Skyscraper City Forum banner
61 - 80 of 208 Posts

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Great update, Taller!

I for one, appreciate your efforts in providing such up to date photos of the construction. Reposting the image of the live webcam over and over again isn't the same as getting some close ups.

The ROM will be a beauty for sure.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
^^^ That's not cladding as I explained in the T.O. forum.

Everything you see being installed from now until spring is just insulation panels, and eventually window frames.

None of the final "skin" will be arriving in Canada until April.

This cladding system didn't exist before the ROM.

-Framing for insulation panels underway.
-Insulation panels are installed, underway on the southeast portion of the Crystal.
- the anodized aluminum final skin is joined to the insulated panels, leaving a space between them (possiblywith a channel system UNDERNEATH! the exterior skin that drains collected rain water etc).

·
Look at my shiny ball
10,564 Posts
moxwax said:
disgusting... I hate Libeskind. All his buildings are just pieces of metal thrown together in seemingly random designs. And, just like if you do the same thing on a smaller scale, it looks like trash. I'ts not "bold" or "dramatic," it's what he found in last night's garbage right before he threw it out. It sucks IMO.

I guess im the only person on this forum who agrees with you, buildings like this were original a couple of decades ago, but with the guggenheim, imperial war museeum manchester, and many others this no longer appears original. Instead it looks like a random scribble that he couldn't be arsed finishing, and left the mechanical and structural engineers with a fucking nightmare.

Liebskind is pretty crap in my opinion. The engineers behind this project i am in awe of

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
nezzybaby said:
I guess im the only person on this forum who agrees with you, buildings like this were original a couple of decades ago, but with the guggenheim, imperial war museeum manchester, and many others this no longer appears original. Instead it looks like a random scribble that he couldn't be arsed finishing, and left the mechanical and structural engineers with a fucking nightmare.

Liebskind is pretty crap in my opinion. The engineers behind this project i am in awe of
Buildings like this were not even possible to BUILD a couple of decades ago
and you make it sound like they are a dime a dozen!! I know of nothing built in 1986 that looks even remotely similar to this.
Without current computer programmes, the structural engineering could never have been done. LOL! Far from being "original", they did simply not exist. Gehry's and Foster's stuff all began to look the same, but not Liebskind. This is not the same as the Imperial War Museum in Manchester.. they have the same architect, but that is about it for the similarity.
I love this building, and it is going to look like a jewel on Bloor St!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
It looks beautiful. It will look very striking the way it rises out of the ground. Reminds me of the limestone pinnacles in Borneo.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think once the final project is done it will look great, its just this time in the mean time where it looks a little crazy while they build it.

61 - 80 of 208 Posts