SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be much support for poor old Trafford townhall amongst forummers so i'm starting a thread.

We've banged in a listing application and have got some good coverage.
BBC Radio Manchester did something and ive just done something for Channel M. I cant be bothered to sit there watching it all day (with the other 6 people who watch it!) but if any of you catch a balding, speccy, beardy bloke (very handsome aswell) ranting - let me know!
The BBc also put someting on their News website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/5015218.stm

Any help from you lot would be appreciated especially those of you who live in Trafford (b4mmy and .......erh.....i think thats it!) who should perhaps bang and email or two out to your local councillors.
Anyone who feels strongly enough can write to English Heritage (god forbid) supporting the listing app.

Farsight stated a worry that a listing may force the cricket to Wigan.
Thats not my decision i'm afraid and would regret that if that happened.
I can only get involved now (for legal reasons) in conversations about the Townhall building and the politics i'll leave to others!

I dont expect this thread to popular for long (if at all) but hey ho!
Appreciate any feedback, advice and postive support (or criticism if thats what you feel!) welcome.

PM me if you dont want to pronounce your heritage sympathies on here!

·
10th February 2008
59,917 Posts
For once I agree Longcampaign.

As a rule I don't shed a tear when buildings get demolished, but this building deserves to stay! There are numerous other sites in Trafford that could accommodate a new cricket/concert venue. Would any of these councilors back this plan if it meant demolishing their homes? I think not.

Desperate councilors, with desperate ideas.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not as simple as that HR.
As i understand it Trafford are offering the land where the town hall stands to Peel and LCCC to develop how they wish to raise funds to redevelop the ground where it is.
This isnt about land this is about money.
Must be careful what i say here but it would seem Peel will 'give' Trafford land near Dumplington precinct in return for their Town hall site.
Peel and LCCC will make a load of dough - LCCC will spend it on ground improvements, Peel will spend it on models for media city launches!
I must point out that none of the Tory councillors who decide on this will profit from the deal in any way and i cannot condone any suggestion of this.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
It's horrid Longford, even Swinton town hall is better!

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Ooo, don't be so harsh Weastey. Looks quite pretty, the tower's not astounding mind.

Unlike salfords 38m monolith!

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
I think Trafford Town Hall is nice and deserves being saved, it always looks nice in the summer when all the flowers are out.

·
Banned
278 Posts
The thing should be demolished or made into luxury units! No wonder Britain never moves on when so many people are stuck in the past! Time to move into Century number 21!

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think a hotel would be a better idea.
Close to both the OT's, plenty of room to 'maximise worth' at the back once you knock the extention down, grand rooms for functions etc.
If i had some cash (b4mmy's wages for two months for example) i would buy it and convert it to a hotel.
To be honest i dont care what they do with it - they can move to Timbuktoo for all i care - just dont knock it down.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
small start up incubator units would be good as well... tmbc can give something to the community and still build a new th at dumple

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
There are alot better older buildings in and around Manchester than that town hall. Has anyone been round the side of it? They have tried doing it up and it just looks crap.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Accura said:
This is all very nice, but I think the real issue at the centre of this is what is more important... LCCC or Trafford Town Hall? :)
accy, go and do a drive by.

The town hall is on the other side of a 4 lane dual carraigeway from the cricket club!

I've had dinner at the LCC a few times and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If they need a new stand, or even the whole ground redeveloping they can do the work during the winter months (about 10 every year) and on rainy days in teh summer (about 90% of them).

Theres loads of room to redevelop and loads of other possibilities... and Wigan is only a worst case scenario.

I wonder what the point is of pulling down the town hall. I just went up there to take some pics and it looks great! Its not run down, its in a nice bit of classical hard and soft landscaping, and above all its clean and servicable.

If Trafford dont want it then they can move. Fine. Longinthetooths idea of turning it into a hotel is not a bad one either. It would be a great addition for an area that really needs top class hotel accomodation... but that TH is too good to pull down. It is fully within the traditional northern town hall vernacular, with possibly a bit of slabby deco thrown in there. It looks much better in real life than in any photos. It would be a bloody crime to pull it down for a painfully dull and overhyped sport.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts