SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Some years ago I've seen a direct train from wien to athens. I saw it at Ljubljana main station and I remember see a very old fashion train arriving from Wien and going to Athens crossing the Balcans.

I like to take it this summer, but I cannot find information about it.

It's suspended? Which is the best way to reach athens from austria by train?

Thanks in advance,

Ferran

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No, there are no direct trains from Vienna to Athens. Unfortunately, the direct sleeping train connections from Vienna to Sofia and Bucharest have been cancelled a few months ago, too. So you would have to take a train to Budapest first, then change to Sofia, take bus or train from Sofia to Thessaloniki and there the train to Athens. I made a similiar train journey some time ago, was a great experience, and though it´s sometimes a bit stressing, you will see a thousand times as many interesting things during the journey as you would by taking a plane.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers!!

It's very strange... i remember it perfectly... I was at lubjiana main station, aprox 10pm, a train arrive from Wien, a lot of people jump in with a lot of bagage and cages with live chickens, I went to the schedule of the station and I saw that the train goes to Athens, it takes 42 hours to arrive... and I thought, not today, someday maybe...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the answers!!

It's very strange... i remember it perfectly... I was at lubjiana main station, aprox 10pm, a train arrive from Wien, a lot of people jump in with a lot of bagage and cages with live chickens, I went to the schedule of the station and I saw that the train goes to Athens, it takes 42 hours to arrive... and I thought, not today, someday maybe...
A train from Vienna to Athens would have never gone via Ljubljana, because thats quite a big detour.

There were direct trains from Dortmund or Munich to Athens untill 1991, when war started in former Yugoslavia. They went via Villach - Ljubljana - Zagreb. But there were no such trains from Vienna, maybe just a single direct waggon attached to different trains en-route (but definitely not via Ljubljana).

Currently it is not possible at all to rech Greece by train, as the Greek railways cancelled all cross-border passenger trains in january 2011 due to financial problems. You can only go by train to the last station in Macedonia or Bulgaqria and then form there try to find your way by taxi or bus over the border to Thessaloniki.

Nachalnik

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A train from Vienna to Athens would have never gone via Ljubljana, because thats quite a big detour.

There were direct trains from Dortmund or Munich to Athens untill 1991, when war started in former Yugoslavia. They went via Villach - Ljubljana - Zagreb. But there were no such trains from Vienna, maybe just a single direct waggon attached to different trains en-route (but definitely not via Ljubljana).

Nachalnik
sure? I don't undestand... but I'm pretty sure that there was a train from Ljubljana to Athens in 2004 aprox. Maybe i'm wrong on the Vienna origin, but i'm sure that exists a train...

·
yeah, whatever
5,758 Posts
You are right Ferriman, in 2004 there was a train Ljubljana to Athens. It was a seasonal train and called "Olympus" (D 411). During the rest of the year that train only went to Thessaloniki.

You were even right about Vienna! The regular train ended in Ljubljana but several coaches went on to Vienna (IC 159). However the Vienna coaches only went to Thessaloniki. So yes, you could travel from Vienna to Athens, but you had to change the coach inside the train at some point ;-)

So from what I know, only during the summer season you could ever travel to Athens in one train. I think the entire line to Greece was suspended in 2007. This is a great pity and it's mostly Greece's fault.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are right Ferriman, in 2004 there was a train Ljubljana to Athens. It was a seasonal train and called "Olympus" (D 411). During the rest of the year that train only went to Thessaloniki.

You were even right about Vienna! The regular train ended in Ljubljana but several coaches went on to Vienna (IC 159). However the Vienna coaches only went to Thessaloniki. So yes, you could travel from Vienna to Athens, but you had to change the coach inside the train at some point ;-)

So from what I know, only during the summer season you could ever travel to Athens in one train. I think the entire line to Greece was suspended in 2007. This is a great pity and it's mostly Greece's fault.
Thanks!!!! :) Great info!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts

You were even right about Vienna! The regular train ended in Ljubljana but several coaches went on to Vienna (IC 159). However the Vienna coaches only went to Thessaloniki.
EC 159 and most of its waggons go just from Vienna to Zagreb. Only once weekly in summer one direct waggon (and not the whole train) from Vienna continued beyond Zagreb to Thessaloniki.
So it was possible to go from Vienna to Athens with just changing waggons inside the train. However, the Vienna - Thessaloniki waggon never went via Ljubljana, as EC 159 doesn't pass Ljubljana. It was attached to the Olympus only at Zagreb.

Nachalnik

·
yeah, whatever
5,758 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, nachalnik. Anyways it was indeed possible to go from Vienna to Athens by train ;-)

It's a shame, Greece completely abandoned its international rail traffic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts