SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-50957470

Private cars are to be banned from York's medieval city centre by 2023, under plans approved by councillors.

The City of York Council wants an end to "non-essential" car journeys within the city walls.

The authority, which is run by the Liberal Democrats and the Greens, wants to make the city carbon neutral by 2030
After the Lendal Bridge debacle, and the general approach to supporting car-use in York with the expansion of Monks Cross/rejection of Coppergate expansion, I'm sceptical this will be implemented in full. Then again, attitudes are changing...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
695 Posts
It wont solve York's real motoring problems. A1237 between A59 and Strensall is total carnage for about 8 hrs a day. A failure of past investment that is still not fixed.

Huge queues towards town down Fishergate and Fulford Road every day. Goodramgate and Bootham are outside the walls so it will not solve the problems at this junction causing traffic to back up all the way down Wigginton Rd past the Hospital. It wont solve teh queue of cars on Hull Road either. It wont prevent a short stretch of the A19 being flood prone at the bend near Germany Beck.

It will make traffic at the station slightly worse as there is no option for car users to drive down Rougier Street and are forced to go up to Blossom Street or Leeman Rd. Good luck right turners out of the station drop off area. Take some water and snacks it'll be long one.

Im looking forward to the day when all the toffs are dropping their kids off for the Minster School out on Lord Mayors Walk which will make traffic congestion outside the walls even worse in a morning.

Really an own goal. Plus all the locals already have the hassle of having to pay to park outside their own property, if they can park at all. This does not empower local residents, it could actually make their lives worse.

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's a classic case of banning cars with no alternative in place. A city the size of York, if in most developed countries, would have light rail - nevermind Leeds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
And it'll drive (no pun intended) some people to those desolate, miserable out of town retail parks. I dunno, it's tough: I love walking round York and most of the best bit of the town is already pedestrianised... I've no idea what it's like for the poor bastards who need to commute into or through the city centre.

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if the Park & Ride service became free, it'd be an acceptable alternative - if not exactly the ideal.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
And it'll drive (no pun intended) some people to those desolate, miserable out of town retail parks. I dunno, it's tough: I love walking round York and most of the best bit of the town is already pedestrianised... I've no idea what it's like for the poor bastards who need to commute into or through the city centre.
Parking is already that expensive in the middle of York it is better to get the train in from Leeds. Also a shame that so much development has been on the outskirts as opposed to the centre of York considering York could have rivaled Leeds imo. As for York transport certainly the likes of the A1237 York Outer Ring Road and A64 between York and Scarborough should be dualled plus York could do with suburban railway stations and perhaps ideally a tram system.

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure most day-trippers to York are not coming from cities with stations like Leeds, but from the vast rural areas around eastern Yorkshire, which save for a handful of places, have almost no public transport provision to York.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The another problem this will cause is the reduction in routes over the river. Removing Lendl and Ousegate only leaves. Water Ln, Skeldergate, A64 and A1237. Two of which are the ring road and the A1237 is ridiculous. It'll make pollution worse in my opinion especially for residents in Poppleton and Earswick.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think this morning was a perfect example of why York doesn't need private cars banned inside the town walls and how vulnerable York's roads really are to surges in traffic load.

Crash on the A64 Westbound between A19 and Taddy Rd at 5am where somebody sadly lost their life. Westbound closed until after lunch. Eastbound reopened about 10.30am. Every A and B road in York plus some minor residential roads were completely gridlocked until around 11.30am and traffic returned to normal at about 1pm. Tailbacks through Crockey Hill, Bishopthorpe, Askham Bryan, Rufforth, Elvington and Shipton by Beningborough on all approaches. It was utter mayhem.

If motorists were to lose the option of getting over the river at Lendal, Ousegate and Skeldergate the town would be in ruin and full of smog in every street for miles ALL DAY. Lets not do this.

To put todays problem in perspective with a car ban would mean that the only routes across the river, given that Water Ln and the A1237 would be no go zones. Linton-on-Ouse and Cawood are your nearest alternatives. This would add at least 18 miles to everybody's journey.

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not against the car ban per se but it clearly needs to be part of a much more ambitious strategy.

York is an extremely car-centric city, with only really its P&R offering some form of decent-ish public transport. Perhaps the P&R can be upgraded even more with higher frequencies, and importantly, made free; which Harrogate's Transdev has proven possible with sponsorship. Surely there's enough companies in York willing to sponsor the buses to enable its bus network to become free to use?

·
Registered
695 Posts
York to me is another city begging for a light rail system. Poppleton Rd, Hull Rd, Skelton A19 and Fulford A19 are all more than capable of catering for a tram. Routes out to Clifton Moor/Wigginton and the designer outlet and the respective P+R locations. The place is so flat its perfect for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts