SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there has been talk of the twin cities merging – and I am all for it.
I believe the reason why this region gets overlooked so often (up till lately anyway) is because of the population stats. Instead of being counted as a major regional community of 160,000, we are always seen as two separate cities (possibly towns) with smaller respective populations. This is also the reason we seldom appear on the weather map, giving way to our northern neighbour.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
That sounds very true. didn't of think of things that way.

·
6,434 Posts
You must have read the Bulletin Rodie, at 2.42am no less - I'm impressed, didn't even know it was online that early. Because there's an article in the Townsville Bulletin today on the alalgamation issue:

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,15335456%5E14787,00.html

I like this bit:
"There's a trauma attached to the integration of two fairly large councils and there are issues with loss of productivity," Cr Tyrell said. "I can't think of a building big enough to have staff in."
So build a nice new highrise office complex in the CBD! :banana:

But skyscrapers aside I don't feel strongly either way. I don't see any real benefits and I don't think it would lift our image that much. Major capitals like Sydney & Melbourne are divided up into dozens of LGA's but still manage to maintain an identity as a city.

The worst think about separate cities is the minority of Thuringowans who tell you they don't live in Townsville, they live in Thuringowa, like they are separate and independant cities. I mean someone from, say Warringah won't deny they live in Sydney.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
It would be only intelligent. (to merge the cities)

I see Thuringowa as Townsville anyway.

And Merging councils isnt that hard lol. Brisbane did it. With multiple councils I Believe.

GO for it, make it official. Make Townsville jump up the ranks in city population to said 160k.

·
©
9,470 Posts
Whenever i'm out in the Thuringowa suburbs, i never consider myself to be in another city anyway, i still consider it as Townsville.

·
5,158 Posts
I saw a good map display somewhere of how Townsville has gradually taken over more and more of Thuringowa's council area in the past - not sure where I saw it though? Anyway, seems only natural that Townsville should completely swallow Thuringowa and become one big council. :yes:

With regard to Sydney and Melbourne having lots of LGA's, while this is true, many of these LGA's are around the size that the combined Townsville-Thuringowa population would be, so it is quite an efficient population size.

·
6,434 Posts
Yeh, here it is finn. I'll be damned if I can remember where I posted it but I found it in my photobucket.

When you say Syd & Melb LGA's are about the size of "metro" Townsville, you mean population wise right. I'm sure they'd be much smaller in terms of land area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cairns and Mulgrave amalgamation successful

With regard to the Townsville and Thuringowa amalagamation i have my pros and cons. It would be good in terms of marketing the area to outside developers with one set of city rules and regulations instead of two. However since Thuringowans arent too keen on it as reported in Townsville bulletin i believe its justifiable in that they want to retain thier own identity. The current Thuringowa City Council sets precedents in areas that some other Councils dont and its something mayor Tyrrel and his city are proud of.
Recently Cairns was in the same boat as Townsville with the former Mulgrave Shire Council, however Cairns and Mulgrave amalagamation was forged by the state government. And as a result of that Amalgamation Cairns' population went from 45,000 to 120,000. Its hard to believe that Cairns City starts 15k's north of innisfail and extends along a narrow coastal strip for about 95k's. Even though its all one city,l generally see Babinda, Mirriwini and Gordonvale as having thier own identity yet governed by the one council.

It was reported in Monday's Cairns post 18th May 2005, a johnstone shire councillor is proposing a merger with Cairns city to help the cash strapped and almost insolvent council, he feels that it would increase thier chances of government funding and would provide a more skilled workforce.
I doubt it would ever eventuate as i feel Cardwell Shire Council and Johnstone Shire council should amalgamate as they have more in Common. Cairns City is more tourism focused than Cardwell and Johnstone who are more agriculturally focused

·
6,434 Posts
Sounds more like Cairns is planning on gradually moving down the coast to conquer Townsville, consuming all shires in their path to me. :D Seriously though a Johnstone/Cardwell merger sounds better to me too Bergin - that'd be too much for Cairns to manage IMO. Here's a map of north east Qld LGA's

From here> http://www.lgp.qld.gov.au/?id=635

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
The Johnstone Shire should try and force people to come north to live in Innisfail and make the Innisfail/Johnstone City Council.

·
Registered
93 Posts
nice map where did you get it from?
Anyways yes i do agree with you in that the area would be too much for Cairns City to manage however if Thuringowa City can successfully manage a relatively large area thats twice the size of Cairns City than it would be a challenge that im sure Cairns can grow accustomed to, Cairns City has successfully taken over management of the former Mulgrave Shire with minimal hiccups.
Johnstone shire currently has an estimated population of 19,000 if it were to merge with Cairns City than we could roughly see a population in 140k's...
Hey Orilious how does the process of Amalgamtion works? do you have to take it to the local government association meeting in Brisbane? and just say if Cairns and Johnstone was to amalgamate would the LGA annex some of the former Johnstone Shire area and divide it up between Cardwell Shire and Cairns City? or would Cairns City take full control of the Johnstone shire area?

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Both Mareeba and Johnstone Shires have around 19 000 looks like future City councils are coming soon. But also in speaking, If Cairns had amalgamated with Johnstone Shire, it wouldn't be too large, infact take a look at Mount Isa's City Council area, infact did anyone know that Mt Isa is the Worlds largest city. . . . .
By Area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts