SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across the below.

I'm not against this per se, but doesn't it perhaps miss the issue that actually needs troubleshooting here, which is that the majority of traffic on the A650 is Leeds-bound rather than Bradford-bound?

And perhaps more importantly, it doesn't actually solve the centre of the problem which is Shipley. If anything, widening the roads around Shipley is going to make the town even worse than it already is.

I know it would never get funding, but what is really needed here is a tunnel under Shipley to take all the through traffic out of the town (appreciating there's no real space for a bypass), but considering that that is almost a non-starter, surely increasing train frequencies to 4tph on the Airedale and Leeds-Bradford lines could attract even more people out of their cars?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46774424

A £47m plan to upgrade roads between Bradford and Shipley is "absolutely vital", a councillor has said.

The proposals include widening a number of roads, as well as improving cycling, pedestrian and public transport routes on Manningham Lane and Canal Road.

Views are being sought on the scheme by Bradford Council and West Yorkshire Combined Authority.

Shipley councillor Kevin Warnes said the public consultation was "crucial" for the improvements to go ahead.

The A650 Manningham Lane and A6037 Canal Road are the two main "corridors" between Bradford and Shipley.

Under the plans, Valley Road, Canal Road and Otley Road will be widened and a separate "high quality" bus and cycle lane is intended to be created on Manningham Lane.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
There are separate plans for a Shipley bypass but they are not as advanced as these plans.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Good to see the improvement of the A650 corridor between Bradford and Shipley although Shipley and Saltaire will likely become more of a bottleneck. As a thought couldn't a one way system along the A650 Bradford Road / Bingley Road, A657 Saltaire Road and A6038 Otley Road triangle be devised to increase the capacity of roads in that area especially as a bypass / tunnel will most likely be so highly expensive and likely controversial.

Also what happened to proposals for the Shipley Eastern Bypass and re-opening Manningham station would certainly be useful.

·
Registered
29,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that re-opening Manningham station should be on the agenda.

I also agree that I don't think road upgrades are the way forward. The solution to so much of West Yorkshire's transport problems is clearly in a metro network, but even if it did have to be road investment, at least make it significant enough to actually make a difference - such as a new motorway-standard bypass for Bradford/Leeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts