Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The project involves the restoration and renovation of heritage structures for new use as KZN Tourism Offices

current: tender process
client: KZN Tourism
architects: Choromanski

Development

The original structure, used as Stevedore barracks and a haystore is historically significant as one of the few remaining red clay face-brick structures in the Point precinct. It forms a tangible connection to a period pre-dating the mechanisation of Durban harbour.

The offices express the nature of an industrial district while adhering to contemporary urban principles and socially sustainable design. By creating a new use for an existing structure, the project serves to protect the historic architecture as well as utilise existing resources.

New interventions are visibly juxtaposed with the old, providing a layering of identities and adding to the character of the complex. The design expresses a sense of nostalgia while looking to the future. This is achieved by taking the memory of the architecture forward to provide new relevance for future generations of users.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Nice! This section of the Stevedores has been left idle for too long. Will be a great addition to the area. I suppose this means KZN Tourism's plans to relocate to Ithala Bank's failed Dolphin Whispers (if and when it ever gets converted to a commerial block) have been shelved? I actually prefer this location, given its proximity to the proposed cruise terminal, Ushaka (which houses Durban Tourism), and especially because of its impact on the area. I wonder what the timeline is. Wish they start tomorrow! I reckon that big hall could be used for conferencing too.

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
actually forgot about this project. I gather the apartment block is still going at snails pace? Sad to see the whole restaurant/ brewery plans for this part of the project being lost but glad something is actually happening.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Adjacent apartment block is NOT proceeding at snail's pace. How dare you make such an assumption! It's actually going at... microbe pace. :lol:

Brewery / restaurant would have been nice, but high profile user of this building is better than none at all. And restaurant component may still be possible, if KZN Tourism is wise enough to allow it.

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are still other plans as part of it, this is only one of those buildings being taken up ans the site has good bulk available. it would also be stupid not to use it when the site across from it (ushaka parking) will be developed as min 15F development as part of the bulk/zoning and seems the new owners of the and are itching it get started

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
I noticed some minor work is being done on this building and its grounds. Hopefully this means this proposed development is imminent...

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would be good to see this also start to surface considering the good momentum building in this region

1 - 8 of 8 Posts