SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 708 Posts

·
Administrator
76,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Another small project- The Hazelton. Done in standard "1990's Posh" style design. Dated looking and it is not even finished being built.

And, facadism at its worst. This lovely gem of a building emasculated as part of a condo project. Could they not have kept this perfectly scaled little building insitu as part of the project? Perhaps we are supposed to be grateful that they deigned to save the facade.

Anyone know what is going up here? More 90"s Posh dull red brick/white precast trim?

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Could they not have kept this perfectly scaled little building insitu as part of the project? Perhaps we are supposed to be grateful that they deigned to save the facade.
Pretty sure its being a facade sitting in the Green P parking lot for a very long time - the 'building' behind it was a temporary sales office - seeing it finally used and moved closer to street level is great news

Anyone know what is going up here? More 90"s Posh dull red brick/white precast trim?
not quite - Hariri Pontarini does not do that

·
Administrator
76,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
valantino said:
Pretty sure its being a facade sitting in the Green P parking lot for a very long time - the 'building' behind it was a temporary sales office - seeing it finally used and moved closer to street level is great news

not quite - Hariri Pontarini does not do that
That might very well be true about 100 being a facade before with just a sales office behind. Shame, really, as it is a gem of a building.

"not quite - Hariri Pontarini does not do that" - Well, don't want to rock any boats here, but this clearly does not look like any Hariri Pontarini structure that I have ever seen. Their work in the past has been so clean and contemporary. Have a good look at the rendering, and what has been built to date. It is, in my opinion, dangerously close to the trend of the 90's with "Posh" buildings being red brick with white trim. I just think the look is a bit "dated" in my opinion. I'll bet the interior will be quite luxe. I will wait til it is done and keep an open mind, but quite honestly I think this one differs from their past work. I wonder how much influence the owners had in the design?

·
Banned
67 Posts
omg, i actually agree with mr taller&better! scary, eh?

considering how many were born in the original mt sinai hospital, it's disgusting how insensitive greedy developers are to toronto's heritage. Compare today to the destruction of the 50s, 60s and 70s; what has changed?

The condo being built at 100 yorkville is overall another tedious beige box. (The townhomes are decent--wish the entire development had just been lowrise.) The best views in yorkville are at street level; which is why hazelton scollard etc victorians are still the best investment. But i guess ultimately, more rich ppl living in the nabe is a good thing? (Yorkville is a sad pathetic place imho so i really don't care what happens. The only reason i go there is to either look at sexy women trying on jeans at over the rainbow or to pretend i'm in montreal at that French Canadian newstand.)

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Well, don't want to rock any boats here, but this clearly does not look like any Hariri Pontarini structure that I have ever seen. Their work in the past has been so clean and contemporary. Have a good look at the rendering, and what has been built to date. It is, in my opinion, dangerously close to the trend of the 90's with "Posh" buildings being red brick with white trim. I just think the look is a bit "dated" in my opinion. I'll bet the interior will be quite luxe. I will wait til it is done and keep an open mind, but quite honestly I think this one differs from their past work. I wonder how much influence the owners had in the design?
I've seen other renderings of the project which looked more Hariri (modern -glass, steel, limestone) than Page+Steele 'posh'

omg, i actually agree with mr taller&better! scary, eh?
not if you favour the townhomes

·
Registered
5,343 Posts

I'd like to say that although I hated it to death in renderings, up close and in real life (which is what matters), the Hazelton is looking superb!

I really like the detailed brickwork and windows... they give alot of depth...and the stepped design will add even more interest. The brick and stone gives a really substantial feeling overall.

Not everything needs to be all-out modern... I love how refreshingly 'contemporary' this one is. It doesn't even try to look like something else from 2006 :)

-thryve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Marcanadian - please give credit for the photographer.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Speaking of things UT I was finally able to get back to the site today, I have no clue why but that doesn't bother me anymore as I am able to view the site.

1 - 20 of 708 Posts