SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
37401 - 37420 of 37455 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you read the post, I was specifically talking about a friend who only has a weekend to visit. That is, flying in on a red eye to arrive Saturday morning, and flying out Sunday in time for work on Monday. That's not enough time to go backpacking around Cebu or take ferry trips to Bohol and back for an enjoyable vacation.

I have another friend from Taiwan who recently flew to Cebu, but they stayed for 5 days. That timeline is much more representative of your typical foreign tourist who wants to explore these places.

The point is, travel time plays a major role in vacation planning. That's what we were discussing before in this thread, and I felt the anecdote about my friend was a good example on the issue. There are many world class tourist destinations in the Philippines, but we need the infrastructure to make them more accessible.

I also think it illustrates why we can be excited for some of the infrastructure being completed soon. The new Panglao airport will be an ideal international tourist gateway. The construction of modern expressways will make more weekend getaways doable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another story to illustrate why travel time affects vacation plans. Recently we traveled to Tagaytay by bus. We wanted to take an FX van, but they said vans don't go there anymore. On the way back, at Olivarez they also said FX vans are now banned and we can take a bus only. It took over 5 hours to go less than 70km, when it should have taken less than 2 hours. For that amount of time, it's better to go somewhere like Baguio, Zambales, Pangasinan, or even fly to another island. We chose Tagaytay because we thought it would be a short and easy trip, and now we won't be going back anytime soon. The more free time available, the more options there are for places to go.

·
whenthefirestartstoburn
3,384 Posts
If you read the post, I was specifically talking about a friend who only has a weekend to visit. That is, flying in on a red eye to arrive Saturday morning, and flying out Sunday in time for work on Monday. That's not enough time to go backpacking around Cebu or take ferry trips to Bohol and back for an enjoyable vacation.

I have another friend from Taiwan who recently flew to Cebu, but they stayed for 5 days. That timeline is much more representative of your typical foreign tourist who wants to explore these places.

The point is, travel time plays a major role in vacation planning. That's what we were discussing before in this thread, and I felt the anecdote about my friend was a good example on the issue. There are many world class tourist destinations in the Philippines, but we need the infrastructure to make them more accessible.

I also think it illustrates why we can be excited for some of the infrastructure being completed soon. The new Panglao airport will be an ideal international tourist gateway. The construction of modern expressways will make more weekend getaways doable.
So the only good option is Manila?

·
Registered
107 Posts
So the only good option is Manila?
It is the best one I could think of if someone can only spend 2 days/1night. Keep in mind that Manila still offers many things that are hard to find/expensive in Taipei: very good live music, cheap full-body massage, good international cuisine besides only Chinese or Japanese food, rooftop lounges, Spanish architecture (Intramuros).

·
Registered Filipino
800 Posts
It is the best one I could think of if someone can only spend 2 days/1night. Keep in mind that Manila still offers many things that are hard to find/expensive in Taipei: very good live music, cheap full-body massage, good international cuisine besides only Chinese or Japanese food, rooftop lounges, Spanish architecture (Intramuros).
^^ watch the video i've posted. 52 hour trip yan. Pero marami na silang napuntahan.

-----

Diba sabi nga nila dapat "advance magisip" :lol: Yun nalang talaga sinasabi ko palagi sa mga kakilala ko kapag pumupunta sila ng Pilipinas.

Yes, mahirap ang transportation at lalong mas mahirap kung pagbaba mo lng ng eroplano saka ka magiisip kung saan ka pupunta.

Pwede sa Batangas (Taal, Calatagan, diving sites at Mabini/Isla Verde, Nasugbu), Laguna (Sta Rosa, Pansol/Los Baños, Pagsanjan, Makiling), Quezon (Villa Escudero, Lucban, Polilio), Cavite (Tagaytay via Talisay/Sta. Rosa), Rizal (Pililla Windmills, Daranak Falls)

For sure sa North mas marami.

Yes maraming options outside Manila for a weekend trip. Mas gugustuhin ko pang malayo ang nilalakbay ko at maayos ang paligid kaysa naman puro concrete at mastuck lang ako sa horrendous traffic sa Manila. Opinion ko lang naman.

·
Registered
20,858 Posts
yeah espescially those sharks in government
Diba buwaya ata common reference? :D

Anyway, since Boracay is the main tourism news now that the island is opening its sands to the public on Friday, as originally posted in the KLO thread: Lodi vs Kapitan Beach Wars

---

Ramon Ang has Caticlan, Lucio Tan has Kalibo, ferry to Boracay
MONEY-GO-ROUND BY VICTOR C. AGUSTIN·SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2018

Former Philippine Airlines partners Ramon S. Ang and Lucio Tan are now competing for or dividing, depending on how you view it, the lucrative Boracay tourist market.

Tan will commission tomorrow two brand-new, Dutch-built catamarans that will ferry mainly foreign passengers from Kalibo International Airport straight to Boracay when the world-famous island resort reopens later this week.

The ferry service will take 1.5-hour each way, operated by PAL subsidiary Mabuhay Maritime Express Transport, which also developed the two jetty ports at each end.

Even better for faster passenger connection, the Kalibo airport will expand closer and literally be right next to the jetty port after the current 2,500-meter runway shall have been lengthened to 3,000 meters to accommodate bigger planes.

Even before that happens, Tan had already secured approval from the provincial government to reclaim and extend the seashore by 120 hectares, on whose new land will house the expanded port, hotels and call-center buildings, according to sketchy reports from the provincial media.

Apparently the taipan has something more up his sleeve other than hotels and call-center buildings given the size of the reclamation, which, by way of comparison, dwarfs the 92-hectare Makati central business or the 70-hectare Iloilo Business Park of taipan Andrew Tan.

As a testament to the size and scale of the project, the taipan has hired no less than the Jan De Nul Group of Luxembourg to undertake the Aklan version of the parting of the sea.

·
Registered
463 Posts

I posted the top 5 sources of tourist arrivals in Cebu because of this comment....

From what I've read, Shangrila Mactan is an artificial beach, yet it's considered the best beach resort on Mactan. To get to the best beaches around Cebu, you need to travel for hours. For someone to leave their country, they usually need something they can't see at home.

There are a handful of beaches around Taiwan that are similar to the ones near Mactan, and much easier to access if you're coming from Taipei. So it's still not a big enough draw to leave the country for. Hence why I wouldn't recommend it.
Top source markets of tourist arrivals in Cebu:

1. Korea
2. China
3. Japan
4. USA
5. Taiwan

·
Registered
20,858 Posts
Kapitan's ferry service rates looks "steep" [well target clientele of this service are foreign tourists]

Originally posted in the KLO Thread

Ferry price range: P900 - P2,500 ONE-WAY (yaikes)

Bautista emphasized that travel time through the ferry to Boracay from the Kalibo airport will be cut to an hour an a half compared to the usual two hours, which involves both land and sea transport.

The ferry service comes in a tri-class configuration offering economy, premium economy and first-class seats with prices ranging from P900 to P2500 for a one-way trip.
[Future plans:]

“Boracay will continue to grow. The whole vicinity of Kalibo will also be developed,” Bautista said.

Asked if the company is looking at offering other routes for the ferry service and expanding its business, Bautista said they will first observe the operations of its maiden route.

“We will start with the two [vessels] and we will see,” Bautista said.

MME said it is building its own jetty port at Kalibo, 10 minutes away from the airport, where free shuttles are available for Boracay-bound passengers.

·
WE'RE GLOBAL DESTINATION
2,178 Posts
Are there not enough idle land in Kalibo? why do they have to reclaim? what does DENR is doing?
Not that much idle land in Kalibo probably one of the smallest provincial capital in the country kaya hindi pa city if you check in google map 1/4 of the towns land area goes to Kalibo Airport.

·
Dislikes Received : 10986
959 Posts
One of the problems is we don't have many large international airports near major tourist destinations. Even flying in to Kalibo and going to a hotel in Boracay takes about 3 hours. If you arrive at night or early in the morning, you have to wait until 9AM until you can take the boat to the island. Then you have to worry about making it back in time to catch your flight early the next day. That means most of the vacation will be spent traveling instead of relaxing.

Better infrastructure will certainly help. The new international airport in Panglao will be the first major international tourist gateway that's provides sub-30 minute travel time to the destination. This should make the Philippines/Panglao one of the most popular tourist destinations in Asia. It wouldn't take long for Panglao/Bohol to gain similar status as Bali on an international scale. We could replicate that success in other areas, perhaps Siargao.
For a moment i was thinking if Cebu is still part of the Philippines...

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Banned
142 Posts
Boracay Rehabilitation: "Bagong Simula" 10/22/2018

Meron ba talagang sewer treatment facility? Boracay Beaches will never be the same. :eek:hno:

·
SPEED
3,131 Posts
kailangan irelocate 75 % ng mga taong nakatira diyan. ang liit liit ng Boracay. Overpopulation everywhere.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I posted the top 5 sources of tourist arrivals in Cebu because of this comment....
Yes, and apparently you don't realize that what you posted is completely useless in determining the length of stay of tourist arrivals. If I posted a list of the top tourist arrivals to LAX that showed Filipinos in the top 5, does that mean that they're all staying for a weekend?

For a moment i was thinking if Cebu is still part of the Philippines...

:lol::lol::lol:
Most of the top tourist destinations on Cebu island are 3+ hours away from the airport. That's a lot longer than 30 minutes. I will let you work out the math

37401 - 37420 of 37455 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.