Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread got a little off topic and gave me this idea.

Which cities or states have advertisements in your city. Billboards, TV ads, radio spots, or even newspaper ads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For Indianapolis

We see ads for St.Louis, Michigan, Missouri, Florida, West Virginia and Kentucky. There may be others, but they obviously don't spend enough to have the advertisements run frequently enough for me to remember them. Chicago ran a commercial this past winter, but I haven't seen anything from them in a few months.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
All I really ever see is St. Louis in Louisville......When I lived in Cincinnati I rarely watched TV so I dont recall any...Same with all the othe places I have lived...I guess really the only place I have ever lived where they advertised profusely is Louisville with the STL ads... on TV in the paper everywhere STL is coming out of my ears :)

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I remember seeing commercials for Chicago every summer in Toronto. In London, we see lots of commercials for Disneyland Paris, and billboards for Greece, Australia, and Turkey.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
just got back form London yesterday and adds for Turkey are EVERYWHERE!

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i posted this in the other thread, but it makes sense here, so i'll repost it:

in chicago, i can't recall any city-specific TV ads that i've ever seen, but we are BOMBARDED every spring with wisconsin and michigan TV commercials touting all the summer fun that those two states offer. in the winter, we get a lot of florida commercials. i can't ever recall seeing any indiana commercials, which is odd considering chicago sits right on the state border.

ironically enough, we also get a lot of TV commericals encouraging chicagoans to go out and explore the rest of illinois as well, but just about everyone still chooses wisconsin or michigan for their summer vacation though ;)

those are the big 4 for chicago - wisconsin, michigan, florida, and illinois, in that order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, I gotta agree. Wisconsin and Michigan are the biggies for Chicago. By the way, do the Illinois ones think that we're all a bunch of Abraham Lincoln freaks or something? I'm like I'm sorry but the Abraham Lincoln chip that you put in my brain isn't turned on or something because I'm never going down to Springfield I'm sorry.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
bangtoy said:
Yep, I gotta agree. Wisconsin and Michigan are the biggies for Chicago.
well, it only makes sense, afterall, wisconisn is chicago's largest state park ;)

i wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of wiscosin's tourism economy was driven by the 9 million people of chicagoland. chicagoans love wisconsin, and we dump hundreds of millions of dollars there every summer, and all we get from those dirty cheese-heads is a bunch of "FIB" resentment. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sharptent said:
i can't ever recall seeing any indiana commercials, which is odd considering chicago sits right on the state border.
Thank God. I know it seems kind of weird, but I'm really hoping that Indiana and Indianapolis don't advertise a great deal outside of the state. Simply because the commercials that I see for other cities and states are all so corny and frankly full of crap. I always catch myself actually rolling my eyes and saying oh jeez everytime one comes on.

It's just that whole "we're going to try and trick you into believeing that everything that we have is the greatest of it's kind in the world" thing. It's very annoying. So I always cringe thinking that somewhere out there there's an Indiana ad running that is deceiving people into thinking that some Indiana state park like Turkey Run - while actually nice - is somehow akin to an Alaskan wilderness.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
HumbleHoosier said:
Thank God. I know it seems kind of weird, but I'm really hoping that Indiana and Indianapolis don't advertise a great deal outside of the state. Simply because the commercials that I see for other cities and states are all so corny and frankly full of crap. I always catch myself actually rolling my eyes and saying oh jeez everytime one comes on.
hmmmmmm..... i don't quite follow. the wisconsin and michigan ads that we get by the boatload are generally not corny or full of crap, they're more about "hey, look at all the fun you can have in our state this summer, why don't you come on up and give us a visit."

it seems odd to me that the indiana tourism bureau wouldn't also try to capture some of the chicago tourism market by adervtising in chicago, given that indiana is so friggin close.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Humble-

There was just a local news story about two weeks ago that said Indy was stepping up it's tourism campaign in light of thenew IMA and other facilities. They showed the add and it was good. I recall that Cincy, Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit were targeted. I thought it was weird that Louisville and Dayton weren't mentioned.

Also, I just got back from London and I flew NWA. Their inflight magazine featured Indy this month.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It always amazes me how many times Indy is showcased when they arent even being payed .... I guess they must have some good restaurants there because they are always in those sky magazines top lists...unless they pay them, but I dont think thats how it works otherwise it'd say advertisement at the top of the page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah in addition to wisconsin, michigan and florida, i've seen A LOT of ads for missouri and Arizona and South Dakota.... hmmm as for cities...i remember seeing something for detroit and milwaukee

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
WHat does that central and southern Indiana have that Illinois doesn't, that is important, thats probably why, there isnt any ads for Indiana. Northern Indiana doesnt need ads, cuz its so close to Chicago.

I never seen Florida ads,

Lol.. yep... Springfield Ads...

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Hey, Milwaukee, you guys have the coolest guy in the whole midwest. That would be Vince, of Pottawatomi fame. Black tux, bow tie hanging loose, ice running through his veins, he makes a compelling arugment for Chicagoans high rollers to skip Vegas and come to the real action in Milwaukee. :) Well, sorta.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only adds that come to mind are South Dakota and Chicago, but I havent seen any of them lately, however there have been alot of adds trying to get people to go see the Indy 500 lately on the radio.

As for you FIB's keep droping your money here, we appreciate it, just learn how to drive (get out of the left when I speed up behind you).

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
edsg25 said:
Hey, Milwaukee, you guys have the coolest guy in the whole midwest. That would be Vince, of Pottawatomi fame. Black tux, bow tie hanging loose, ice running through his veins, he makes a compelling arugment for Chicagoans high rollers to skip Vegas and come to the real action in Milwaukee. :) Well, sorta.

oh hell yeah! That guy is cool as hell. I love the ads in the Menomonee Valley--some of them make him look like one of those sleazy Las Vegas types. My mom said she used to have a crush on him when she was a little younger.

·
Voice of Reason (usually)
1,936 Posts
sharptent said:
well, it only makes sense, afterall, wisconisn is chicago's largest state park ;)

i wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of wiscosin's tourism economy was driven by the 9 million people of chicagoland. chicagoans love wisconsin, and we dump hundreds of millions of dollars there every summer, and all we get from those dirty cheese-heads is a bunch of "FIB" resentment. ;)
LOL Chicago would have been so much better off had Illinois kept its original border! Chicago, Wisconsin. Hm... doesn't have a very good ring to it... but we could've made due. Besides, we could have introduced you to quality drivers education programs! :laugh:

Anyway... I seem to remember that all out of state of tourist dollar was equal to about 45 percent of wisconsin tourism/travel expendatures. I'd look that up but thats not the sort of thing I like doing at midnight on a wednesday night. I'd say it would be a safe bet that chicagoland makes up most of that out of state travel.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
ReddAlert said:
oh hell yeah! That guy is cool as hell. I love the ads in the Menomonee Valley--some of them make him look like one of those sleazy Las Vegas types. My mom said she used to have a crush on him when she was a little younger.
Redd, damnit!, you stole the word that should have been in my original post: sleazy. Cool and sleazy really do work for Vince! I think they must have hit the advertising/PR (forgive me on this one) jack pot with Vince!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts