SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thestar.com/static/Specials/design/060512_waterfront_poll.html

Make your vote count from these 5 finalists!

According to the article the winner will be announced May 31 and work will begin this fall?? WOW thats fast. Is this true?? Didnt know they were moving ahead so quickly. I personally like the entry from West 8 as it includes the demolition of the Gardiner.

For more info check this link below and dont forget to vote using the link above.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
What useage would a long pier get at any time of year? What do they mean by 'connecting the lake to the waterfront"? How much fun is it to wander out half a mile with water on either side? How many people truck all the way out
to the end of Cherry Spit?A series of shorter,wider useable piers make much
more sense. The Foster one has a highly predictable sail-shaped building. Look, we all know and love the Sydney Opera House, but how many sail shaped buildings have since been built in every city with more than a bathtub of water on its edge? I'm
waaaay over architecture inspired by sails. The Foster one will probably win
because it is Foster. I have to say I didn't see anything that blew me away in any of those proposals... but they are pretty sketchy and don't reveal very much. I voted
for the Polish proposal as it seemed to be the most useable.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
The design teams were only given 6 weeks to come up with a design. I dunno, but that doesn't seem like a lot of time for something so comprehensive. Especially for busy firms like Foster.

I imagine it's just concept, with specific details to evolve.

Which is probably why none of them bowl me over. I do like the water droplet buildings of Foster though.

KGB

·
Downtown TO
239 Posts
I really love Tod Williams slip/pavilion idea. It seems like it could
bring unity to the waterfront and I enjoy anything that would help out the commuters along Queens Quay and encourage more TTC ridership.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Yeah, none of these stand out as amazing,but none are really subpar. The Foster is intiguing which has sails hovering in front of the city. I would like to see better renderings of all the projects though.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I'm not sure which one I like the most. I think I like the first one the least. It's just really bare and boring. Here are the five options:

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
I would say the West 8 proposal wins hands down. It is the most ambitious by far. All the other proposals appear somewhat cosmetic. We don't want an old woman with too much makeup. Tearing down the Gardiner and creating a grand boulevard along the waterfront is what will change the character of that area and make it pedestrian friendly and beautiful. It will lay the foundation for other projects to build on. We need the spine fixed here, not cosmetic surgery. All the other proposals are hoaky or look like kid's playgrounds and would leave that horrendous Gardiner in the background.
West 8 everyone!

·
Downtown TO
239 Posts
DrT said:
I would say the West 8 proposal wins hands down. It is the most ambitious by far. All the other proposals appear somewhat cosmetic. We don't want an old woman with too much makeup. Tearing down the Gardiner and creating a grand boulevard along the waterfront is what will change the character of that area and make it pedestrian friendly and beautiful. It will lay the foundation for other projects to build on. We need the spine fixed here, not cosmetic surgery. All the other proposals are hoaky or look like kid's playgrounds and would leave that horrendous Gardiner in the background.
West 8 everyone!

My question is what do you do with the hundreds of thousands of cars that use the Gardiner everyday?
Just tearing it down and not having a plan to reroute all that traffic will KILL downtown not make it more vibrant.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
they closed for a weekend and the downtown was a parking lot. It should remain part of the city landscape. I suggest building around it or how about spend some millions to make it look nice. Better light standards, some trees or plants?? If you tear it down the many people who come from the suburbs or aorund Toronto will stop coming on weekends.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
We need to see different perspectives of each project.....the Tod Williams is just a diagram. Supposedly they want to create another man-made island which is pretty appealing..........

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
LordMandeep said:
they closed for a weekend and the downtown was a parking lot. It should remain part of the city landscape. I suggest building around it or how about spend some millions to make it look nice. Better light standards, some trees or plants?? If you tear it down the many people who come from the suburbs or aorund Toronto will stop coming on weekends.
Demolition of the Gardiner is what the TWRC is pushing for. This issue has been the subject of several long threads with many ideas proposed by forumers. The short answer is, if you close a roadway, you have to beef up mass transit. Short of that, though, "making it look nice" is the least expensive alternative which should be done if nothing else.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If they take down the Gardiner without any road-alternative, than Lakeshor boulavard will be jammed packed with cars.....making it virtually pedestrian free........

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
ya if the gardiner was torn down lakeshore would be nuts. and being a pedestrian wanting to be near the lake would suck cuz of all the cars and the smell of exhaust fumes.
i think queens quay should have more cafes and restaurants. right now it's very bland.

as for the design i voted for the giant sails that have restuarants/hotels etc in them.

but then after reading more i like the 100 metre tall weather masts idea with the big pier out into the lake.

·
283 Posts
Foster and Partners design is best. I would love to see their design come to fruition. It's innovative, intriguing and modern! This is something Toronto needs to help usher it into the 21st century. What's more, I'm not in favor of tearing down the Gardiner Expressway. Part of the excitment of entering Toronto is entering it via the G.E. If you're approaching the city from the West, it's exciting to enter the city elevated and seeing the Toronto skyline in the distance. It's also nice to catch a couple glimpses of the lake when driving in.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
I'm with DrT. West 8 has a meatier plan (considering the short timeframe).

Getting rid of the Gardiner downtown is not a biggie. The only people that will be SOL are the ones that pass through, but don't end/start their trip downtown.

I remember being nervous when they tore down the DVP to Leslie portion. It is much better today.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts