SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
38,837 Posts
These will help expand the geographic footprint of the CBD further west. These are Ziedler?

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rumours are flying around that this site will soon be the home for a new 260ish meter tall office building, rather than the plans we currently know about.

·
Registered
980 Posts
News on this one from UrbanToronto.

"Cadillac Fairview has submitted a completely redesigned proposal for its property at 156 Front Street West in the heart of Downtown Toronto. First submitted in the Fall of 2011 as a two-tower proposal, one residential, one commercial, the residential component has now been dropped in favour of one taller, 54-storey office tower. The rounded, sculpted design is by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architects of Chicago."

As mentioned above, this will no longer have a "residential" component. It will be a 54-storey (265 metre/869 foot high) office building.

Elevations below;

·
🇺🇸🏈🍕👌
730 Posts
I love the design, but for what I'm reading in the development application, the max height in that site is 182m/597f, I hope this one will not be chopped by city council.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't think height should be an issue here.

Cadillac Fairview definitely wants an iconic tower and I am glad they chose Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architects for this project. At 265 meters, it'll be buddy buddy with Scotia Plaza and FCP. All that's missing is a spire for supertall status :)

·
38,837 Posts
We will have to let go of the idea that traditional skyline shots will be preserved forever. That 1975-2010 view remained intact for a long time, but our core is now starting to fill in and get taller. The skyline is evolving and hopefully what we end up will look better than what we had before.

I do miss not being able to see the Royal York from the water though.

·
38,837 Posts
This is going to fill in one of those weird gaps in the skyline. The south side of Front couldn't be too far behind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A nice though slight change from the usual glass box, they softened corners but that is about it. Add another compromised heritage building which seems entirely unnecessary since the tower looks like it would fit on the current parking lot space which is half taken up with a low-rise podium in these renderings. A simple reorientation would prevent a lame facade situation which seems all too common in developer's "heritage preservation" attempts in Toronto.

·
38,837 Posts
I've sort of resigned myself to accepting that all heritage preservation in Toronto will be of the 'facadectomy' variety. There are likely only 20-30 pre-WW2 buildings in the whole city that are safe from it. The rest will end up as shells one day.

I'm glad this isn't another Bay-Adelaide. This could end up looking great.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts