Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gone
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Toronto's ravines and the Greenbelt

There is a petition currently in place to include Toronto's ravines in the proteccion offered by the Grenbelt.
The next month is an important one for Toronto’s ravines. On Thursday June 19, the Planning and Growth Management Committee will meet to discuss growing the Greenbelt into the Don and Humber River Valleys, and Etobicoke Creek. The Committee’s recommendations will go to a vote at City Council in July.

We need your help to show our decision makers that Toronto’s ravines need the permanent protection offered by the Greenbelt. Our petition will be presented to City councillors--and the more support we have the stronger our case!

Please help us get to our goal of 2,000 signatures by sharing our petition widely among your friends and networks.
If you care enough about Toronto's ravines please sign the petition

http://ravines-greenbelt.nationbuil...etition&utm_medium=email&utm_source=greenbelt

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
I don't really see the point. Toronto's ravines are already part of the municipal parks system. And even if they weren't, they wouldn't be at risk of development anyway. The whole reason that they were never developed to begin with is the danger posed by flooding and landslides that they can be prone to.

The Greenbelt isn't iron-clad legislation either. Tim Hudak for instance had campaigned on repealing it...it's quite possible that if the PC's were to ever get a majority government that the Greenbelt would be scrapped. This just seems like it would be nothing more than a bureaucratic make-work project. And wouldn't it also necessitate putting City of Toronto land under the jurisdiction of a provincial body? (and if not, then wouldn't it be nothing more than feel-good legislation that accomplishes nothing?)

The Greenbelt is a great thing and I hope it's expanded further, but it doesn't need to include Toronto parks.

·
Gone
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses.
I'm not very familiar with the politics here, and it looked to me that it
would be a nice thing to have more protection to the ravines.
However, I appreciate your comments and I guess the city councillors will do whatever seems right to them anyways.
Thanks

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
the most needed expansion of the greenbelt is up around Bradford and to Barrie, it ends too soon up there. Bradford is planning some big sprawl as they are outside of the greenbelt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts