SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 519 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
7,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want the obvious ones and the not so obvious ones, because from Birmingham for example if you say tourist attarctions in the city, maybe the Bull Ring or the Canals will be mentioned however there are loads of places in the city that tourists very rarley visit like Sutton Park, its a great Park but no tourists!

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
I like the brothels myself.

Reactions: Skyline_

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
That's quite disturbing in a way.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
How long have you thought you were a dog?

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
I thought it was ruffly two years and a half years:lol: I slay me.

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,733 Posts
probably too much to list but i'll have a go at listing some of the more well known tourist attractions in Liverpool
  • The Beatles - Mathew Street, Cavern Club, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Hard Days Night hotel etc.. not to mention their houses
  • The Albert Dock - Tate Liverpool, Mersey Maritime Museum, International Slavery, Beatles Story, shops, bars & restaurants, yellow duckmarine rides, also hot air balloon rides this summer if I recall correctly
  • Anfield - stadium tour, matches etc.. hosts a permanent European Cup ;)
  • Aintree racecourse & the Grand National
  • The Golf Coast - Golf courses/events including Royal Birkdale (the Open this year) and Royal Liverpool (Open in 2006)
  • Western Approaches - The Battle of the Atlantic HQ
  • The Mersey Ferries - Views of Liverpool & the "Three Graces", Seacombe Ferry Spaceport, a real U-boat at Woodside ferry, another Beatles Story Museum at new Pier Head ferry terminal soon, cruises up the Manchester Ship Canal
  • Port Sunlight & Lady Lever Art Gallery
  • Public artwork like "Another Place" by Anthony Gormley at Crosby Beach, "Turning the place over" by moorfields or the Superlambanana
  • William Brown Street Conservation Area - St Georges Hall, World Museum, Walker Art Gallery
  • Two stunning cathedrals, one of which is the biggest in britain and one of the largest cathedrals in the world. Dunno how much of an attraction they are in their own right but tourists certainly visit them

we'll be able to add Museum of Liverpool Life to that list in a year or so as well :)

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Probably not so many for Sheffield as other places, but here goes...
Art:
-Millennium Galleries (Sheffield Galleries are the only group of galleries/museums outside of London with a formal link to the V&A - along with informal ones to the Tate and National Portrait Gallery),
-Graves Art Gallery,
-Bloc Gallery,
-S1 Artspace,
-Yorkshire Artspace,
-Site Gallery,
(Plus more venues that are used during festivals)

Museums:
-City Museum (Weston park) - Recently refurbished and has won multiple awards
-Kelham Island Museum,
-Fire & Police Museum,
-Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet,
-Bishops House,
-Magna

Theatres and Music:
-The Crucible,
-The Lyceum,
-Crucible Studio,
-Lots of other small ones dotted around (I can think of 5)
-City Hall,
-12,500 seat arena,
-Carling Academy,
-About 5 mid-large sized ( in the 1-3000 capacity) live music venues

Other:
-Sports facilities - Don Valley Stadium, (Arena), EIS, Ice Sheffield, Ponds Forge + plenty of others
-Natural-ness - Peak District (& climbing), Parks & Forests, city centre open spaces, Winter Gardens
-Lots of Stately homes surrounding (Chatsworth being the main one)
-Other nearby tourist attractions (Bakewell, Buxton, Chesterfield)
-Festivals & events (go check out www.eventsheffield.com to get an idea of how many there are!)

Most of these aren't things that on there own will attract tourists, but it's all things tourists will do when they're here.

IMO Sheffield really needs to have a gallery or museum of national/international importance to attract tourists to the city. However I'm not sure the council/regeneration bodies are at all ambitious enough to make something like that happen :eek:hno: They seem quite content with the Millenium Galleries - which although they have some great exhibitions on are nothing like big enough, or have any kind of pull outside of the region.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
Museums and Galleries
-Royal Armouries
-City Art Gallery
-Henry Moore Institute
-Abbey House
-Thwaite Mills
-Discovery Centre
-Thackary Medical Museum
-Armley Mills Industrial Museum
-Fulneck Morovian Museum
-Horsforth Museum
-Manor House Gallery
-Leeds City Museum from August 2008

Houses
-Harewood House
-Temple Newsam
-Bramham Park
-Lotherton Hall
-The Mansion, Roundhay

Cultural Attractions
-West Yorkshire Playhouse
-The Grand for Opera North and Northern Ballet
-City Varieties Music Hall
-Phoenix Dance Theatre
-Carriageworks
-Hyde Park Picture House
-Leeds Town Hall for Concerts including the Piano Festival.

Others
-Tropical World
-Roundhay Park Botanical Gardens and Lakes
-Middleton Railway
-Golden Acre Park
-Kirkgate Market
-Elland Road
-Kirkstall Abbey
-River Cruises

Also, significant tourist centres in the city region include
-York
-Harrogate
-Bradford
-Yorkshire Dales, Ripon, Skipton and market towns
-Wakefield for Xscape and Yorkshire Sculpture Park

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Probably not so many for Sheffield as other places, but here goes...

• The 'cultural core' - Millennium Galleries (Sheffield Galleries are the only group of galleries/museums outside of London with a formal link to the V&A - along with informal ones to the Tate and National Portrait Gallery), Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Graves Art Gallery, Crucible, Lyceum and Studio theatres
  • Other museums - City Museum (& Weston Park), Kelham Island Museum, Fire & Police Museum, Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Bishops House, Magna
  • Lots of smaller public galleries - Bloc, S1 Artspace, Yorkshire Artspace, Site Gallery -however i'm not sure if the tourists ever find out about these as they don't advertise particularly well :dunno:
  • Peak District (and the parks & squares - not really tourist attractions in themselves though)
  • Sports Facilities (along with music venues...)

Most of these aren't things that on there own will attract tourists, but it's all things tourists will do when they're here.

IMO Sheffield really needs to have a gallery or museum of national/international importance to attract tourists to the city. However I'm not sure the council/regeneration bodies are at all ambitious enough to make something like that happen :eek:hno: They seem quite content with the Millenium Galleries - which although they have some great exhibitions on are nothing like big enough, or have any kind of pull outside of the region.
There is always Hallam fc ground, which is the oldest ground in the world.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
probably too much to list but i'll have a go at listing some of the more well known tourist attractions in Liverpool
  • The Beatles - Mathew Street, Cavern Club, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Hard Days Night hotel etc.. not to mention their houses
  • The Albert Dock - Tate Liverpool, Mersey Maritime Museum, International Slavery, Beatles Story, shops, bars & restaurants, yellow duckmarine rides, also hot air balloon rides this summer if I recall correctly
  • Anfield - stadium tour, matches etc.. hosts a permanent European Cup ;)
  • Aintree racecourse & the Grand National
  • The Golf Coast - Golf courses/events including Royal Birkdale (the Open this year) and Royal Liverpool (Open in 2006)
  • Western Approaches - The Battle of the Atlantic HQ
  • The Mersey Ferries - Views of Liverpool & the "Three Graces", Seacombe Ferry Spaceport, a real U-boat at Woodside ferry, another Beatles Story Museum at new Pier Head ferry terminal soon, cruises up the Manchester Ship Canal
  • Port Sunlight & Lady Lever Art Gallery
  • Public artwork like "Another Place" by Anthony Gormley at Crosby Beach, "Turning the place over" by moorfields or the Superlambanana
  • William Brown Street Conservation Area - St Georges Hall, World Museum, Walker Art Gallery
  • Two stunning cathedrals, one of which is the biggest in britain and one of the largest cathedrals in the world. Dunno how much of an attraction they are in their own right but tourists certainly visit them

we'll be able to add Museum of Liverpool Life to that list in a year or so as well :)
add world of glass st helens mersyside

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
:lol:

just going down to the Pierhead is a fantastic experience in itself!

Knowsley Safari park is alright too, if you don't mind baboons and chimps wiping thier arses on your windows that is!

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
:lol:

Ah good old safari parks. The priceless expression on the face of granny as those randy little fuckers the monkeys start bumming each other and jizzing all over the car bonnet.

Here we come...Disgusting!

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
One of the great tourist attractions of Birmingham, which the Americans love for some reason is the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery which has the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art in the world.

http://www.bmag.org.uk

Some of it I can stomach but some of it the Americans would be welcome to have.

We also have a little known gallery at the University of Birmingham, the Barber Institute of Fine Art which is only allowed to purchase art that the National Gallery or Wallace Collection would be allowed to purchase so it has one work of most of the great artists.
It's won best small gallery before because it is like a mini National Gallery. Worth a gander if your in Birmingham.

http://www.barber.org.uk/

One of my favourite attractions must be the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow. Hint Hint Boards :)

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
Not tonight, Josephine;) Maybe tomorrow. I'm certainly not going to try and list all the tourist attractions in the city either although the city excells in parks and galleries, fine buildings too of course and cultural and sporting events. The most notable coming attraction would be the new £80m Transport Museum by Zaha Hadid currently u/c. Did a bit of work for the city council the week before it reopened though, Kelvingrove, got to get a sneaky peek and took a gander around before the masses, was pretty cool, haunted apparently lol and the electrics are a nightmare one the leccies told me. Birmingham museums sound interesting, I really need to visit the great metropolis again soon, love the mass of the city centre.

1 - 20 of 519 Posts