Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yet another spin-off from the West Midlands Tower Blocks>>>British Tower Blocks threads!

Post any photos of residential tower blocks/commieblocks from around the world that were built in and around the 1960s that you've taken yourself or have found on the internet.

So let's see what you've found!!!!!! :happy: :cheer:

EDIT: Thanks to stef17 for giving me the idea for this thread. :)

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To kick things off, something a bit obscure - tower blocks in Martigny in south west Switzerland: :happy:

(scroll to the right)

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something a bit taller? Melbourne, Australia! :pepper:

(from the Melbourne Commieblocks thread)

·
Registered
989 Posts
speechless about Melbourne :eek: I count 40 storeys! Scottish blocks coming up later today when I've rubbed the sleep out of my eyes...

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Do you think we should have an international tower block wiki? :lol:

·
Registered
989 Posts
bollocks! I thought this was in the world forums but its still in the UK hang-out :( I was looking forward to seeing some African/Asian/Martian stuff that are so out of the way only the locals know that it's there... And show off our british stuff as well. Oh ****... that means i just... ****! bye bye two hours of my life! :mad:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh schemie!! :eek: :pet:

Don't worry, I love your photos and I love you. In a forumer kind of a way. :yes: (You have to build them up before you knock them down. :shifty:) But I did wonder why you were posting photos we've seen before. This thread isn't in the world forums so the same forumers from the British Blocks thread will see these! But I think you worked that out eventually. :|

I created this thread for us British folk (and a few other people) to discuss foreign tower blocks rather than gatecrashing threads with people from around the world we don't know. And rather than filling out our other thread with non British blocks.

Do you think we should have an international tower block wiki? :lol:
Maybe later. :lol:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Here's some other pictures:

Rostock, Germany:

Reactions: RalphGuy

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
The block in the top photo I just put has been demolished.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That first block, the one that's been demolished, has exactly the same windows and concrete between each floor of windows as Dudley's Butterfield Court before it was refurbished and it's dead neighbours! I'm quite shocked at how similar it is. Not the shape or brown bits though.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I love you
:rofl: i thought you'd gone soft there until i read on! Love you too man! Real forum love going on here people :rofl:

and are there any giant 20m tall graffiti artists in Rostock? Check the 8th floor wall in Erebus' top pic. Thats my fav pic so far. So run down... So urbanly decaying before our eyes... fantastic! Like these!:

Gdansk, Poland

Kalinngrad, Poland

Prague, Czech Republic

Bratislava, Slovakia

Most, Czech republic (Amazing! People still live on this estate!)

Rostock, Germany

Belgrade, Serbia

Beijing, CHina

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^:eek: OMG! It's... it's... beautiful! :eek:

Oh and thanks eusebius - they are mighty slabs!

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some great pictures here people! :happy:

schemie - you've dug out some goodies there! These in Prague...

...remind me of that lot in Glasgow - Castlemilk is it? It's the way they're positioned.

Everyone feel free to post tower blocks from their own countries like eusebius and Marek.kvackaj have. :yes: But any tower blocks in the UK are banned from this thread. ;)

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Ooh Prague. I'll be there in just over 2 weeks. I'll see what I can find.
The blocks in Serbia and Poland take brutalism and general decay to the next level.
Im actually shocked that some people still live on that estate. I bet it's terrifying there at night.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Right I thought it would be interesting to post some pictures of one of the creepiest places. Pripyat near Chernobyl is basically a ghost town. Only a few and I mean literally a few people and some scientists live there. I'd love to go there one day to take a look around at all the belongings of the people who lived there that have just been left exactly how it was. It'd be like a step back in time in a way.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woooooow... :eek:

I've seen pictures like this ages ago - amazing stuff, thanks for those stef.

Note the ferris wheel thing on the 3rd picture - all just abandoned.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts