SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
981 - 1000 of 1005 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Expensive accommodations aren’t really good for tourism. I’ve heard many stories of people opting for other Asian countries because their accommodations are substantially cheaper despite being of better quality :eek:hno:
I have no idea why this is the case, that accommodations are more expensive and yet inferior in quality than even more advanced economies with higher incomes.
Agree. I have been around ASEAN and the Philippines really stands out on the "expensive hotels and food" relative to ASEAN countries. This has been happening the past 2 (or 3?) decades. I think the build up of several 1 to 2 star hotels and hostels and also the 4 and 5 star hotels this past several years will address this "pricing" issue and hopefully we will gradually experience more competitive rates in the next 5 years. Also, when the benefits of the current infrastructure build up (BBB) will be felt, hopefully, it will also help reduce mobility cost. Again, in the meantime, tiis tiis muna, just like the airport situation. We will get there eventually.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Salamat naman at hindi patayan, poverty and political propaganda ang na feature.
I watched the whole video before posting and it is clean of political agenda. The Spanish nun did mention that many have died from the war on drugs (we Filipinos already know that), so her group is getting the teenagers off the streets (those teenagers dancing "singkil" in the video).

The last couple in the video said they wanted to stay in the Philippines but have no choice but to go back to Spain once they have kids for schooling (we Filipinos know where we stand in PISA ranking). My assessment is they like living here, they can settle here, but child education is a concern. An issue that DepEd is addressing. (Is PH education sector open to foreign institutions? Because in ASEAN thread, there are pictures of foreign universities opening in Malaysia).

Generally, it was an honest presentation of the Philippines. Nothing exagerrated (e.g. OMG. Shocked. Is this Manila or New York ?!?), patronizing nor maligning.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I hope we built more Backpackers hotels to attract younger tourists. When I observe the demographics of our Western tourists, majority is above 30s, those in the height of their careers (but Koreans are much younger, even teenagers).

In this video below, at 15:40 we have 6 young single ladies vacationing in Palawan. These are the Instagram generation that can effectively promote PH to their social media friends :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9MsjGb8ZE

PS: Only 4 talked to the camera, but they said they were 6.
Yung Backpackers hostel di ganun kapatok dito dahil na rin sa security issues.

Meron akong naencounter na Backpackers hostel sa Bangkok na minamanage ng Pinoy. Maraming stay-in na Pinoy doon kaso problema nagkakanakawan kaya ang sama ng review sa kanina sa Agoda kahit ako 1 night lang ako nagstay dahil din talaga maganda yung aura sa loob kaya lang ako tumuloy dahil napakamura pero mapapamura ka pag andun na.

Usually Backpackers hotel kinukuha ko para tipid. Iba pa rin talaga yung nasa Hongkon, Taiwan, SK, at Japan na safe talaga sa loob ng hostel kahit walang guard..

Kung sa Pinas, di mo po mapapatuloy sa backpackers hostel. Kukuha pa rin ako ng private room.

·
Hyugo Korol'
32,384 Posts
wow naka 8 million foreign visitors na pala tayo ngayong 2019

at maswerte itong Japanese na ito

LOOK: Philippines' eight-millionth foreign visitor, Yachiyo Imamoto, arrived today in Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal III from Japan. | via Louisa Erispe
PTV

·
Registered
208 Posts
wow naka 8 million foreign visitors na pala tayo ngayong 2019

at maswerte itong Japanese na ito

PTV

Isn’t this a bit late? I mean, the target for this year is 8.2M. If we’re only at 8M today, that means we failed to reach our target. We also didn’t reach our target last year by a lot.

·
Hyugo Korol'
32,384 Posts
Isn’t this a bit late? I mean, the target for this year is 8.2M. If we’re only at 8M today, that means we failed to reach our target. We also didn’t reach our target last year by a lot.
kakapost lang ng PTV eh... anyway 8.05 or 8.1 million is not that bad for the end of 2019

·
Registered
53 Posts
nuong nakaraang taon ay 7.1 million ang tourist arrival dito sa atin tas nag improve pa lalo ngayong taon anyway WELCOME TO WARZONE! according to maria ressa

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
nuong nakaraang taon ay 7.1 million ang tourist arrival dito sa atin tas nag improve pa lalo ngayong taon anyway WELCOME TO WARZONE! according to maria ressa
Sana nakasama sa ampatuan massacre yang Indonesian na yan. Masyadong panira sa bansa.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kelan naging 8 million po yan? Bka last week pa yan? Sayang ung 8.1 million na target. Hnd nakuha, buti pa ang vietnam, subrang laki ng tinaas sa tourism nila

·
Registered
20,858 Posts
8M foreign arrivals are all non-Filipinos aka no balikbayans / half-Pinoy pride blood? These are all 100% foreign nationals?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kelan naging 8 million po yan? Bka last week pa yan? Sayang ung 8.1 million na target. Hnd nakuha, buti pa ang vietnam, subrang laki ng tinaas sa tourism nila
ok lang yan ganyan din naman ang vietnam dati maaachieve din natin yan kaso di ako suportado sa overtourism na katulad sa thailand yung ibang lugar doon puro na basura

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
8M foreign arrivals are all non-Filipinos aka no balikbayans / half-Pinoy pride blood? These are all 100% foreign nationals?
I am not sure about this. Do dual citizens who enter the Philippines present both their Philippine passport and foreign-country passport (ex. US)? Does the DOT/ Immigration add that to the tourism number?

For half-pinoy, born and raised abroad who enter PH using their home country passport, then that is considered tourist also.

I will say, maybe 1 million of that 8 million tourists are of Filipino/ part-Filipino ethnicity, then still not bad, right? Compared to say, 3 million tourists several years ago? How many of those 3 million tourists are Filipino/ part-Filipino? The increase of our tourism numbers does not necessarily mean increase in Philippine visits by former Filipino/ dual citizen Filipino/ part Filipino. Just a thought.

Other countries like Vietnam have their own diaspora who visit their home country also. I do not know how Malaysia computes Singaporean visits to Johor Bahru who comes in the morning and exits in the afternoon and vice versa. Its a car ride/bus ride away (siguro mas malayo pa Manila-Tagaytay, Manila-Clark). Also, how does Singapore compute Indonesian visits from Batam to Singapore who visit, say weekly or more than once a week. And vice versa. Its a ferry ride away (think Cebu-Bohol, Bacolod-Iloilo ferry).

The country is benefitting from the 8 million (and increasing) visits. How many hotels (big name hotel chains) are currently under construction left and right that will be operational in 2 to 3 years. Plenty. Hope to see Ritz Carlton, St Regis come to the PH.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm sure it's all about the passport the traveller used.

If the dual-citizen used his/her PH passport, then he/she is counted as a balikbayan. Otherwise, counted as a foreigner.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If we’re talking about the visitor arrivals to the Philippines. Yes, it’s all about the country of the passport used.

But...

The DOT also includes in this figure Balikbayans. All Filipinos permanently residing abroad using their Philippine passport to enter the country. (i.e. a Filipino having permanent residence abroad is a tourist) OFWs are not included.

This doesn’t matter though as Balikbayans only account for less than 100K of the total annual visitors.

Here’s the full breakdown of tourists and their nationalities as of October 2019: http://www.tourism.gov.ph/industry_performance_oct_2019.aspx

981 - 1000 of 1005 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.