Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
arquimariano
824 Posts
Beatiful tower for Toronto, but I'm confused... I think is too thin and tall for a small terrain. looks like bother me.

Is that the Royal Alexandra Theater next to it???? If is it, I don't agree. It's not the right place to build it :eek:hno:

·
16,955 Posts
There's no such status as 'sales'.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Re: Theatre Park

Overall I really like it. Quite the step above M5V or Boutique.

The tower looks fabulous (well, when compared to earlier condos in the area) I love how the building is setback from the street. Respecting the Royal Alexandria while creating a little oasis and of course, adding a significant contribution to the population density. The patio, cafe, and water sculpture looks quite striking.
I'm really not a fan of the protruding "box" though. This silly faux-modernist fad is the quite contrary to my ideal way respecting the context of the surrounding century buildings. I wish the podium was a little more sophisticated and referenced the older surrounding buildings.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Is that the Royal Alexandra Theater next to it???? If is it, I don't agree. It's not the right place to build it :eek:hno:
Yes, it is. It's a little overwhelming, I can see the city asking for a height decrease. But this area is really building up now, there's been tons of activity in the Entertainment District in terms of condominium development. By the time this is built, it'll fit it nicely. I also really like the base of it. The restaurant and parkette are perfect for theatre goers.

·
39,238 Posts
Yes, it is. It's a little overwhelming, I can see the city asking for a height decrease. But this area is really building up now, there's been tons of activity in the Entertainment District in terms of condominium development. By the time this is built, it'll fit it nicely. I also really like the base of it. The restaurant and parkette are perfect for theatre goers.
Yes, the Ritz-Carlton (213 m) and RBC (183 m) are on the other side of Roy Thompson Hall, while the Shangri-La (214 m) is a block away to the east. Theatre Park won't look out of place and that it's set back from the street respects the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

I'm shocked that a tower this tall was allowed here, but it was the right decision.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It already had a decrease, what you see above is what was approved.

·
Banned
10,367 Posts
From

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-e-of-the-Royal-Alex-Lamb-Niche-47-aA)/page32

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 216050 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jun 10, 2011

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Permit to construct a new 47 storey mixed-use building comprised of 234 residential dwelling units, 644m2 of commercial space and 100 parking spaces including 4 car share spaces.

·
16,955 Posts

By urbandreamer, UT

·
39,238 Posts
Incredible that they can build such a huge building on such a small place. It looks awesome!
Toronto is seeing more and more of that sort of thing as sizable lots quickly disappear in the core. It's just not economical to build too short with land prices what they are so developers are getting more creative about where they can squeeze these towers.

1 King West, Trump, and Backstage were all planned for lots you'd never think could accommodate them. Theatre Park is just the next incarnation. This type of intensification is going to create quite an interesting and dense city scape.

·
16,955 Posts

By someMidTowner, UT

1 - 20 of 65 Posts