SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
12,361 Posts
i've seen your renders on 1WTC thread already, great job mate. :applause:
although i think the renders doesn't have maximum quality.
which software do you use?

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3D Studio Max 2011, using the built in Mental Ray rendering. And, yes, I only go up to 4xAA since 16xAA takes a lot longer to do. 4x takes 3-5 min per render. 16x takes 20-30 minutes, though it does look better. I could screw around with the final gather settings too, but...whatever.

I might crank up the settings much higher, but I'll wait until I'm done with everything. I think I'll add volumetric clouds first.

·
insertoronto
4,027 Posts
Looks awesome, but I noticed the base doesn't have the offset panels like in the renders, they're all aligned like the rest of the tower.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^That's because the panels aren't supposed to be offset. They're not going to be exactly as shown above and in this post, they currently vary by a small detail in the panel mounting (which I was made aware of by someone working on the tower AFTER I built the section), but the arrangement and materials are correct. I'll fix when I get back around to this building. Tower 2 needs be completely redone (and I never finished it the first time through, as does my Tower 4.

Now that I think about it, I have a Burj Dubai model that needs a few tweaks too...

·
Take off, eh!
298 Posts
Very nice work STR.
I'm in the process of switching to 3D Max from
Sketchup. Any tips or advice?

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^Umm...save often. As expensive as 3D studio is, it sure crashes a hell of a lot.

I totally redid my Tower 1 model, correcting a few mistakes and adding a whole level in detail. This bad body is now 124,000 polys. Here's the results:

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^Nowhere. I got my first version second-hand and learned as I went.

From ESB (Test render of new background model). My new background model is 3.7 million polys, includes hi-res ground textures, and I'm upgrading my RAM to handle all of it (it covers all of Manhattan, what's below is just 2 of 17 sections of the city).

Dusk

Winter-ish effect

Infinity

Dawn

Low noon in winter.

Aerial

·
12,361 Posts
amaaaaazing work dude! :applause::applause::applause:

altough i don't like the new cladding on the base of 1WTC...will the real cladding look like this, too? i hope not... :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts