Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toron...-north-america-for-customer-service-1.3832567

Toronto Pearson airport named best large airport in North America for customer service
Toronto Pearson International Airport

Relaxnews
Published Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:59AM EST

In a new list ranking the airports that offer the best travel experiences around the world, Toronto Pearson International Airport tops the list for North America. Rome Fiumicino leads for Europe. And Mumbai Airport leads hubs in Asia-Pacific.

Airports Council International World announced the winners of its annual Airport Service Quality Awards for 2017, honouring airports that offer the best customer service.

Winners are based on passenger surveys which ask respondents to evaluate airports across 34 performance indicators, including airport access, check-in, security screening, restrooms, stores, restaurants, additionally capturing passenger comments of their best and worst experience at the airport.

In the category of large airports (defined as serving 40 million passengers or more), for North America, Toronto Pearson emerged the leader. The win marks a first for Canada's biggest airport, which is currently redeveloping Terminal 3 to improve its shopping and dining options and improve passenger flow.....

read it all here:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toron...-north-america-for-customer-service-1.3832567

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Unfortunately, being the best large airport in North America does not mean a lot at an international level, just means being better than large US airports, none of which can be said to be good.

Recently I had to connect from a transatlantic flight to a domestic flight at Pearson. Somehow I found I had to go through customs at Toronto. Somehow although I followed signs to connecting domestic flights I ended up finding myself leaving the customs area and had to go through security all over again (20 mins wait, which for Pearson was not too bad) before having to go to my gate. Someone told me as I exited Customs that there was another way to go to my gate without leaving customs, but they told me I could not return without going through customs again. Fortunately I had enough time to catch my flight. However, it would be helpful if there was more info desks at the airport for those making connections so that does not happen.

·
39,915 Posts
I love YVR. It's easy to navigate, has proper signage, and there always seems to be a staff member anticipating your question before you thought to ask it.

·
39,915 Posts
I've never had any problems navigating Pearson. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Signage is clear whenever I've used that airport.
That's because you've been there many times before. You know where to go. There are big lapses all over the place, poorly designed signs, and a lack of uniformity. Navigating an airport should be intuitive. Put yourself in the shoes of a person that's never been there before and doesn't speak English or French.

I notice the poor signage every time I arrive at Terminal 1. You only have to be inside for about 20 seconds before the first problem occurs. You head up that first escalator and at the top there should be a sign that anyone from any country would understand directing one where to go when one gets to the top. It also needs to be big enough that one doesn't have to wait till the top before its big enough to read. Too small and people will come to a complete stop at the top blocking exit from the escalator. There's no sign whatsoever. You have to get off and then figure out which way to go. I know to do a 180 and walk down the hall only because I've been there 20 times. Only when you walk a little way does the first sign appear. That's a big FAIL.

There are people who do signage for a living. Pearson obviously hasn't hired anyone at all and just put signs up randomly where it saw fit. It's not just a problem confined to Pearson either. Canada is terrible at signage. Just look at street signs in Toronto. At intersections signs aren't uniform, they come in different sizes, fonts, and locations. Today I had to look for almost 30 seconds scanning every possible location before I saw that the road was marked 'Holly Street'. I only have to walk a few blocks to find an intersection with no sign at all. People just know what street it is because they've been on it before.

Many highway signs are way too small and/or posted so late you have no time to change lanes. Only if you've been on a highway many times will you know that the sign you're waiting for comes up too late and can't rely on it. I'm very used to the highway system yet still miss exits often because I don't want to slam on the brakes and cut in front of another car doing 100km/h.

The City of Toronto needs to completely overhaul its signage and hire a professional firm that does this for a living. With the World Cup coming up in 2026 there's no better time than now to get it down. Unfortunately, most Torontonians are oblivious that it's even a problem.... so nothing will happen.

Sorry for the rant but it's one of those little things about Toronto that drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
again:
3rd consecutive year:
https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/03...just-ranked-best-large-airport-north-america/

For the third consecutive year in a row, Toronto's own Pearson International Airport has been voted one of the best in the world for "customer experience" — and not by some random industry group, but by actual airline passengers.

Pearson, Canada's largest airport both by size and by volume, once again appears as the best airport in North America serving more than 40 million passengers on Airports Council International's annual list of Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards.

Released this morning, the 2020 ranking

read it all here:
https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/03...just-ranked-best-large-airport-north-america/

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean for Covid screening? All people arriving from out of the country are now required to provide proof of a negative test, and then they do a Covid 19 test on them and they are required to quarantine at their own expense in a specified airport hotel until the results come back. I wish they had started doing this last year.

·
No pasaràn
8,318 Posts
Do you mean for Covid screening? All people arriving from out of the country are now required to provide proof of a negative test, and then they do a Covid 19 test on them and they are required to quarantine at their own expense in a specified airport hotel until the results come back. I wish they had started doing this last year.
yes,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts