Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an essay to do over the summer break of 60's housing and tower blocks in Leeds.
If any of you have any pictures or know of any websites where I can find pictures of tower blocks and other housing schemes from that era it would be appreciated. I've had a look on Flickr and have found some pictures but I need alot of pictures in order to gather enough research for me to pass the essay.
Cheers, Stef :)

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well Birmingham already has a thread about tower blocks and Im not at uni in Birmingham so it's not relevant and Leeds has a fairly large number of tower blocks from what I've seen. I take it you don't have any info for me then?

·
6,979 Posts
I have an essay to do over the summer break of 60's housing and tower blocks in Leeds.
If any of you have any pictures or know of any websites where I can find pictures of tower blocks and other housing schemes from that era it would be appreciated. I've had a look on Flickr and have found some pictures but I need alot of pictures in order to gather enough research for me to pass the essay.
Cheers, Stef :)
That's a coincidence, I'm doing a similar assignment in August (for my OU AT308 course), focusing in part on 60s high rise buildings in Leeds. I've just started doing research, I haven't found a lot on the internet apart from the Leodis.org website, but I went into the central library yesterday in the local study section, and found published annual reports from each council department (town planning, housing, city architects etc), and in the late '50s - early '60s books, they've got reports on all the areas being planned and contracts issued for council high rise residential blocks, all the familiar names are there with some images and architectural renders, including some that appear to have been proposals that weren't built (including 23 storey blocks), it's quite fascinating.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^Wow! Impressive array of designs! :tongue2:

Stef; I suggest you try out the emporis Leeds page. Sadly there are only a few pictures on there and the larger images are copyrighted and watermarked. There's some good info on there. As well as that you can try out the Skyscrapernews.com page.

I'll try and find some books for you that might be useful for you! :happy:

Oh and wiggley; think before you make unintelligible comments like that. You're only asking for trouble with things like that, especially when you don't seem to understand the whole point of tower block construction in the first place.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Here's Lidgett Towers in Leeds (plurality in the name but there was only one of them). It was opened in 1957 and was one of the tallest tower blocks in the country.

This is from the opening commemoration booklet:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Aah someone posted that on the British tower blocks thread. They look so dull and dark in real life. It's good to see that they are being refurbed and not sucumbing to the fate of the wrecking ball!

I've only ever seen the Rotunda in Birmingham in a state comparable to this:!

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
I just posted this in the wrong thread! :bash:

We've seen this on the British Tower blocks thread before - didn't realise it was the same one.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Apologies for asking questions and reviving a decade old thread (and please be free to move this thread to the Skybar) but I have a number of questions regarding council tower blocks in Leeds:
* Were Cottingley Towers and Cottingley Heights the last high rise council flats to be built in Leeds back in 1972.

Cottingley Towers on Wikipedia

* Were there ever any planned high rise council flats never built in Leeds. As an example was a fourth Shakespeare tower planned across the road from St James's Hospital by the Shakespeare Approach / Shakespare Street junction considering there is a conveniently sized plot available where a fourth tower could go?

Shakespeare Flats on Wikipedia

* Were the only high rise council flats in Leeds to be imploded using explosives those in Swarcliffe?

Swarcliffe 2001 on Leodis prior to the demolition of all but one block of flats there

* Are any blocks of flats in Leeds planned to be refurbished or demolished in the future?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts