SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hong Kong Colonial Architecture. The Old Hong Kong Today

A lot of historial architecture in HK has sadly been torn down in the name of progress, but what is left is a great contrast to the many skycrapers of the city. Most of these buildings shown here are still in general use rather than made into museums

St. Pauls Church

British Pillar Mail Boxes. Originally painted red before the handover

Sham Shui Po Police Station

Central Police Station

Old Stanley Police Station (now ahem... a supermarket)

Murray House in Stanley, south HK Island

Queen's Pier, will be gone soon sadly due to harbour reclamation

The roof of the Former Blake's Pier In Central (Where 2 IFC is today). The roof will soon be moved to a soon to be built pier near the Murray House

Pedder Building

Former British Military Hospital

Arched tenements that used to cover all of HK

Former Marine Police Headquarters

Legislative Council Building

King's College

University of Hong Kong Main Building

Fringe Club

Apartments/Mansions

·
122,223 Posts
The majority of Hong Kong is set aside as country parks. Historical sites are being preserved. People nowadays are getting more vocal and involved in making sure local heritage is well kept. A mansion along the hillsides was withdrawn from the market earlier this year because of an outcry from preservationists since it was slated for demolition by any purchasing developer.

·
黄孟義
265 Posts
ooh, those are great pictures :) The Central Police station, the University, and the Sham Shui Po police station are my favorites. :D

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Any Hong Kong-er (or anyone else) who visits this thread, please try to contribute:

Post pictures of 'old' buildings or colonial style buildings that still exist in Hong Kong today

Here are three:

LEGCO Building, Central

The Peninsula, Tsim Sha Tsui

Murray House, Stanley (formerly Central)

---------------------------

CAN I PLEASE REQUEST THE MODS TO MAKE THIS A STICKY, SORT OF LIKE THE 'POST YOUR HONG KONG PICS' THREAD, BUT OF HONG KONG'S COLONIAL PAST

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I heard they taking down the Central Police Station... why on earth would they do that? I've also heard that the Yau Ma Tei Police Station is also a colonial building.

·
Registered
138 Posts
raymond_tung88 said:
I heard they taking down the Central Police Station... why on earth would they do that? I've also heard that the Yau Ma Tei Police Station is also a colonial building.
I'll kill who ever is the idiot that wants to bring down the Central police station. :bash:

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
Magic Night said:
I'll kill who ever is the idiot that wants to bring down the Central police station. :bash:
I don't think the former Central Police Station will be demolished, hopefully it will be converted for culture use.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts