Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime Street and Leeds had their train station refurbishments and Sheffield is presently having their station refurbished and is to last until 2007. Nottingham has a station refurbishment in the approvals.

So what’s been happening?

Post photos if you will.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
They made an excellent job of the Leeds rennovation (well they should for £165mil), they're now planning even more improvements.
The initial rennoavation was new roof, new platforms, new facilities, more train capacity, reopened a huge shopping mall from olden days, new bus interchange at the front, new info screens, huge public TV etc etc
New improvements to be made are a new entrance (theres only an entrance on the North side of the tracks, yet there is huge development to the south).
However, the main hall was left virtually untouched and needs new roof and floor. Other than that all very impressive - hope they make as good a job everywhere else and start to get some decent public transport facilities in this country!

·
Registered
6,901 Posts

Leeds City Station - it had £165mil spent on it, and was completely reroofed.
There's 2 entrances on foot - one is below the tower that looks like an open book. A new one was reopened as part of the refurb, it is just next to the top-right copyright sign. There is a shopping mall from there to the main station. Also a new short stay car park is visible to the left of the station. A long stay multi story was also built. To the South of the station a new entrance is planned, due to the level of development taking place there.

·
Registered
30,580 Posts
It actually cost £245m and was totally rebuilt- not just re-roofed. New and more platforms, new rails, new footbridge, new escalators/lifts, new shopping quarter (Wellington Quarter) and the new multi storey. Not so long after Leeds Interchange was opened and new taxi ranks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Insignia said:
I know Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime Street and Leeds had their train station refurbishments and Sheffield is presently having their station refurbished and is to last until 2007. Nottingham has a station refurbishment in the approvals.

So what’s been happening?

Post photos if you will.
um.. the only refurbishment to train stations in liverpool was an update of the shopping mall at central station and the (urgently needed) repairs to the roof of lime street.. both are due an overhaul in the near future but havent actually happened as yet

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Preston Station is due for a refurbishment. Network Rail have stated that it is 'high' on their priority list so fingers crossed :)
Virgin gave it a real quick refurb a few years ago. Really bad.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
maggie said:
um.. the only refurbishment to train stations in liverpool was an update of the shopping mall at central station and the (urgently needed) repairs to the roof of lime street.. both are due an overhaul in the near future but havent actually happened as yet
And of course that horrible 60s tower/low rise stuff at the front is going too..

Just wish they'd get rid of that black thing inside and put something more in keeping with the Victorian design. Could just be me wanting that I suppose..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Stephen Robinson said:
And of course that horrible 60s tower/low rise stuff at the front is going too..

Just wish they'd get rid of that black thing inside and put something more in keeping with the Victorian design. Could just be me wanting that I suppose..
that definately needs to go.. but i think fairly modernish stuff looks great in the big glass roofed stations.. look how fantastic manchester piccadily has turned out... or for the more subtle approach something more like londons waterloo would bring the same effect.. id really love to see the tarmac platforms replaced with stone.. they really do make the station look more awful than anything else

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
They're relaying the track on the loop due to the train drailment a few months back. They should be open soon. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
has liverpool got an underground??? i though tit was just London are there any other cities in the UK with an underground?

·
Registered
30,580 Posts
Glasgow has an underground, a well established one- 3rd oldest in the world. Liverpool's underground doesn't really count its just normal rail that goes underground in the centre, a bit like the Metro that goes under Newcastle in the centre.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Liverpool's stations look cool...I wish I'd have got the chance to ride on the underground sections - I'm a bit of a train buff and I'd have been in heaven! It looks like Liverpool almost has an Underground.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Its does its just leeds no.1 likes to make other citys in England bar leeds look shite. Liverpool Underground also runs under the river mersey :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Glasgow has an underground, a well established one- 3rd oldest in the world. Liverpool's underground doesn't really count its just normal rail that goes underground in the centre, a bit like the Metro that goes under Newcastle in the centre.
"It's a bit like the Metro that goes under Newcastle in the centre"? Surely by your definition then Liverpool does have an underground (i.e. metro)? Converting heavy-rail lines in to Metros is a pretty common thing to do. Is the Metrolink just normal rail that happens to go onstreet in the centre of Manchester?? I think not.

The Liverpool 'underground' looks superb!

·
Gotta lite?
6,063 Posts
sarflonlad said:
"It's a bit like the Metro that goes under Newcastle in the centre"? Surely by your definition then Liverpool does have an underground (i.e. metro)? Converting heavy-rail lines in to Metros is a pretty common thing to do. Is the Metrolink just normal rail that happens to go onstreet in the centre of Manchester?? I think not.

The Liverpool 'underground' looks superb!
I think what Leeds No.1 was saying, is that it's like the "metro" in Newcastle, where the term "metro" is that name of the network, not it's designation. Many cities name their rail and even bus services with "metro" in the title, but they may not officially qualify as a metro which has basic standards on frequency, no level crossings, urban basis etc etc.

From my understanding (and this is limited, so don't quote me here), Liverpools network is more of a suburban rail system that passes underground, much like the RER in Paris, or S-bahn's in Germany. In fact, it would be something like a Crossrail.

It's great that Liverpool has this, and I hope they extend it in the future.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts