SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
^^ :D

Hi guys!!

Thanks a lot for all this this info and all the help you're giving me.
First of all I'm going to tell you a bit about our journey and then I'll give more details.
We arrive to Venice next wednesday, 11th june and we come back to Spain next 25th june also from the Venice airport. We have in mind to visit Liubliana (Slovenia) and finish our trip down in Dubrocknick, maybe also visit Montenegro. And finally go back to Venice.

Our big problem is what to visit in the way, and how to organize time and places. Therefore I would be greatfull if you could give me this kind of advice, including recommendations on restaurants and afordable hotels. It would be great if you could also tell us which is the best transport to travell from one place to another. We are interested in architecture, art, sightseeing and of course to rest on the beach.

Thanks again, looking forward to read your posts. ;)
There are two ways from Ljubljana toward south, either via Zagreb or via Istria (north Croatian coast).

The best way to commute within Croatia is by buses (frequent and reliable); trains are scarce (good if you go directly Zagreb to Split for example).

Via Zagreb: Ljubljana to Zagreb by train, from Zagreb toward south (Plitvice Lakes national park) by bus, further south also by bus.

Via Istria: a bus to Rovinj, than to Pula; take a SplitTours ferry Pula – Mali Lošinj - Zadar (does not run every day, other option is bus), continue Zadar to Šibenik, Split (stopover in Trogir) by bus; ferry/catamaran to Hvar island; ferry/catamaran Hvar to Korčula, ferry/bus from Korčula to Dubrovnik.

Pula - Zadar
http://www.splittours.hr/ShipLines.aspx?lang=EN

Catamaran Split-Hvar-Korčula
http://www.krilo.hr/raspored_en.htm

Ferries:
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/

You can make day trips to Montenegro (Kotor Bay) from Dubrovnik by bus
http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/voznired.swf

To get back to Venice take a ferry Dubrovnik to Bari in Italy, than the train up to Venice.
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1304
http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

This is just a sketch, of course. If you’re on a budget, the cheapest accommodation is to book a private room. Do it through tourist office, you’ll find these in all city/town centers – don’t take the room offered at bus stations or ferry ports directly by owners (these are usually also good, but the other option is safer).

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
^^ thanks a lot ;)

First of all, thank you for all the information you are providing, it's very useful.
We would like to know what is worth to visit in the way from Dubrocknik up north to Pola. Besides Split, which we will visit for sure.
Which are the most recommendable beaches in Croatia??
Which is the minimum age to rent a car in Croatia?? is it cheap??
From Zadar to Pola there are only two ferries per week, according to the link of Zanovijetalo has sent. Is there any other transport???
The bus that goes from Zagreb to Dubrocknick, does it stop in the Plitvice Lakes??
Thaks again.

Thanks again!!!!

·
con los terroristas
14,430 Posts
^^ thanks a lot ;)

First of all, thank you for all the information you are providing, it's very useful.
We would like to know what is worth to visit in the way from Dubrocknik up north to Pola. Besides Split, which we will visit for sure.
Which are the most recommendable beaches in Croatia??
Which is the minimum age to rent a car in Croatia?? is it cheap??
From Zadar to Pola there are only two ferries per week, according to the link of Zanovijetalo has sent. Is there any other transport???
The bus that goes from Zagreb to Dubrocknick, does it stop in the Plitvice Lakes??
Thaks again.

Thanks again!!!!
Zadar is nice (it has great old city at penninsula). all of the islands (except Vir) are allways nice. from the smaller places at the coast i'd suggest Rovinj, Cavtat, Primošten, Trogir, Makarska for instance (i have sorted them by my taste).
beaches? the most known one is Zlatni Rat at island of Brač near Bol. the best beaches are usually not near famous places. my favourite beach is at island of Lošinj, but it is totally out of your route. if you wanna party 24/7, Zrče beach at island of Pag is for you, but i don't suggest it at all because i hate those places.
car rental: i think that minimal age is 21 (i know for sure that in some agencies it is, i'm not sure is it possible with less). renting is not cheap. polo/punto/corsa class you can find from 40-50€ on per day, golf/astra/bravo class from 70, vectra/passat class from 100. of course, as longer as the renting period lasts, price falls down.
about Zadar - Pula ba ship - i think it runs daily in summer. you allways have bus, but it will take you at least 7 hours. and you allways have plane. the best thing would be is you could rent a car in Zadar and drive to Pula. it might be little bit hard, but road between Zadar and Rijeka is breathless, especially in sunset.
bus from Zagreb to Dubrovnik stops at Plitvice if it doesn't go via motorway. so, you must check at timetable that it goes via Slunj and Gračac, but if you expect to see some of the lakes and waterfalls from the road - impossible. actually, you can see one waterfall at one place, but you'll miss it definitely :D

·
Powered by Jet-A1
34,430 Posts
Zadar...for sure! :eek:kay:

I'd also recomend Trogir:

It is the part of the Split metro area...some 25km from the city.
Very elite atmosphere. Palm treas, huge yahts docked at the shore, medevil castles... :)

Btw. this is the Zlatni Rat beech, X-type was talking about :master: :

:cheers:

·
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's ok. Train goes through Hungary and Croatia only. No Bosnia.

Zagreb is not that small - it's quite big actually if you're referring to the area in km2 but everything is well connected - tram system can get you almost anywhere you want so no need to worry about that :). In addition you get a chance to ride in new low floor trams which make majority of rolling stock and look really nice.

And BTW for "thanks" in Croatian we say "hvala".

:cheers:
When you say not that big? What do you mean? How long do you think it'll take someone to see all of Zagreb? :?

Im contemplating cause im short on time now...
I either got 22nd or 24th to leave....so im checkng whats more viable...

Im guessing that i may crash at the airport possibly :)
hehe....

Any tips you give me to see in Zagreb? :?

·
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The train networks in Croatia have been significantly improved over the last decade, especially the links to Split. You might want to look into car rentals as well, but if you want to save some cash (who doesnt?) train or bus is the best way, especially considering how close the two cities are. As for Zagreb to Split, another option you might want to take a look at is that party train I have heard of before. I know sounds kinda crazy, but some of the other forumers here might have a better idea of what I am talking about, as I just like you am living in the T-Dot, and it is dam hot in the last two days. Otherwise, you can probaby get a decent car rental from Zagreb-Split, and the new highway is pretty fast. Again, bus or train would be cheaper. What kind of holiday are you looking for exactly? Quiet time, raving beach parties, cultural sights...there is a fair bit. Dubrovnik is not too far from Split either it would be worth visiting.

Cheers

Hey...
tell me more about this Bus party thing.
I saw it ONCE in Prague. This hostel that moves around. Its insane.... but kinda akward. I think you chill for like 4-5-9 hours on a bus and then go to your hostel and run around. Sort of like contiki, but more than one place.

Hot in Zagreb -thats ok :)

Ummmmm im intrested in sight seeing and the going out to the clubs and stuff..... beach and quiet time...naaaaaaaaaaa
I think im gonna just check out some museums and possibly go and search a Croatian phone book for my last name.... :lol:

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
When you say not that big? What do you mean? How long do you think it'll take someone to see all of Zagreb? :?

Im contemplating cause im short on time now...
I either got 22nd or 24th to leave....so im checkng whats more viable...

Im guessing that i may crash at the airport possibly :)
hehe....

Any tips you give me to see in Zagreb? :?
Zagreb has a population of approximately 1.2 million people but in essence the main part of the city that you wish to see and can quite easily cover in a day is the city centre. Basically these are the area's known as Donji Grad (lower town) and Gornji Grad (upper town).

Once you arrive at the central station you exit on the northern side which places you directly into the Habsburg era "Donji Grad" (Lower Town). Walk directly north along one of the streets leading from the station which after approximately 10 minutes takes you into the main city square called Trg Ban Jelacic (Ban Jelacic Square).

This is the focal point from which you can wonder to other adjacent areas of the city centre which are of interest.

A short distance north of Ban Jelacic Square is the "Gornji Grad" (Upper Town) districts which sit on the hill overlooking to lower town. This area dates from medieval times and is the oldest part that contains the Croatian parliaments, Saint Marks church, etc.

There are plenty of things to see and do. Zagreb also has quite a number of good museums and galleries.

Let us know what would interest you and we can make some suggestions on what to see and do. :cheers:

Hey...
tell me more about this Bus party thing.
I saw it ONCE in Prague. This hostel that moves around. Its insane.... but kinda akward. I think you chill for like 4-5-9 hours on a bus and then go to your hostel and run around. Sort of like contiki, but more than one place.

Hot in Zagreb -thats ok :)

Ummmmm im intrested in sight seeing and the going out to the clubs and stuff..... beach and quiet time...naaaaaaaaaaa
I think im gonna just check out some museums and possibly go and search a Croatian phone book for my last name.... :lol:
Basically its an overnight train that departs Zagreb in the evening and arrives in Split the following morning. I think it has a DJ playing on the journey and is aimed more at the younger crowd. :) The city of Split is an excellent place for some summer fun. You can take day trips to some of the nearby islands via ferry such as Brac Island as one example. Split also has some cool roman era attractions such as Emperor Diocletian's Palace. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
You can search train connections from Budapest to Zagreb here:

Train connections

It takes approximately 5 and half hours. About prices you have to ask.

From Zagreb to Split you have party train every Friday at 22:55 and you are in Split early in the morning.

·
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
^^ Thats my kinda bus :D

But'll check the dates....

Is Split bigger in Sqx2 compared to Zagreb?

·
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sweet...

Ok ok..

off topic here...
who has a fan shop and how close is it to the city/tourist core?

Hadjok Split or Dynamo Zagreb? :?

·
con los terroristas
14,430 Posts
Sweet...

Ok ok..

off topic here...
who has a fan shop and how close is it to the city/tourist core?

Hadjok Split or Dynamo Zagreb? :?
in Zagreb it is about 5 tram station from main city square. cca 1,5 km.

about sightseeing in Zagreb - you can do it in one day, but from morning till evening. my recomandation: first when you come to Zagreb go to the main square and there you have tourist information office (if you'll ask somebody about it, it is at angle of Jelačić square and Jurišićeva street, then every1 will know where it is ;) ). girls whoe are working there are fantastic and, frankly, i haven't seen such nice and kind toursit information office nowhere where i have been yet.

·
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
^^ :) cute tourist info girls too?

I forgot to ask...how long does the Tram stay operating ? :?
Do they check your ticket everytime you go on? :?

umm if Zagreb is 1 day..how long would it take to go see Split?

·
con los terroristas
14,430 Posts
well, ok, 1 day if you have good guide with good plan, such as i am while my friends come to me :D if you're on your own, you can allways discover new interesting things which take time.

tram - operates between 5:30 and 23:30 (maybe i have shoretened it for half an hour, i'm not sure), but during the night you have night lines, they run approximately each 45-60 minutes and cover most of daily tracks.

controling tickets - no, there are unexpected controlers in civil clothes which appear when you expect them at least :D if you're there during weekend, no need for tickets because i ahve never seen controler at weekend, nor after 19 h at working day

girls in info office were cute, too, especially the one who was reserved for spanish speaking tourists :)

21 - 40 of 328 Posts