SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about a trains thread!

Anyone ever actually used trains to get anywhere other than suburban trips?

I went to Rockhampton once, it was OK.

Feel free to post train pics, suburban and country and any info.

QR Map

Qld tilt train

Electric Tilt Train

Spirit of the Outback - goes to Longreach

Westlander - goes to Charleville

Kuranda Scenic railway, Cairns to Kuranda

Tilt Train fares, $63 to Bundaburg, $201 to Cairns (from Brisbane)
http://www.traveltrain.com.au/traveltrain_services/Coastal_Services/tilt_train/schedules_fares.asp

Brisbane suburban trains

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There's something about the Milleniums that I just dont like - maybe its their sides being boring and plain.

·
Registered
211 Posts
MelbourneCity said:
There's something about the Milleniums that I just dont like - maybe its their sides being boring and plain.
Well if you ever come to sydney you'll be lucky to see one in actual operation! so you dont have to worry.

·
Registered
369 Posts
They run a fair bit now actually, I saw at least a dozen on tuesday.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I go to melbourne by train when i can't be pissed driving along the hume, and i've also caught a train to coffs harbour and i always catch trains in sydney lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
lol really.

Its cheaper catching the train then driving now. I'd be lucky to get to Melbourne on a tank and a half from melbourne in the magna.

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What sort of train does the Melbourne - Sydney run? And how long does it take, and how much does it cost?

The Brisbane - Sydney run is done by a NSW XPT, on NSW guage line, which I guess is fair enough as 95% of the journey is in NSW territory.

I don't know why QR and Citytrain in Brisbane don't use the existing train corridor that is in place for the Sydney line to add Qld gauge line and create a new suburban rail line. The costs would be minimal compared to starting a whole new line.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
What sort of train does the Melbourne - Sydney run? And how long does it take, and how much does it cost?

The Brisbane - Sydney run is done by a NSW XPT, on NSW guage line, which I guess is fair enough as 95% of the journey is in NSW territory.

I don't know why QR and Citytrain in Brisbane don't use the existing train corridor that is in place for the Sydney line to add Qld gauge line and create a new suburban rail line. The costs would be minimal compared to starting a whole new line.
MEL-SYD is done by an XPT as well.

The main problem with running narrow gauge tracks down the freight line is that the freight line isn't owned by QR (EDIT: I know QR control the line, but I'm pretty sure someone else owns it. Anyone know?). But I think it would be a smart move if the government put in two new narrow gauge tracks, keeping the standard gauge freight line completely separate, sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
MelbourneCity said:
they were meant to be painted blue between the windows, in line with how the standard sets were (partially) painted as part of the CityDecker program. But then they discovered the train wash lifted the paint, so they dropped it before any were delivered. Now it looks drab.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I have caught the Prospector from Perth to Kalgoorlie but that was back in the early 90s. I believe that have upgraded since then.

It was funny stopping at some station in the middle of nowhere (Souther Cross springs to mind), nothing around for miles and only one or two people would get off.

It was also a good 8 hour trip!

I have caught the Eurostar to Paris from london which was about 2 hours or something. And I have used tilt trains to get around UK and don't like them much. Made me feel so travel sick and I never get travel sick - then again I was hung over a bit that day. But even coming back was bad.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I quite like the Tangaras - though, these days they're starting to look dated, but old doesnt necessarily mean bad!

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
trentthomson said:
The main problem with running narrow gauge tracks down the freight line is that the freight line isn't owned by QR (EDIT: I know QR control the line, but I'm pretty sure someone else owns it. Anyone know?).
PN previously controlled it, however I'm fairly certain QRNational bought them out.

Rail to Browns Plains is completely feasible. Just need overhead wires and its good to go.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
nikko said:
Rail to Browns Plains is completely feasible. Just need overhead wires and its good to go.
And narrow gauge track, of course.

I believe the government should opt for nothing but two completely separate narrow gauge tracks alongside the existing standard gauge line, because some pretty long freight trains (they take 10+ mins to cross Beaudesert Rd) leave Brisbane for Sydney during our peak periods so that the trains depart/arrive Sydney at a time which is convenient for CityRail! Having long and slow freight trains on a line shared with passenger traffic could seriously affect the on-time running of the passenger trains. So have three tracks. 1 standard gauge track for freight, one up narrow gauge track and one down narrow gauge track with stations at Acacia Ridge, Algester (at the end of Nottingham Rd), Hillcrest (with a bus connection to Grand Plaza), Greenbank (there's already a station there) and Flagstone (a massive housing estate/golf resort that's going in just west of Jimboomba). By keeping the stations that far apart, you could have high running speeds (say, 130-140 km/h), making it just as, if not quicker than, driving to the city via the tollway or the Mt Lindesay Hwy.

Trent.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts