SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Head Knockin' Forever
Joined
·
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The historical central district of Old Trabzon.











The Childhood House of Kanuni Sultan Süleyman "The Magnificant" in where he was trained to become a good emperor.





Ortahisar Mosque (Fatih Mosque)
Former Panaghia Khrysokephalos Virgin Mary (Golden-headed Virgin Mary) Church which was first constructed as a Roman Pagan Temple, then destroyed and rebuilt as a church and finally converted into a mosque in 1461 when Fatih conquered the Trabzon.





The structure which is formerly called as the Golden-headed Virgin Mary Church is supposed to have been built with a basilica plan within a monastery. Its construction date goes back to the year 914. However, present plan of the structure dates back to the 12. century. Historic records reveal that the structure has experienced six major restoration periods. The main plan is in the shape of a Greek cross. The structure with three naves has one apse that is round on the inside and polygonal on the outside. It has also one interior and one exterior narthex. Northem entrance is built in the 14. century. With its high and 12 cornered tambour, the central dome rests on pendentives.

The structure was ornamented elaborately since it was the main church and cathedral of the city once in a time. Mosaic ornamentation in opus sectile style is seen on some of its walls and ground.

After the conquest of Trabzon, it was converted into a mosque, and Fatih Medrese was built next to it. In the Ottoman Period, the main entrance to the mosque was moved to the north, a prayer niche was placed in the middle of the southern wall, and a pulpit and a minaret were added.

Prayer niche is wooden and ornamented richly. Borders with interlocking geometric motifs encircling the prayer niche, stalactite styled niche and rosettes resemble works of the Seljuks. And its pulpit built of walnut tree is a precious work of art.

The Orta Hisar Mosque was restored and decorated with ornamentations at various times, and all changes were infonned by inscriptions. Room on the east of the prayer niche was restored to a library in 1842, and an inscription was placed on its door.
 

·
Head Knockin' Forever
Joined
·
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The areas covered with gecekondu's are now lighter color than the main color of the walls... Like a wall after lifting the paintings hanging there for a very long time.. :D
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top