Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1 of a thread about some of the great heritage buildings around Townsville:

The Queens Hotel, on The Strand, was built in stages between 1903 and 1925 and was for many years the finest hotel in North Queensland. In recent times it has been the studios of Channel Ten but is now unfortunately empty.

The Conolly Suthers Building was formally the AMP Building, built in 1938. It is located at the Stanley St end of Flinders Mall.

The Bank is probably the finest building on Flinders St East, which was the commercial centre of early Townsville. It used to be an actual bank (Australian Joint Stock Bank) when built in 1887 but is now The Bank Nite Club.

The Customs House, on the Strand opposite Anzac Park, was completed in 1902. It is rumoured that several tunnels, used in WWII, emanate from the building, one going to the nearby Queens Hotel.

These former state government offices were built in 1928 and have now been converted into 6 apartments.

The Queensland Building was built in 1892 and sits on the corner of Wickham & Flinders St East. The Museum of Tropical Queensland now wraps around it.

The imposing Westpac Building is adjacent to centre stage in Flinders Mall. It was built in 1935 and is still used by Westpac.

The quaint little Osler House on Sturt St was built in 1889 and has been a doctor’s surgery for much of its history.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
nice. Did you take them all?

When i was there i do think i recall the '10' symbol on that building lol.

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Malt. Yeh I took all the photos.

For anyone interested in anything of Townsville's heritage buildings check out these sites:
Townsville Heritage Database - detailed information, photo and location map for 1265 properties in Townsville of heritage value.
http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/about/heritage/heritageDB.asp
Townsville Heritage Trails - information, including historical photos, on the most significant buildings in the CBD.
http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/about/heritage/trails.asp

·
Registered
77,348 Posts
yes Tville has some great heritage bldgs.91 in total!

one of my favs.
sacred Heart cathedral. pity the 40m bell tower was never built. designed by melbourne architects-Reed Smart and Tappin

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Once Again, Nicely Done Oriolus, Queensland House as you said is now part of the Museum. It actually house offices and Admin stuff for The Muesum. My Uncle was on the Museum Board when it opened and he had a nice little office in QLD House. Another thing, maybe the Osler House Doctor surgery must be a family business probably, maybe not???

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gertzy - thanks. I didn't know Queensland House & MTQ were actually connected internally.

Culwulla - I didn't know that a bell tower was planned although I can see the base there on the left. Do you have any drawings of what it was to look like. Real shame it wasn't built.
A pre Highpoint pic from TCC

TCC heritage database also says the back wall is wooden because it was going to be extended? again didn't happen.

Sacred Heart Catherdal is undergoing restoration at the moment and will be closed until the end of the year. A new roof is now on, shame it isn't red though (old in 1st pic, new in 2nd)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts