SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
but trams are not the sollution they will make the roads even smaller.
Making roads wider with more lanes for cars will only attract more traffic, its a no-win situation.

Trams are the solution. In some ways trams are even more useful than metro trains.
I think the 3 main advantages are as follows:

1. Being at ground level, tram stops are quickly accessible and you are immediately at ground level when stepping off the tram.
(no need for elevators, steps and/or escalators which the metro requires).
2. Trams and their stops can look great, give Tehran streets more character and are ecological.
3. More motorists will switch from driving to commuting by tram - cheaper and faster because tram-congestion is rare.

For the first 2 or 3 months trams could be free of charge (travel without ticket) to attract more passengers.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Trams in Tehran would be a good solution instead of some BRT lines which follow ordinary avenues (not highways). With a higher capacity then (articulated) buses but lower capacity then heavy metro they would have their ideal role as a surface mass distribution system.

No doubt that metro lines and urban railways must be the backbone of mobility in a megacity like Tehran.

As already mentioned by previous posters, car traffic in the urban must be reduced and not encouraged by new motorways because it kills the city's life. Tram instead is an environmental friendly transportation which encourages city center revival. Dozens of recent positive examples can be found worldwide, from NA to Europe, North Africa, Turkey, China and the Far East.

Trams would also be an ideal transportation solution for Iran's medium cities with up to 500.000 inhabitants. In order to achieve this goal without high dependence on foreign technology Iran should develop a domestic tram manufacturing industry to spread tram networks over the country's urban areas (like Turkey did already).

Making roads wider with more lanes for cars will only attract more traffic, its a no-win situation.

Trams are the solution. In some ways trams are even more useful than metro trains.
I think the 3 main advantages are as follows:

1. Being at ground level, tram stops are quickly accessible and you are immediately at ground level when stepping off the tram.
(no need for elevators, steps and/or escalators which the metro requires).
2. Trams and their stops can look great, give Tehran streets more character and are ecological.
3. More motorists will switch from driving to commuting by tram - cheaper and faster because tram-congestion is rare.

For the first 2 or 3 months trams could be free of charge (travel without ticket) to attract more passengers.

·
a tangy drink!
4,260 Posts
missed this news in September:
Tehran Municipality to set up LRT lines
-Tehran Municipality plans to establish Light Rail Transit (LRT) services in the teeming metropolis.

Tehran Mayor Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf announced this during a three-day visit to the Hungarian capital, Budapest. He arrived in Hungary on Wednesday to inaugurate Tehran-Budapest Sisterhood Commission.

Budapest Mayor István Tarlós visited the Iranian capital early May during which Tehran and Budapest were declared sister cities.

Qalibaf visited LRT lines in the Hungarian capital and was briefed on the latest developments in urban transportation in the city.

He said the expansion of urban rail system can help allay concerns about public transport in Tehran.

"Global studies show that the urban rail systems, particularly LRT, can facilitate transportation and help protect the environment since they use clean energy," he said.

Light Rail Transit (LRT) carries passengers in modern, electricity-powered vehicles operated by drivers. LRT enables passengers with wheelchairs, strollers or shopping cars to easily get on. It operates in its own lane, which is usually in the center of the street and separated from car traffic except at intersections.

Qalibaf said LRT can be used in areas in downtown Tehran, which are among tourist attractions.

He hoped that the first LRT line will become operational in the Iranian capital by March 2017 once necessary funds are secured.

The top municipal official said Tehran Municipality will share the experiences of Hungary's urban transportation department to establish LRT lines.
http://www.iran-daily.com/News/127218.html?catid=1023&title=Tehran-Municipality-to-set-up-LRT-lines

Budapest has the longest tram vehicles in the world at 56 meters for a single uncoupled tram.

·
Registered
118 Posts
^^ Definitely not vali asr street, the tram cables in the air will ruin the nice and unique feel the street has with the chenar trees on both sides...

·
a tangy drink!
4,260 Posts
I don't mind tram cables their not very intrusive. I associate them with developed cities with proper infrastructure

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
i do agree with you in a way
I dont like the Brt lines either

i think a tram would be better than brt but in general if they can maybe run a parallel line on on its side it would be better

i think valiasr should return to the normal two way street and have heavy metro usage underneath it

for trams, i might even say africa blvd is better and is more central, and then they can link it to tajrish and then also run a line in shariati

i think a strong tram system is desperately needed for the central areas which will hopefully be pedestrianized more and also in the northern areas (less cars in the dense north+ more trams and pedestrian areas)

also, enghelab avenue certainly needs a tram

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
French media said their minsiter of economy is currently in Iran to push for progress in the banking sector between both country. This for helping the numerous projects of french companies in Iran (Alstom), one of them being the tramway of Tehran

61 - 77 of 77 Posts