Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1005 Posts

·
whenthefirestartstoburn
3,384 Posts
mciaa got featured on forbes :cheers:

Mactan-Cebu International Airport Offers Travelers Philippine Beauty
by Michael Alpiner | October 31, 2018

The new terminal at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport in the Philippines is a study in functionality, customer service and aesthetic grandeur. Upon the heels of its recent renovation, the airport has augmented to a place not only for landing and departing, but as a destination unto itself.

The original runway was built in 1956 by the United States Air Force as an emergency strategic air command for bombers, and remained a hub for military purposes until the mid-1960s when the civilian airport was opened. Terminal one, which serves as the airport’s domestic terminal was built in 1990, and by the end of 2017, served over 10 million passengers. Terminal two, which opened on July 1, 2018, and handles all international flights, has increased the airport’s capacity nearly threefold.

The airport, tagged “the world’s friendliest airport,” Mactan-Cebu International is located in Lapu-Lapu City on Mactan Island, in Central Philippines, equidistant from Laguna to the north and Davao to the south. Before heading out to indulge in all the Philippines has to offer, travelers would be remiss not to explore the new terminal as an appetizer to their tropical journey.

The overall construction of Terminal Two is quite impressive. Matching the waning and ebbing of the Pacific waters that surround the region, undulating timbers reach upwards from the mother-of-pearl speckled floor tiles all the way to the blue skies of the Philippines. Artificial palm trees (because they want to keep insects outside the airport) and undulating waves of wood surround the traveler, as do other wood accent seating options, additional flora and large, brightly colored posters showing tropical joy emblazoned with the words, “About to Amaze.”

Read more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelalpiner/2018/10/31/mactan-cebu-international-airport-offers-travelers-philippine-beauty/#1d857617f491

·
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EDITORIAL
Hard lessons from Boracay mess
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:08 AM November 06, 2018

Six months after Boracay Island was closed for rehabilitation, the National Bureau of Investigation on Tuesday filed before the Ombudsman graft and malversation charges against several local officials in Malay, Aklan, for misusing funds from environmental fees collected from tourists from 2009 to 2017.

That first step to official accountability is long overdue, given the neglect and ill-treatment that had been inflicted on the island.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I dont have any link, I just translated it from chinese, I pick it up from a Wechat users group ( chinese members)

The Philippines is safe in the end.

When it comes to the Philippines, there are some prejudices among the Chinese people. Because of these prejudices, the Philippines has not become a tourist attraction like Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. Most of these prejudices focus on the insecurity of the Philippines, or worry about the Philippines' exclusion. So what is the truth?

Let us first say that the Philippines is safe?

In fact, the main reason for this problem is that the people who have come to the Philippines in person are less than Malaysia. Lack of understanding of the Philippines. The local news in the Philippines is more focused on big events and negative news. After the domestic media reprinted and reported the news, it made a bad impression on everyone.

Let's take a look at big data, and the facts need a data foundation. Numbeo is a website dedicated to professionally studying the quality of life index of the world, and is also the largest online database of life data submitted by users worldwide. In the map of the world crime index drawn by Numbeo, the Philippines is pale green, and the color of China is exactly the same. (Green is safe, dark red is the least secure)

From the data, the Philippines and China are also very close. Let's take a look at the safety index of the countries that are familiar to you.

The most insecure country in the world is South Sudan, with a safety index of only 14.68. What is the Philippines? The Philippines' safety index is 56.89. Just look at this number and maybe everyone can't feel anything. Look at the countries you are familiar with.

China’s safety index is 58.25, which is slightly safer than the Philippines. Australia and the United Kingdom are 58. The United States is 49.99, France is 50.29, and Malaysia is 30.03.

So overall the security situation in the Philippines is close to China, Australia, and the UK. It is much safer than the United States. It is much safer than Malaysia.

Another problem is that many people feel that the Philippine capital of Manila is not safe. In fact, many people confuse a concept. The capital of the Philippines is Metro Manila, which is made up of 17 satellite cities, including one in Manila. So the cities of Metro Manila and Manila are two different concepts. In the city of Manila, because the old city is there, plus the Chinese city, etc., the security is relatively lower in the Greater Manila. But most Chinese who come to Manila, whether they are working or investing in business, are actually concentrated in several CBDs. For example, in Makati City, the safety index is 58.42. So it is still very safe.

The above data is in fact consistent with my own personal experience. I have lived in the Philippines for more than ten years, and I have encountered a steal on the bus. That's it. Relatively speaking, whether it is going to Malaysia or Thailand, it is obvious that the law and order is not as good as the Philippines. Just because everyone is speaking about the Chinese language in Malaysia, it feels safer there. (It’s just talking on the data, it doesn’t mean which country is not good)

Next, let's talk about whether the Philippines is Chinese?

In fact, the person in charge can say that the Philippines is the least Chinese country among Asian countries. Although there are some frictions between China and the Philippines on the South China Sea issue, it is a political issue. This friction did not affect the daily life of Filipinos. If you come to the Philippines, then you will fall in love with the people here. Warm, friendly and simple. This feeling of being respected, the feeling of inner heart is something you will not have in other countries.

Everyday little things, If your car catch fire, someone will come and help you with, The heavy flooded car was stuck in the puddle, and there will be a lot of enthusiasts to help you out. I even experienced a friend's shoes broken on the road, the enthusiastic Filipinos took it to help repair and then sent back. The folk customs here are such simple. So don't worry about what is Chinese. The Chinese created the majority of the Philippine economy, so it was one of the most respected groups.

So the Philippines is a very beautiful and safe country. When you come and walk in person, take a look and you will fall in love with it.

·
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have any link, I just translated it from chinese, I pick it up from a Wechat users group ( chinese members)

The Philippines is safe in the end.

When it comes to the Philippines, there are some prejudices among the Chinese people. Because of these prejudices, the Philippines has not become a tourist attraction like Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. Most of these prejudices focus on the insecurity of the Philippines, or worry about the Philippines' exclusion. So what is the truth?

Let us first say that the Philippines is safe?

In fact, the main reason for this problem is that the people who have come to the Philippines in person are less than Malaysia. Lack of understanding of the Philippines. The local news in the Philippines is more focused on big events and negative news. After the domestic media reprinted and reported the news, it made a bad impression on everyone.

Let's take a look at big data, and the facts need a data foundation. Numbeo is a website dedicated to professionally studying the quality of life index of the world, and is also the largest online database of life data submitted by users worldwide. In the map of the world crime index drawn by Numbeo, the Philippines is pale green, and the color of China is exactly the same. (Green is safe, dark red is the least secure)

From the data, the Philippines and China are also very close. Let's take a look at the safety index of the countries that are familiar to you.

The most insecure country in the world is South Sudan, with a safety index of only 14.68. What is the Philippines? The Philippines' safety index is 56.89. Just look at this number and maybe everyone can't feel anything. Look at the countries you are familiar with.

China’s safety index is 58.25, which is slightly safer than the Philippines. Australia and the United Kingdom are 58. The United States is 49.99, France is 50.29, and Malaysia is 30.03.

So overall the security situation in the Philippines is close to China, Australia, and the UK. It is much safer than the United States. It is much safer than Malaysia.

Another problem is that many people feel that the Philippine capital of Manila is not safe. In fact, many people confuse a concept. The capital of the Philippines is Metro Manila, which is made up of 17 satellite cities, including one in Manila. So the cities of Metro Manila and Manila are two different concepts. In the city of Manila, because the old city is there, plus the Chinese city, etc., the security is relatively lower in the Greater Manila. But most Chinese who come to Manila, whether they are working or investing in business, are actually concentrated in several CBDs. For example, in Makati City, the safety index is 58.42. So it is still very safe.

The above data is in fact consistent with my own personal experience. I have lived in the Philippines for more than ten years, and I have encountered a steal on the bus. That's it. Relatively speaking, whether it is going to Malaysia or Thailand, it is obvious that the law and order is not as good as the Philippines. Just because everyone is speaking about the Chinese language in Malaysia, it feels safer there. (It’s just talking on the data, it doesn’t mean which country is not good)

Next, let's talk about whether the Philippines is Chinese?

In fact, the person in charge can say that the Philippines is the least Chinese country among Asian countries. Although there are some frictions between China and the Philippines on the South China Sea issue, it is a political issue. This friction did not affect the daily life of Filipinos. If you come to the Philippines, then you will fall in love with the people here. Warm, friendly and simple. This feeling of being respected, the feeling of inner heart is something you will not have in other countries.

Everyday little things, If your car catch fire, someone will come and help you with, The heavy flooded car was stuck in the puddle, and there will be a lot of enthusiasts to help you out. I even experienced a friend's shoes broken on the road, the enthusiastic Filipinos took it to help repair and then sent back. The folk customs here are such simple. So don't worry about what is Chinese. The Chinese created the majority of the Philippine economy, so it was one of the most respected groups.

So the Philippines is a very beautiful and safe country. When you come and walk in person, take a look and you will fall in love with it.
It is also that Chinese-Filipinos are among the least diverse and most "westernized" of South East Asian Chinese!

The majority of Chinese-Filipinos are Hokkien though alot of Mainland Chinese are coming in and working here!

Unlike in other parts of South East Asia where there is wide diversity!

But first, I'll exclude Mandarin here as it acts as a unified language.

Philippines - Hokkien, Cantonese

Thailand - Cantonese, Hainanese, Teochew, Hakka, Hokkien

Vietnam - Cantonese, Teochew, Hakka, Hokkien, Hainanese

Indonesia - Hokkien, Teochew

Malaysia - Hokkien, Cantonese, Taishanese, Foochow, Hakka, Hainanese, Teochew

Singapore - Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew, Hainanese

I visited Bangkok a few years back and even watched a Traditional Chinese Opera in Pratunam!

Did not even see any of that even in Binondo.

·
Couch Weight
2,838 Posts
It is also that Chinese-Filipinos are among the least diverse and most "westernized" of South East Asian Chinese!
And perhaps the most integrated? I reckon a majority of Chinese-Filipinos speak a Philippine language as their primary language, and most are Catholics. No wonder Chinese-Filipinos are virtually strangers to the mainlanders.

·
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And perhaps the most integrated? I reckon a majority of Chinese-Filipinos speak a Philippine language as their primary language, and most are Catholics. No wonder Chinese-Filipinos are virtually strangers to the mainlanders.
Actually, Thailand is arguably the most integrated! And also has the largest population of Overseas Chinese.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can you cite some tourist spots natin na maraming nagpupuntang Koreans at Chinese?

Napansin ko lang sa ibang bansa like Japan na sobrang dami ng Chinese at Korean tourists sa mga tourist spots na halos mapagkakamalan mo na sinakop na nila yung area samantalang dito sa Pinas, madalas na nakikita ko mga westerners sa mga beaches kahit sa mga historical sites natin.

DOT's 2017 stats show that Central Visayas is one of the favorites of Asian tourists...

·
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you cite some tourist spots natin na maraming nagpupuntang Koreans at Chinese?

Napansin ko lang sa ibang bansa like Japan na sobrang dami ng Chinese at Korean tourists sa mga tourist spots na halos mapagkakamalan mo na sinakop na nila yung area samantalang dito sa Pinas, madalas na nakikita ko mga westerners sa mga beaches kahit sa mga historical sites natin.
Saan beach ka pumupunta?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Intramuros needs a shutdown!

I was helping a Russian tourist guide do a practice tour of Intramuros today and I was extremely disappointed with the following:

- Employees of Fort Santiago putting up illegal stalls and selling "mineral water" inside the fort.
- Unqualified tricycle drivers with questionable hygiene moonlighting as tour guides.
- Hobos and "taong grasas" proliferating all over Intramuros, and one of them even got naked in front of tourists.

If Intramuros is supposedly the best tourist spot in the Metro then are we really that unorganized and dirty as a society?

What image do we want to project to those who visit us?

·
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was helping a Russian tourist guide do a practice tour of Intramuros today and I was extremely disappointed with the following:

- Employees of Fort Santiago putting up illegal stalls and selling "mineral water" inside the fort.
- Unqualified tricycle drivers with questionable hygiene moonlighting as tour guides.
- Hobos and "taong grasas" proliferating all over Intramuros, and one of them even got naked in front of tourists.

If Intramuros is supposedly the best tourist spot in the Metro then are we really that unorganized and dirty as a society?

What image do we want to project to those who visit us?
That should be addressed to The City of Manila especially to Mayor Erap!

Plus elections is coming up next year!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
EDITORIAL
Hard lessons from Boracay mess
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:08 AM November 06, 2018

Six months after Boracay Island was closed for rehabilitation, the National Bureau of Investigation on Tuesday filed before the Ombudsman graft and malversation charges against several local officials in Malay, Aklan, for misusing funds from environmental fees collected from tourists from 2009 to 2017.

That first step to official accountability is long overdue, given the neglect and ill-treatment that had been inflicted on the island.
They should also go back to the lgus who indiscriminately allowed builders etc to build without permits, in protected zones, and non compliant with construction/building codes etc. The helter skelter development in Boracay started earlier around early 2000.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Good to see Christian Leblanc back in the Philippines and came out with a good video about the new Boracay. Buti pa mga banyaga, na appreciate nila. Notice the comments are from foreigners who are now planning to visit Boracay after watching Leblanc's video. Kudos Christian.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Good to see Christian Leblanc back in the Philippines and came out with a good video about the new Boracay. Buti pa mga banyaga, na appreciate nila. Notice the comments are from foreigners who are now planning to visit Boracay after watching Leblanc's video. Kudos Christian.
He is a one man philippines dept of tourism. He has almost 1 m subscribers already, with a few million viewers. He does not hold back his own "comments" but "nasa lugar." DOTr should give him a medal. Oh, btw., he is Canadian (francophone at that).

1 - 20 of 1005 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.