SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the some tourism statistics of the world, please contribute to the thread
images print-screened from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Top 10 Most visited countries

Top 10 most visited cities:

Top 10 tourism expenditure

Top 10 tourism receipts

Regional Top 10

International Departures:

·
Lost in the Big Apple
1,981 Posts
I think China take the number 2 spot in a few years. I think large countries like the United States, China and Canada are at a disadvantage since many of their population travel distances in their own country. Its safe to say due to EU, its easier to travel in European countries

Im also surprised to see Antalya in the top 10 visited cities. Seems like a sore thumb on the list

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think China take the number 2 spot in a few years. I think large countries like the United States, China and Canada are at a disadvantage since many of their population travel distances in their own country. Its safe to say due to EU, its easier to travel in European countries

Im also surprised to see Antalya in the top 10 visited cities. Seems like a sore thumb on the list
yes, it is because of the fairs, business trips will be rised, thats true Canada Australia, Russia, Brazil, China, India and USA almost a continent but this is international arrival, citizens are not counted. Also travelling from Europe,Africa,Asia to America continent are very expensive due to the flight costs.thats also disadvantage.

Antalya is the only summer destination in the list, and it is not surprise (at least for me because I have been there and I saw more Russian than Turkish in Antalya ;)) because it is very famous summer vacation city, not just because of it is cheaper than other mediterrean cities but also because of it is reachable from Europe,Russia, Middleast, Centralasia via very cheap flights plus It has wonderful hotels, beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Egypt in Middle East?:eek:hno:

Also, i've heard that France has a lot of passing traffic, Dutchs, belgians, Germans, Swiss driving to Spain and Portugal, it would be interresting to know if these are included?
I think those people would be difficult to include since they can just pass through without anyone knowing.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also, i've heard that France has a lot of passing traffic, Dutchs, belgians, Germans, Swiss driving to Spain and Portugal, it would be interresting to know if these are included?
Africa and the Middle East are classified together as one region by the UNWTO.

I do not know exactly,but i guess it is included.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Yes and no. This list includes only tourists, i.e. people who spend at least one night in France, but indeed, there's approximately 20% of those who are just passing through the country.

·
Nooo, ya no
1,244 Posts
The tourism grow in Spain this year an 8% between january and october, almost 51M

10 first months

Total 50,949,659 +8,0%

Code:
UK            12,419,743  +9,5%
Germany        8,159,241  +2,1%
France         7,684,796  +4,9%
Italy          3,367,570  +9,6%
Nordics        3,269,916  +8,8%
Netherlands    2,552,564  +24%
portugal       1,592,818  -4,6%
Belgium        1,591,082  +11,5%
Switzerland    1,222,102  +17%
Ireland        1,180,442  +8,8%
USA            1,002,321  +3,6%
Rest Europe    3,724,915  +10,9%
Rest America   1,515,511  +16,%
Rest World     1,666,637  +8,1%
Regions visited

Code:
Cataluña          12,422,412   +4,9%
Baleares Islands   9,907,890   +10,1%
Canary Islands     8,335,899   +19,2%
Andalucía          7,218,291   +7%
C.Valenciana       4,889,714   +7,3%
C. de Madrid       3,885,280   -0,7%
Others             4,290,173   +3,9%

·
Lost in the Big Apple
1,981 Posts
Im surprised to see Japan so low. I assumed it would attract so many tourists, but its number is quite underwhelming. Heck, even S. Korea has more tourists.

I also dont understand why Hong Kong is listed separately?

·
Banned
541 Posts
So more people visit France than live there? wow.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im surprised to see Japan so low. I assumed it would attract so many tourists, but its number is quite underwhelming. Heck, even S. Korea has more tourists.

Yes, it is surprising for me too, Japan is very famous around the world with its culture, natural places, technology....etc, maybe because of Japan is more expensive but also S. Korea promoting tourism much in recently also their TV , films and Singers attracting many people.
also I am surprised to see Singapore on the most visited cities by international arrivals. singapore such small country why do people visit there?

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Believe it or not Japan usually had even less tourists. Japan finally began opening up to asian tourists (easier visas) around 2008...and ever since then tourism has been booming. 2010 was actually a record year for tourism in Japan and 2011 was expected to break the 10 million mark (they eased visa restrictions for Chinese again in 2010)...but due to the tsunami and earthquake tourism has plummeted.

Although I believe by 2013 tourism will be back, and stronger than ever due to the following:

1. Easier tourist visas (they are considering easing chinese visa requirements even more)
2. Haneda airport in central Tokyo opened its first international runway and terminal at the end of 2010 (more international flights to Tokyo now) along with Narita
3. Japan for the first time is opening up to low cost carriers with asia, so the cost of flights to Japan are going to decrease alot.
4. According to the most recent survey, Japan is still the #1 "Dream" destination for asian tourists and #3 worldwide: http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20111007D06JSN01.htm

The japanese government estimates that by 2020 Japan will have 15-20 million tourists (the goal before the tsunami was 25 million)..and that goal is pretty achievable since the visa requirements have been eased and theres 1.3 billion chinese alone (not to mention all the south east asians) who get richer every year. BTW just to understand how much Japan cut the visa requirements for chinese tourists, in 2009 they had to have an annual income of $36,600 several times the average wage in China! In 2010 this was cut to $8,700 (but we won't see the benefit of that until 2012/2013 due to the tsunami/earthquake).

·
119,881 Posts
Visiting Hong Kong is not equivalent to visiting China. The visa and immigration regimes are different. Even mainland Chinese visiting Hong Kong require visas.

·
Banned
6,676 Posts
Here are the numbers for Vegas. For the first 10 months, nearly 33 million came to enjoy the sights and sounds of the "Entertainment Capital of the World". Looks like for the year it may hit the 39 million mark. Bravo Clark County!!!!

LVCVA

·
Banned
46 Posts
haha for a moment thought that Tokyo was the most visited city in the world for tegnologia ... well on the other hand a few months ago I think there was another study of the worldwide mastercard where they said that London was the city most tourists this year 2011

1 - 20 of 49 Posts