Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Hong Kong-er (or anyone else) who visits this thread, please try to contribute:

Post pictures of 'old' buildings or colonial style buildings that still exist in Hong Kong today

Here are three:

LEGCO Building, Central

The Peninsula, Tsim Sha Tsui

Murray House, Stanley (formerly Central)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Those are the more famous colonial buildings. But they're all really nice. I love that Murray House picture! Anyways, I heard they're re-developing the Marine Police Headquarters site in Tsim Sha Tsui. If I remember correctly, that building is also colonial right? How about the Government House and some of the Anglican churches?

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
Castle_Bravo said:
Those buildings are nice, but in Central there aren't many of them :D
There were a lot of colonial buildings in Central originally, but it's a pity that most of them have been demolished as it would be more cost effective to build office buildings in CBD.

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
raymond_tung88 said:
Those are the more famous colonial buildings. But they're all really nice. I love that Murray House picture! Anyways, I heard they're re-developing the Marine Police Headquarters site in Tsim Sha Tsui. If I remember correctly, that building is also colonial right? How about the Government House and some of the Anglican churches?
All buildings in Marine Police Headquarters site will be conserved, but it would be converted into a colonial-theme hotel.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Taller said:
I always thought there would be more colonial architecture left in HK than there is. These are nice pictures! How old is the oldest existing building in Hong Kong?
Hmm... I dunno but I do know that the oldest colonial building in Hong Kong is the Flagstaff Tea House in Hong Kong Park.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taller said:
I always thought there would be more colonial architecture left in HK than there is. These are nice pictures! How old is the oldest existing building in Hong Kong?

Yep - I think the general consensus is that whilst the glassy skyscrapers provide us with the world's best skyline, it would've been nice to have kept some of the old glorious looking buildings - as those mentioned above; not only are they part of Hong Kong's history, but they're also beautiful to look at and provide a change from the glass.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
I have been in the Flagstaff Tea House! Hong Kong Park is quite a lovely area. I remember running through the fountain when I was very little :)

Western Market (1906)

Central Police Station (1864, 1910, 1925)

As for the oldest building / structure I saw this on Emporis....
The Tsui Sing Lau Pagado (3 floors) was built in 1486
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=240853

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Taller said:
Hey Skybean, were you born in HK? I didn't know that! Very cool....

No. I was born in Vancouver. I moved to Toronto when I was 1 year of age. So I'm Canadian all-round! :cheers:

I visit HK often though.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Cunning Linguist said:
Aren't they demolishing Central Police Station? =(
Absolutely NOT! As that place is already protected by the law, those buildings are HK's heritage. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts