Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread I'll dedicate to any pics I take of condos (and since Toronto is experiencing the biggest growth in them I guess it's a valid thread).;) I'll start with the closest one to my house (and the only one I have access to); Grand Harbour.

Three towers of 28-25-20 floors each, it won a few architectural awards upon completion in 1993. It came to a staggering cost of 100 million dollars.:eek: My favourite in all of Toronto, by far.;)

Sooo..... When are the chariot races starting?;)

Thar she goes...

The lobby and recreation area (I go there everyday to work out, I just thougth it would be interesting to snap some pics too)

The townhouses, all well over one million...

Gateway to the coliseum ;)

Wowzers:eek:

Hehe, I can see my house from here.:D

And the rival complex Marina Del Rey (looks far less striking than Velika Luka.:D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Sweet! Great pics!

They're building a few low-rise condos here in High Park which have neo-classically influenced court yards. I find them quite pleasing. The problem with new condos is exactly their base. Look at HVE, not a bad condo considering the price, but it could care less how it meets the street.

I've noticed that condo developers around Spadina-Bloor-Yonge-College-Bathurst corridor seem to care more about the street treatment. Queen is especially good at this, while the waterfront builders don't seem to give a hoot.

I love these faux-historical guys:

Very good attention to detail, looks like they've always been there.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Exactly, the good old days when condo developers cared about detail. This building seems to have been created like a landmark project (though I guarante downtown it would look silly). I remember the first time I saw this building when going to Oakville via Go Train. It was like wtf is that ugly thing, never have I thought I'd actually live there one day.:D

Btw, Grand Harbour is the master of faux-historical.:D:D:D:D Probably a vision of what would've happened if the Roman empire stayed whole till today.:tongue2:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
WoW! Excellent pictures Filip. As someone else said, the suburbs do look very European, I mean...Most places don't really have brick anymore, but your wonderful "Filipville" ( :D ) does...

Again, great pictures, and I can't wait to see anymore in the near future...

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some info from the building's website.
The Community

Grand Harbour is a community of 439 luxury condominum and townouse homes on Lake Ontario in Toronto, Canada. The development is nestled on a six-acre site at the Humber Bay West Park and affords residents a view of Lake Ontario and the downtown Toronto skyline.

A gatehouse at the entrance to the property announces the arrival of visitors. The property interior features a plaza with fountain and a private courtyard along with exceptional recreational facilities including a swimming pool, saunas, hot tub, squash courts, weight-training and aerobics equipment rooms. Next door there is a choice of yacht clubs to join for weekend recreation.

There are three condominium corporations which make up Grand Harbour. The first two towers built, the ones joined by an arch at the 14th floor, is known as Metro Toronto Condomium Corporation (MTCC) 965. The third tower was the second phase to be completed and operates as MTCC 1031. The townhomes operate as MTCC 1056. This web site represents MTCC 965.

In the beginning…
Grand Harbour was a vision of developers, Richard Weldon and Larry Boland, of Rylar Development, who saw the potential for a luxury housing development on the waterfront just west of the Humber River in Toronto.

Based on their work designing the Novotel Hotel and the condomiums of 25 The Esplanade, also in Toronto, the architectural firm of Matsui, Baer, and Vanstone was contracted to design Grand Harbour.

The design…
The project is a mixture of architectural styles. Materials range from shingles for that "seaside" look to solid brick construction with Georgian details in the town homes, while the high-rise condominiums are made of pre-cast concrete to give the appearance of stone. Soaring arches and Georgian columns also appear in the high-rise areas and the roofs are capped in a style reminiscent of older high-rise buildings of New York City. There are 400 condominiums in three towers of 17, 21, and 27 storeys and there are 39 townhomes.

Parking for guests and residents is entirely contained within an underground garage, allowing the building to be developed to
the edges of the property. Construction was completed in 1993 at a cost of about $100 million.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.