SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
emm i think you should chage the title a bit cause you mean north england, but this forum part is about the whole of the uk, unless you mean north as in scotland too, then i got questions.

·
Registered
30,479 Posts
Or equally perhaps the Conservatives should get their act together and rename their consultation (if you can call it that). It's part of a wider problem where 'The North' is separate from the rest of England.

Don't have much hope for the Conservatives considering they're against any further devolution (and they didn't want it in the first place), against further European integration and have show massive reservations over further electrification. My local Conservatives are completely against the Leeds City Region project and don't want a City Region ITA. Look at Boris Johnson too who is not just cancelling loads of stuff Ken had proposed, but actually taking steps backwards. Removing the western extension of the congestion charge and replacing bendy buses....

They're a load of idiots who are more hung up on keeping history/culture than creating an efficient country.

·
The Legend
13,340 Posts
How come the whole of the North are getting an additional amount of trains to beat overcrowding, a total amount to over 100 trains, but the North East are only getting a grand total of 1?, yes you have heard me right, 1, it doesn't stop their though, this train was build in the mid 80's and really outdated and not really good enough at all.

Transport really is poor in the north, infact their is no motorway into Newcastle, and no motorway leading on the east side up into Scotland. Most of the A1 is dual carrigeway, hardly any amount of road side service stations. The ECML is overcrowded, HSR is a long way off and not garunteed to ever come far north.
The network in general is poor, bus services are shoddy and I wouldn't anyone to go on a ride on one. The only good thing is about public transport in the North is Manchester's Metrolink, and Newcastle's Metro, which really needs an axtension into the west end of the city, and despite eing the UK's best performing railway/network is up for grabs for franchise to secure funding which is urgently needed.

All in all the north gets a bad deal.

G

·
It doesnt give you much hope when one of the Tories 'think tanks' call for northern cities to be abandoned...
That's because the Tories are bigoted arrogant twats who see the rest of the UK as a nuisance to be dealt with. They never change, they just update their PR machine. If the Tories regain power I'll keep my fingers crossed for a civil uprising to chuck them straight back out.

Either that or London becomes a city state and the rest of us can be left in peace. We may not enjoy any great prosperity but I'll guarantee you we'll be a lot happier then those in London.

No offence meant to our London forumers but I'd imagine you'd be happier with a Tory Government then the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
No offence meant to our London forumers but I'd imagine you'd be happier with a Tory Government then the rest of us.
Ouch! I wouldn't, I'm dreading it. I'm going to see cuts to all my cherished projects and just about everything else. Plus the rich, who I have to suffer every day, will be lucked out with tax cuts. The city proper is largely left of centre. The outer fringe, those anoying aspirational rich (i.e. they ain't, won't be, but support things that help the people they wont be) and the stockbroker belt are in the ones you want to vent your anger at. The Tories don't give a toss about most of London. I see Tory support as more non-urban, both North and South.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
Yeh its a complete urban-rural and rich-poor divide, but also a North-South thing. Rich Tory supporters in North Yorkshire do not have any kind of Yorkshire accent.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
I can't wait for the Tories to win, I've spoken with my future Tory MP in Blackpool and he will piss all over the current Labour MP and he has some great plans for transport in the town.

One of the first things they will do is scrap the ID scheme, tell me all you Labour voters love that don't you?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
But passport data will effectively be the ID card database, so there's not much difference.

OK, off thread, I know.

More constructively, out of recession ought to come long-term infrastructure investment, with a pay-back over decades. It just needs politicians to see that.

·
Registered
30,479 Posts
Yeh its a complete urban-rural and rich-poor divide, but also a North-South thing. Rich Tory supporters in North Yorkshire do not have any kind of Yorkshire accent.
North Yorkshire as a whole doesn't really have a typical Yorkshire accent. Most people speak closer to RP than 'Yorkshire'.

As for the Conservatives, perhaps they have plans in Blackpool, but in this area they want to take apart the City Region, stop the progression of the City Region ITA and make North Yorkshire unitary. We need closer integration within economic areas in each city region, not more segregation and strengthening of administrative borders.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
North Yorkshire as a whole doesn't really have a typical Yorkshire accent. Most people speak closer to RP than 'Yorkshire'.

As for the Conservatives, perhaps they have plans in Blackpool, but in this area they want to take apart the City Region, stop the progression of the City Region ITA and make North Yorkshire unitary. We need closer integration within economic areas in each city region, not more segregation and strengthening of administrative borders.
It seems to me that the Tories have no national consistent policy and it's regional policies depend on which Tories you have. In Nottingham they seem anti tram, in Birmingham their talk of an underground pretty much killed of a Metroline extension but in Blackpool they do have more tram and train friendly plans.

I won't say too much but here is a link to my future MP's blog:

http://paulmaynard.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/open-access/

From speaking with him, he is what I would call a man with a plan.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What's the point? With the Tories you know public transport funding in "Not London" is going to be non-existent. Will be the same with Labour, as it has been for 12 years.

·
Registered
30,479 Posts
What's the point? With the Tories you know public transport funding in "Not London" is going to be non-existent. Will be the same with Labour, as it has been for 12 years.
Well to be fair, London isn't doing well anymore with transport now Boris Johnson is screwing everything up.

Every city region needs a Ken to sort their problems out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can't wait for the Tories to win, I've spoken with my future Tory MP in Blackpool and he will piss all over the current Labour MP and he has some great plans for transport in the town.
I wish it were as simple as that, but the truth is that the Tories will be run by Dave and his Eton chums. He's chosen a certain Theresa Villiers to be his transport secretary although she knows bugger all about transport policy and has never used public transport outside of London in her life. Under her the Tories will continue what they started on the railways, i.e siphoning off taxpayers cash into private companies pockets. Only the Lib Dems can offer a serious alternative to the current two party state.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

One of the first things they will do is scrap the ID scheme, tell me all you Labour voters love that don't you?
Local MP's say a lot, but have precious little impact on National policy. I'm confident you wont see a single one of those plans come to fruitiion.

wrt ID cards the main benefit is in administration and bureaucracy savings. Not doing it costs the country lots of money in duplication of effort, mismatching data, fraud etc. etc. etc. Why would any Government push something that costs money and is deeply unpopular? Cancelling it is the easiest thing in the world and very popular. But it will cost the country billions year on year if we don't have one. It's a choice and it shouldn't be financial. However the financial impact is;
1.get a card, save lots of money long term
2.don't have a card, spend much more money long term, lose money though fraud.

So in a way, vote for cancelling ID cards and you are voting for higher tax or less money to spend on things such as transport.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Local MP's say a lot, but have precious little impact on National policy. I'm confident you wont see a single one of those plans come to fruitiion.
I agree, but what Paul Maynard is switched on to is that our solution needs to come from within Blackpool and our private sector and not just keep waiting for hand outs from the state, which is why I'm confident we can pull of what we want to achieve with Open Access.

G

·

I don't vote Labour and I know you're not narrow enough to think someone who hate the Tories automatically must vote Labour so I'll presume that bit was aimed at others.

You've never struck me as someone daft enough to fall for politicians pre-election lies and spin either. They'll say all sorts to get someones vote but then they get into power and either through going back on their own word or the harsh realities (opposition, lack of funds, etc) these things don't happen.

·
Registered
30,479 Posts
I think the next election is the time for people to acknowledge that the Lib Dems are the only alternative. If LD don't get in (which they probably won't), then it will only further entrench our two party system. This is bad for democracy because it enables the Conservatives to pretty much propose anything and know they will get in at the next election. Similarly, when the Conservatives go down, Labour will know they will win regardless of what their policies are.

Even if LD became the 2nd party, it would shake this up and hopefully bring some real policies back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts