1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tornado rips through southern Perth
19:04 AEST Mon Jun 9 2008
original article www.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=577054

At least one tornado smashed its way through southern Perth on Monday, ripping roofs off houses and causing mass blackouts, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

About 50 elderly residents of the Tanby Hall hostel near Rockingham were evacuated to safety as destructive winds tore off the building's roof and water poured in at about 8.30am (WST).

No one was reported injured but the hall is expected to be closed for two days.

The Bureau of Meteorology had issued a severe weather warning for much of the south-west of the state, including Perth.

Winds reached 104km/h at Ocean Reef in Perth's north, with a bureau spokesman saying they would have been much stronger in Rockingham.

"We had at least one tornado confirmed in Rockingham, just on the damage trail from it," the spokesman said.

The State Emergency Service (SES) received 192 calls for help, including about 140 in the Rockingham area.

Across Perth, 30 homes suffered major structural damage, the SES said.

Western Power said 12,000 homes were left without power, with about half of those in Rockingham.

Police were urging drivers to avoid downed power lines in the southern suburbs of Safety Bay and Shoalwater.

The Bureau of Meteorology has now cancelled the severe weather warning, but says more squally showers are expected.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Why use the term lightly? We get proven tornadoes every winter and although they are extremely weak in comparison to US tornadoes they still have the power to wipe out homes just the same.
I'm not doubting that-- we have them in Victoria too (I've heard the triangle between Melbourne, Adelaide and Broken Hill to be Australia's own tornado belt), it's just what Australia experiences is really nothing compared to what goes on in the US seemingly every year. Again, use the term lightly.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well this is hugely different to Dunoon F2 tornado north of Lismore last October series of supercells. That tornado appears to be alot more dangerous than one at Perth had few days ago. It has proven damage path, proven results and reliability.

Therefore that South Perth one doesn't have any reliability.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'm not doubting that-- we have them in Victoria too (I've heard the triangle between Melbourne, Adelaide and Broken Hill to be Australia's own tornado belt), it's just what Australia experiences is really nothing compared to what goes on in the US seemingly every year. Again, use the term lightly.
First time I've heard of that, though there was a tornado on the outskirts of Broken Hill years ago.

·
Registered
175 Posts
wtf how can a tornado have reliability?

BSD u can have all the tornadoes u want up there, its nothing to go bragging about...

Also there was footage on the news of the tornado in perth. This thread as far as i took it was not to question whether or not there was a tornado (because its already been confirmed) but instead just to talk bout it, see some photos etc..

Oh and i read somewhere ages ago in a weather book i had that australia after the USA/Canada gets the 2nd largest amount of tornadoes, its just that they hit in areas of low or no population in australia.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
The Area around Brisbane and the SE of Qld gets quite a few tornado sightings every year. A Supercell affected most of the Townsvile Region in January 2001, hail fell north of Townsville, looked like hail was going to fall here, but it pissed down rain instead, and then a Tornado struck Ayr (south of Townsville).

A tornado hit Japponvale (just south-west of Innisfail) in march 2006, and a tornado struck Bowen in 1971, but these last two were associated with Cyclones (2006 being Larry, and 1971 with Althea).

·
963 Posts
Quite scary really. I hope no one was injured seeing as though im guessing no one would have had basements.

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Then theres no photos and videos in here.......
Tornado below a thunderstorm cloud at Port Hedland, Western Australia. Photograph by Peter Mudra in the 1970's, exact year unknown.
Photo sourced from Bureau of Meteorology website.

These photos were taken by Ira Fehlberg in Western Australia on 28th November 1998.

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tornadoes are not uncommon in southwestern Australia.

They are reported most frequently from the coastal strip south from Perth to Cape Leeuwin, and from the adjacent inland, especially in the cooler months. Early on 6 April 1960, a particularly violent tornado formed on a trough line ahead of a major cold front and swept through jarrah forest near Collie, cutting a path 32km long and 240 metres wide. Trees more than a metre in diameter were uprooted, and many smaller ones were snapped off about 1.5 to 3 metres above the ground.

Rated at F2 on the Fujita scale, the storm would have inflicted great damage had it passed through a major town.

Many lesser tornadoes have in fact affected population centres in the region, and while casualties have been few, many homes have been severely damaged or destroyed. A similar tornado in northwest Tasmania left a swathe of snapped trees in forest country near Smithton early on 22 November 1992.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
But they're still tornadoes, as stated by the Bureau of Meteorology. They do alot of damage when they strike urban areas here, more than you would expect from strong wind.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts