SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PERÚ
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Lima, the capital city of my country, Peru (South America), it was common a certain type of balconies whose design surprised the European travelers. They used to say Lima resembled an Islamic city because of these balconies. Some mentioned that their origin was in Cairo and Baghdad.
I have heard about the shanasheel. I would like to know more about that type of Iraqi architecture. Do you know where is further information? and which Baghdad's quarters still have shanasheels?

This is a 19th century's picture of Mantas street in Lima, Peru.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice thread idea, well i found this information on Iraqi style "shanasheel" architecture.

"
Iraq, Baghdad/Adhamiya – Iraqi society is quite proud of its different types of architecture and design. Their buildings have evolved and taken different shapes over Iraq's history. In the time of the Babylonian civilization, the City of Babylon was famous for not just its decadence, but also the manner in which the houses and other buildings were constructed. During the era of the Abbasid Dynasty the Caliphs built many sites that are still standing until this moment. Buildings such as Al-Mustansariya university and several mosques like Al-Malwiyah in Samarra, were built by the Abbasids. Certainly some of Iraq's most famous recent architectural marvels are the bizarre monuments built under Saddam Hussein's regime, ending with the unfinished "Great Mosque" whose minarets are shaped like Iraqi Scud missiles.

The designs of houses vary widely across Iraq. You will find many different styles, likely there are more architectural styles than ethnic groups! A simple survey will uncover everything from houses made of mud and scrap metal to the most modern home designs. Most houses now share a similar design that is close to common Western designs. There are of course some differences in the way the houses look, and they have a certain Middle-Eastern flair of course. One of the rare architectural designs is called Shanasheel, "the hanging silk." This style of house was first found in the 1800s and early twentieth century. People first popularized this style in the city of Basra. This design depends greatly on wood and colored glass. After it became popular in Basra the design began to be used first in Baghdad and then in most Arabic countries. The Shanasheel design has been especially popular because it helps the house to stay cool in the Summer, while keeping warm in the Winter.

Many Iraqi artists began including the Shanasheel design in their artwork, creating a specifically Iraqi traditional style. They included it in paintings or graffiti on the walls around Baghdad. Through this practice the art traveled to Europe and to other places far from Iraq. Due to the age of most of the houses, they are particularly susceptible to damage from bombings and mortar attacks. Because of this, many of the homes are particularly dangerous to live in today, due to a high risk of collapse.

"

Here is a link to a video in the "Alive in Baghdad" series, specifically covering Shanasheel, Iraqi Traditional Architecture.
http://www.blip.tv/file/1221824

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Shanasheels are most commonly known for being found in Basra. I'll try to find some pictures.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Shanasheel in the old city of Basra 1954

Again, in Basra

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
^^ I just realised that is the same building, maybe the second photo was taken years later from the same angle, who knows.

Anyway here are some more up to date ones in Baghdad.

Old Baghdadi house

Shanasheel in an old Baghdadi street in Kadhumia district

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Hi Luisch.

the type of Closed balconies in Lima resembles more the Ottoman Turkish rather than Iraqi or Egyptian styles.

for example...

·
PERÚ
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for all your answers and comments.
Here I post other old pictures of Lima. These houses still exist.

House of Osambela

House of Negreiros. I like very much the wood latticework of these balconies.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
^^These images above are of those in the Kadhimiya district, there are also some in Adhamiyah as provided in the link to a video i previously posted. I imagine they must be in and around all of Baghdad, it is a prevalent feature of Iraqi architecture.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Do you know the name of the quarter/district where these balconies are? Maybe all the Baghdadi balconies are concentrated in the same district ¿?
All the houses built in Iraq until the 1930s were of this type, not only in Baghdad but in the smaller cities too.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
^^ Gorgoues!!

Here's another shot of a Jewish house in Basra.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts