SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ANYONE had a feed at any of these joints ????
Remember the Melb guys talking about Flowerdrum a while back.
Cant see how that Sydney one can beat Kiko Malaysian at Illawarra Rd Marrickville myself....

Sydney's world class nosh
AAP. April 20, 2005 - 2:57PM

It's not exactly snail porridge but a Sydney restaurant's orange, honey and black pepper sorbet is an international hit.
Tetsuya's, which serves up the unique fruity dish with a twist, has been voted the fourth best restaurant in the world by influential British industry magazine, 'Restaurant'.

A converted English pub, The Fat Duck, whose signature dish is snail porridge, took top honours in Restaurant Magazine's World's 50 Best Restaurant awards.

Tetsuya's was one of only three Australian eateries to make it onto the list, with Melbourne's Flower Drum at number 33 and Sydney's Rockpool at 42.

Tetsuya Wakuda arrived in Sydney from Japan in 1982, and his restaurant has been a Sydney landmark for the past 18 years.
Tetsuya's cuisine is based on the Japanese philosophy of natural seasonal flavours, enhanced by classic French technique, cooked in an Australian way.

The top 50 restaurant list was compiled by an international panel of more than 500 chefs, food critics and restaurateurs, comparing factors including culinary excellence, service and overall dining experience and listed in 'Restaurant' magazine.

1. The Fat Duck, England
2. El Bulli, Spain
3. The French Laundry, California
4. Tetsuya's, Sydney
5. Gordon Ramsay, London
6. Pierre Gagnaire, Paris
7. Per Se, New York
8. Tom Aikens, London
9. Jean Georges, New York
10. St John, London
11. Michel Bras Laguiole, France
12. Le Louis XV, Monte Carlo
13. Chez Panisse, California
14. Charlie Trotter, Chicago
15. Gramercy Tavern, New York
16. Guy Savoy, Paris
17. Restaurant Alain Ducasse, Paris
18. The Gallery at Sketch, London
19. The Waterside Inn Bray, Berkshire
20. Nobu, London
21. Restaurante Arzak San Sebastian, Spain
22. El Raco de Can Fabes San Celoni, Spain
23. Checcino dal 1887, Rome
24. Le Meurice, Paris
25. L'Hotel de Ville Crissier, Switzerland
26. L'Arpege, Paris
27. Angela Hartnett at the Connaught, London
AdvertisementAdvertisement
28. Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons, Oxford
29. Le Cinq, Paris
30. Hakkasan, London
31. Cal Pep, Barcelona
32. Masa, New York
33. Flower Drum, Melbourne
34. WD50, New York
35. Le Quartier Francais Franschhoek, South Africa
36. Spice Market, New York
37. Auberge de l'Ill Illhaeusern, Alsace
38. Manresa, California
39. Restaurant Dieter Muller Begisch Gladbach, Germany
40. La Maison Troisgros Roanne, France
41. The Wolseley, London
42. Rockpool, Sydney
43. Yauatcha, London
44. The Ivy, London
45. Gambero Rosso San Vincenzo, Italy
46. The Cliff St James, Barbados
47. Le Gavroche, London
48. Enoteca Pinchiorri, Florence
49. Felix, Hong Kong
50. La Tupina, Bordeaux

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
Haven't eaten in Tets. I don't know how Rockpool got in that list when Marque (Sydney) is waaay better, as is Ezard at Adelphi (Melbourne), which is probably my favourite.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Go on, be an asswipe.

But know that the supposed dineing capital of Aust was beat by Sydney on more way than one (Rank and numbers)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I'm always very suspicious of this annually issued list.
And I'm not the only one. It's been losing credibility for some years now with chefs outside of the UK.
Basically, let's look at the stats. 14 of the 50 restaurants are English (including the No. 1) - 11 of which are in London.
Only 9 are French - 6 of which are Parisian. Seems a pawlty figure given that France has long been considered a world centre of gastronomic excellence.

The magazine that complies the list is London based. Now I don't know about you...but I ALWAYS believe everything I read in the British media.

No. Basically, the British are pretty insecure about their food. It's been ridiculed for years by almost every country in the world - particularly other European countries. It's still not got the best reputation abroad. This is just an exercise at sticking the finger up at the rest of the world and trying to prove that the UK is now the culinary capital of the world. More and more London restaurants are being squeezed into the list every year, and I'm not surprised that they finally made an English restaurant Numero Uno this year. It was on the cards for years. I'm just suprised that they didn't realise that doing so would finally give the game away.
In all fairness, I haven't eaten at the "Fat ****", or whatever it's called, but I CAN tell you that there are some London restaurants included in the list that leave me clueless as to what sort of criteria they use to choose which restaurants are worthy (apart from the fact that they are in London).

Hakkasan over Rockpool and Felix (Hong Kong) !!?
New restaurants are opening all the time in Australia and yet the SAME Australian restaurants appear every year. This is because the magazine is only interested in what's going on in London - they just shuffle the rest of the list around as it appeared in the first edition. After all, you can't have 50 London restaurants - that'd be too obvious (that said, the Kebab shop down the road from me has GOT to be the best in the Northern Hemisphere)

That's why you don't see any new entries from the myriad of great new restaurants that have opened in Oz recently - like Ezard, for example.

It's great that they deigned to reserve three places for Aussie restaurants, but don't be too proud of them - this list's a crock of shit and not worth the napkin it's written on. Paris will never recognise London as the food capital of the planet. But London seems to think that if it believes it's own hype enough, then the rest of the world will soon follow.

Rant over....oh PS. Flower Drum is great food..but I believe it should be refurbished. Alot of a restaurant's appeal is also in it's design and atmosphere and Rockpool and Tetsuyas have that in spades

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Texcoco said:
Waaaa...there's obviously something VERY wrong here..why no Brisbane (our culinary capital) restaurant...Jayt?
You're a Dick!!!

You should keep your mouth shut unless you have something constructive to say. K.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
lol Tex.

You should just leave, even your fellow Victorian thinks so.

and lol @ that article. It does seem a bit bias after the stats.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there should be a list of eateries where you can book and get a table within one week and entree + main costs below $80 for example. Ive heard stories about 6 month long waiting lists and $100 entrees !!! Thats not exactly up the alley of 99% of people who like to dine out !!!!!!

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Texcoco said:
Waaaa...there's obviously something VERY wrong here..why no Brisbane (our culinary capital) restaurant...Jayt?
Well Brizzy hasn't done bad. From memory over the last 10 years Brisbane has won best national restaurant in Australia 3 times - along with Melbourne. Not bad for a city of just 1.8 million. Sydney has won it twice while Canberra and Adelaide have won it once each.

Course I have no source to back it up, just an article from the sunday mail I read a few months ago. LOL - I should have posted it to ruffle a few feathers but I try not to do that anymore.

As for 'culinary capital' - where do you think Modern Australian cuisine came from before the name was changed in the 90s.

Enuff sed!
jt

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
Tony P said:
Haven't eaten in Tets. I don't know how Rockpool got in that list when Marque (Sydney) is waaay better, as is Ezard at Adelphi (Melbourne), which is probably my favourite.
Agree. Tets and Flower Drum aren't that good IMHO. But Tet's signature dish - the Atlantic salmon - is to die for! But you only get a couple of bites! Very poor value IMHO. Haven't tried Rockpool, though. Ezard and Geoff Lindsay's Pearl in Melbourne are my favs - excellent value fine dining. And look at the list - hardly any restaurants in Italy. What's most interesting is that hardly any other cities got into the list apart from the "world cities" - London, NY, Paris, Tokyo, HK, Sydney. Then there's Melbourne! woo hoo! No comparable cities on the list!

·
Banned
33 Posts
Sorry..didn't realise Dean and Jayt were dating. You're a pretty humourless bunch!

Cows?...no cows here - wine, citrus, education, retail, light manufacturing and services. We're a typical Victorian rural city... museums, galleries, quality restaurants! Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Texcoco said:
Sorry..didn't realise Dean and Jayt were dating. You're a pretty humourless bunch!

Cows?...no cows here - wine, citrus, education, retail, light manufacturing and services. We're a typical Victorian rural city... museums, galleries, quality restaurants! Thanks for your interest.
Doesnt Mildura also have the longest 'straight' main street in Aust ???

Looking at the map it appears closer to Adel than it does to its capital, Melb ? If so does this mean you get all the SA news and stuff on tv and papers etc.

·
Banned
33 Posts
^^^
You going out with Jayt too? Poor Malt & poor QLD (per capita income)! You guys only started wearing shoes in the 90s..sounds like convict heritage insecurity to me..tee hee.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Mildura is actually a fabulous city. It is classy and has a great resturant run by a world renowned chef, I think it is in the basement of the Grand Hotel or somthing like that, the Chef Stefano. It is fabulous and one of the better resturants in Australia that I have seen, including the fit out. The citrus farms, the Murray River, the perpetual sunny warm weather and the gardens and town maintinance are exceptional, I really loved Mildura.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts