Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
meow
10,356 Posts
The Chinatown in Toronto (the only one I've been to) looks very 3rd worldish, actually Toronto has some areas that look like developing countries.

But such a big Chinatown just shows how multicultural Toronto can be, the next biggest minority in Toronto are the Portuguese, right? I heard more than 100,000 people speak Portuguese in Toronto.

·
____
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of several Chinatowns in Toronto. This is the old Chinatown located on Spadina Ave.

I don't think Portuguese is the the second largest ethnic group though it is probably true there are over 100,000 speakers of the language. I believe there are several hundred thousand Italians and many Indians as well.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
The Chinatown in Toronto (the only one I've been to) looks very 3rd worldish, actually Toronto has some areas that look like developing countries.

But such a big Chinatown just shows how multicultural Toronto can be, the next biggest minority in Toronto are the Portuguese, right? I heard more than 100,000 people speak Portuguese in Toronto.
Virtually every large city in the world has old sections.. I am not sure I would call them "third world"- they are just old and a bit run down. Have you travelled to London, New York, and Paris? They all have areas that are gritty like this. Portugese is not the second minority.. I would say probably Italian.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Chinese is the largest VISIBLE minority group, but it is not the largest, I think the largest (Non Anglo-Saxon) minority group is Italian.

·
39,311 Posts
These are the top 10 ethnic groups in Toronto as indicated by the federal government organization, Statistics Canada, for the 2001 census in the Census Metropolitan Area of Toronto.

1. English
2. Scottish
3. Irish
4. Chinese
5. Italian
6. Indian
7. French
8. German
9. Portuguese
10. Polish

Visible minority is a term going out of favour in Canada because we are a multicultural society, not a white one. Visible minority implies a white perspective.

Toronto, in fact, has the largest Italian community outside Italy (430,000). The Portuguese community is only the 9th largest in the city. It numbers 171,000. Chinese may surpass English as the largest Toronto ethnic group within 20 years.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
I eat at a Vietnamese Restaurant right across the street from the Bright Pearl.

And third world? Toronto's Chinatown is clean by American ghetto standards. Don't even get me started about the poopy parts of London either.

But Spadina? Definitely my second home.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
kinda off topic but does anyone know what they are doing in dundas? will that be first of the new streetcars?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have just one small simple question: Why the Chinese wherever they establish themselfs around the globe need to make their own ghetto with all that signs that just they undestand...I think this is a disrespect for country they come to... =I

·
Registered
257 Posts
great pic flar...thanks for sharing...

As TB says...some of the building are old but it's not 3rd world by any mean. It's not as bad as plp might think from these pic when u see it in person. Actually it's quite nice area.

·
███████&
858 Posts
I have just one small simple question: Why the Chinese wherever they establish themselfs around the globe need to make their own ghetto with all that signs that just they undestand...I think this is a disrespect for country they come to... =I
Thats true. It seems chinese people havent heard about integration. But i love Chinatowns!

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
These are bases for their future conquest of the world. Sometime this century we'll be the ones integrating into mainstream global chinese cultural world.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
There are some neighbourhoods in Toronto that I love for their 3rd world feel. I wouldn't quite put Chinatown in that category, but Kensington is right around the corner and totally fits the bill. They are very much alive and vibrant. Much more interesting that the sterile areas of town.

And you should jog through Chinatown on a Sunday morning. Wow! Nasty smells.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
More power too them. Ethnic 'ghettos' are encouraged in Canada.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts