tokyo does need as much greenery as it can get! And thankfully it is doing so, I like the idea of them taking away all the ugly utility poles and replacing them with trees.Tokyo's streets will be so beautiful in a few years time.I mean just imagine summer and autumm it would be so nice Tokyo's roads lined with trees that change with the seasons.

As you know i already agree with your 2nd I think we all want a 300m+ scrapers in Tokyo.

As for the western style houses,I dont want these to replace any houses that are already in Tokyo.I think the old housing streets in Tokyo are beautiful and have lots of character but at the same time look so cyber-punk and blade-runner,because cyber-punk is about low life living along side high tech and thats the feeling i get from these old streets to they appear very shanty town style but most of the houses are equiped with some of the fastest internet speeds in the world thanks to the over hanging telephone poles that can be easily be uppgraded,and also some of the houses have solar panels on as well. But a time will come when most of these streets will be destroyed either by a earthquake or by big corps like Mori who seize land which also contain many houses and then destroy everything and then build a big ass skyscraper on top of it, even though to me that is not such a bad thing because Roppongi hills mori tower is my favorite skyscraper in the world because of its sheer overall size mass.But sometimes i would prefer them to build some new bigger houses instead of another scraper,think about if they started making more 300m+ in the first place instead of all these 100m to 150m buildings they wouldnt need to build as many buildings giving more chance to get rid of the commie blocks and put some new houses there.Plus i dont want to argue because you have put a lot into this site and i thankyou for that but i just dont know what you mean by taking away the commie blocks and putting japanese houses there,whats a Japanese house? When i walk around Tokyo all the houses i see are of western design the only differenance i see is the roof tiles but the main body of the house is western.And i also live with about 80 Japanese people in a 11 story share house.Most of the Japanese people i ask say they would love to live in a big western style house but also want to live in the capital city.Alot of them say it can get quite depressing living in a tiny studio apartment and paying a lot out of there wages for it.So alot stay outside alot and there home for sleep and also dont have the relationship with their families as they would like to because there is just not enough room and also alot of them tell me they would not like to be one of the forgoten dead in a appartment block like what seems to be happening in Tokyo alot with its ageing population so from what i hear i think some bigger houses would be welcome in Tokyo,it doesnt mean they need to get rid of the old streets as well, because i would hate that to.

Lastly what do you think about my 2nd choice?

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I don't have an opinion on your #2. Actually I kind of like how Tokyo has many centers instead of one...

As for houses, I don't know the houses in Tokyo seem the same as the house of my grandparents which is 250 years old in Fukuoka (before any western influence). I guess some of the material is more modern, but they're still mostly made out of wood, similar roof tiles and many houses still have the sliding doors and rooms to be used "on the floor". By western I mean american, which are the huge houses. I live in the american suburbs right now (while I study) and it was nice at first...but I absolutely despise it now...actually most of my japanese friends who hated "dense" japan now hate american suburbs after living there. I think a balance between the 2 is good..which you can already find in the Tokyo suburbs and cities like Sendai etc. I don't mind getting rid of the commie blocks and replacing them with house, as long as they are not in the american cookie cutter style, Tokyo always needs to stay urban with rail everywhere..otherwise it's not Tokyo. Just move to Sapporo then (or the US) :p

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
BTW about the green, it is sort of happening now. Maybe you've noticed. I already noticed they added grass to many elementary schools this summer :)

10 Year Project for Green Tokyo. It started in 2006/2007

To double roadside trees in Tokyo to 1 million
• Formation of a “green road network” connecting large scale plots of greenery with roadside trees
Creation of a green island in Tokyo as large as the Imperial Palace’s grounds (Development of Umi-no-Mori)
• Creation of a green space with a size of 1,000 ha (equal to the total area of 1,500 football fields)
• To wage a “green movement,” a Tokyo-wide campaign to gather momentum for greening and to encourage action

BTW if you're curious how they will double the roadside trees in Tokyo, read this. For all you people who hate the roadside utility poles and electrical wires everywhere..

Roadside utility poles will be replaced by trees. Roadside trees will be increased to approximately 700,000 trees in four years. They will be doubled to 1 million trees by the end of fiscal 2015.
• All utility poles along metropolitan roads within a central core area will be removed by the end of fiscal 2015. Utility poles along metropolitan roads mainly in commercial districts outside the central core area will also be removed. After removing the poles, trees will be planted to create a beautiful urban landscape and form a corridor of abundant roadside greenery, making Tokyo into a more livable city.

This picture shows where the Umi no Mori island park is being built on landfill (trash)

You can read all about this 10 year plan for a green Tokyo here (in english).
http://www2.kankyo.metro.tokyo.jp/pdf/F/10-year_project.pdf

Also buildings larger then 1,000 m2 have to use 20% or more of roof the usably roof space as green roofs.

More info:
http://www.kankyo.metro.tokyo.jp/
http://www.toshiseibi.metro.tokyo.jp/index.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I totally agree that Tokyo needs to stay urban thats one of the reasons why i live here because it feels like everytime i step out on to the street i am steping on to the set of Bladerunner lol Tokyo is what every other city will look like in about 20 to a 70 years time just a mass of buildings. Tokyo is so amazing in sheer volume i love it. But i also think that a city like New york is a good example of a city that as the ubanism of Tokyo but also have beautiful housing areas as well.The reason why i cant live in New York is that i love Japanese music so much that its my dream to make it in a band in Tokyo and also the otaku stuff lol and the best food in the world and the girls are so nice and cute if i could have a wife like Mariko Shinoda i would be the happiest man alive.Tokyo has better shops and entertainment as well,such as game centers and karaoke.On the most part Tokyo is really safe and the trains are never late.

To put a different spin on my 2nd choice i think that they are taking away tokyo's gritty urban look by taking down a lot of its Neon signs i dont know if it matters to you if you are from Japan but to a foreigner its something we identify with Japan at night like the famous
neon wall in Osaka's Dotonbori //te.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B0%A6%E0%B0%B8%E0%B1%8D%E0%B0%A4%E0%B1%8D%E0%B0%B0%E0%B0%82:Osaka_dotonbori_canal.JPG[/IMG] If there were no lights there no one would take pics of it right? So i just want to know if you have any idea why they seem to be taking alot of these signs down are they trying to go green?

·
48,090 Posts
Tokyo has enough high class residential areas, like Aoyama, Akasaka, parts of Ebisu, they are just too expensive for regular people especially if you want a big house.

~~~~~~~~

My first proposal.

1. A new fast Yamanote Line

A high speed commuter line inside of Tokyo that will ease the pressure on the Yamanote Line that brings all the main sub-centers closer together.

I will try to think of some more when I'm at work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was thinking almost the same thing, then just a Anime Theme Park.
Anime theme park would have a lot of troubles related to the complex web of copyrights and stuff. Nintendoland is a lot easier, especially given that Miyamoto Shigeru is up for it and all it takes is that Nintendo lets their stuff to Oriental Land Corp (the operator of Disneyland). The legal infrastructure is already in place.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep i agree with 2co2co, The copyrights would be a tough one to get in place for a anime park.Plus a lot more people recognise nintendo characters worlwide.Quite a lot of people think Mario is an American creation (lol) not Japanese.I guess its the same as a few of my Japanese friends think mcdonalds is Japanese.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just like solid snake, he is a Japanese creation but in the Metal gear story he is from America.

And about the Mcdonalds thing i do know at least two people from Tokyo who thought Mcdonalds was Japanese.And i wouldnt say that was that dumb,if you think about it Mcdonalds has become so ingrained in to popular Japanese culture, because they get a lot of cool concept eateries and burgers what not many other countries get.
And for some reason Mcdonalds in Japan seems like a good hang out spot, especially in Shibuya for the Gals, Some people practically live in Mcdonalds in Japan.According to 118 118 in England that can answer most questions.If you ask it which city has the most Mcdonalds it comes up with Tokyo at about 850, and i think that is true because i live in Kiba Koto-ku and on my street alone there are four Mcdonalds with about 2 to 5 mins walking distance of each other (THATS CRAZY) The city where im from which is a big tourist city, only has four Mcdonalds for the entire city.

And if you go and watch a lot of the Youtube gaijin vloggers most of them say they have encountered Japanese people who thought Mcdonalds was Japanese and that even KFC was to.

Its just the same as some of my friends in England who think that Sharp,JVC,Cannon,Sony,L.G (Lifes Good),olympus and Maxell are all western companies because they all have european names.

So maybe if i was born in Tokyo and had a Mcdonalds on most street corners, then maybe i would think Mcdonalds was Japanese to until told otherwise.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Segale#Nintendo_Mario_series_legacy his namesake

and he's been an Italian-American plumber since his debut
In the games he just sounds like an italian straight from Italy. I see he was named after an italian american though. I don't think any japanese except a few think mcdonalds is japanese because it is written in Katakana which is foreign. I grew up in Japan all my life and this is the first time I heard about japanese thinking mcdonalds is japanese :p. Maybe in Tokyo it's more common :dunno:

Edit: well now that I think about it Moss Burger uses a foreign name but it's japanese.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts