SkyscraperCity banner

Do you support the Conservatives (Tories)?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tories grow more popular

ALEXANDER PANETTA

Canadian Press

Ottawa — The Conservatives have seized a commanding lead in popularity over the Liberals and inched into majority-government territory, says a new survey released Wednesday.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Tories held a 15-point advantage over the Liberals and broke past what is considered the benchmark for winning a majority government, says the Decima poll.

However, the survey was taken before the government stirred up a hornet's nest with a pair of controversial decisions involving the military.

The Conservatives stood at 41 per cent — one point above the mark that is traditionally considered the dividing line that separates majorities from minorities.

The Liberals held 26 per cent and the NDP, despite its continued efforts to chip away at Liberal support, remained a distant third at 19 per cent.

Decima's chief pollster says the Conservatives have been steadily gaining ground since the election. They won a minority government with 36 per cent of the popular vote on Jan. 23.

“(They) appear to be continuing to solidify the gains they made in the last election campaign and to perhaps be adding support as well,” Bruce Anderson said.

It's not yet clear what impact, if any, more recent events may have on Conservative popularity.

Mr. Harper was lambasted in the media and ridiculed in several editorial cartoons Wednesday for shutting down a military base to restrict public viewing of the homecoming ceremony for four fallen soldiers.

One such cartoon in the Halifax Herald showed the Prime Minister hoisting an American flag atop the Peace Tower. Another depicted the Conservative party flag at half-mast, and one showed Mr. Harper flapping from a flagpole.

The government has refused to lower the Maple Leaf on Parliament Hill but has lowered flags at some military points at home and abroad.

Mr. Anderson, however, said he doubted this week's controversy would reverse Tory momentum.

“I'd be surprised if that changed very much as a consequence of this week,” he said.

The Conservatives especially gained support among groups that have traditionally been lukewarm to the party: women, young people and urban Canadians.

Mr. Anderson says those gains indicate the Tories are earning a reputation as a moderate party and appealing to middle-of-the-road voters.

“They have been ... building a reputation as centrist in governing style, (and) surprising some people in the demographic groups that have resisted the Conservative Party in recent years.”

The Conservatives had more support than the Liberals among women as well as men, among every age group, in urban as well as rural areas and in every region except Atlantic Canada, the poll said.

The governing party had a seven-point lead over the Liberals in Ontario, where the Liberals currently hold the lion's share of seats. The Tories held 40 per cent in that province, the Liberals 33 per cent, and the NDP had 25 per cent.

The Conservatives remained three points ahead of the Liberals in Quebec, but both parties continued to languish far behind the Bloc Québécois. In Quebec, the Bloc held 43 per cent, the Tories had 25 per cent, and the Liberals were at 22.

The telephone poll of 1,002 Canadians was conducted April 20 to 23, and has a 3.1 per cent margin of error, 19 times out of 20.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I'm greatly looking to the $0.41/month I will save with the GST cut! Also the cut I'm expecting in my quarter-annual GST cheque! With the less money I get for being poor and a lower GST rate, I won't have to worry about buying things that charge GST at all!

Now let's disgrace our troops!

/sarcasm

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Screw the Cons. With teh Censure they are trying to implement, they are acting like a dictatorship. They think that stopping the media from showing pictures of the returning dead soldiers is gonna improve teh war effort. Bunch of Morons.

Could Harper try harder to kiss Bush's Ass? I think not!

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Sadly no.
I was anti-conservative but they came into power with lots of good ideas (and bad) and they actually started acting apon them.
Now the bad ideas are out weighing the good.

I'm dissapointed with Canada once again.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
habsfan said:
. They think that stopping the media from showing pictures of the returning dead soldiers is gonna improve teh war effort
Shouldn't their family have the right to privacy and not have to be plastered all over the media when their fallen loved ones return?

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
^ It has nothing to do with family privacy. I can't believe people buy into that crap. They are just using that as a smokescreen for the real topic.

The Cons want to keep public support of Canada's war efforts, they are trying censor the reality. For every dead soldier the Canadian public sees support goes down. The Conservatives don't want us to see this so support stays high and they can continue on their military path without opposition.

The censorship doesn't even work anyway. As we saw recently the media just goes across the street and films from there. The only difference was we saw a barbed-wire fence on the screen.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
First it was Harper not having the flags at half-mast than he bans media coverage of the homecoming of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Now he's being a sell-out with the lumber dispute.

Combine all that with the COMPLETE lack of action on the feds to deal with the native standoff in Caledona. It's a federal government responsibility to deal with native land claims but it only took them to react after months of blocking a housing development, a big nasty raid and now Caledonia is being held hostage with a complete blockade of the town.

Where the hell is the federal government to free the people of Caledonia from a hostage?!

Screw the Conservatives.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Im always amazed as to where the cons get their votes, every little internet poll iv seen the majority of people dont support them, so who the hell is voting for them?

By the way last I heared the lumber people are going to turn this inulting offer down, the funiest thing about it is that $500million of Canadian money would be going to New Orleans, i mean what the fck does New Orleans have to do with any of this?

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Hmm... although I agree with not lowering the flag considering war verterns themselves agree... we can put this behind us.

1 billion was given to the U.S? For what? LOL what's a measely 1 bill gunna do?
They need $49 billion more just to keep the war in Iraq going this year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
thats pennies ^compared to what they(US)are going to spend on canadian oil in the next 30 years.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Actually from what I've read, most veterans are majorly against the non-flag-lowering. At least out here. So the softwood deal is finalized?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought governments were supposed to try and benifit their own country..

At first, I didn't like the conservatives, and then once they came to power, I started to like them. Now with the softwood lumber, not lowering flags, and hiding dead soldiers to try and fool the public, I fucking hate them

I can't wait till the next election so I can do my part to boot them out of power

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Canada didn't give America 1 billion dollars, they took it from us, then, when we asked for it back, we said 'Oh, you only want to give us for billion? Okay.' Then Harper bent over and Bush ass-fucked him.

That's how they roll.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts