SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
37421 - 37440 of 37455 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Most of the top tourist destinations on Cebu island are 3+ hours away from the airport. That's a lot longer than 30 minutes. I will let you work out the math
Not true.

While Bantayan and Oslob are hot, Mactan Island itself and Cebu City (hello Santo Nino and Lechon!) have always drawn bigger crowds.

·
Dislikes Received : 10986
959 Posts
Not true.

While Bantayan and Oslob are hot, Mactan Island itself and Cebu City (hello Santo Nino and Lechon!) have always drawn bigger crowds.
Dont know where he got that idea. If he's been around mactan island. He would know the volume of tourists around the island far exceeds the volume of any other destinations in Cebu. Sa bird and fish sanctuary pa nga lang andami na.

·
959 Posts
Most of the top tourist destinations on Cebu island are 3+ hours away from the airport. That's a lot longer than 30 minutes. I will let you work out the math
You know what, the problems in your statement was already highlighted in bold. I am just not sure how you missed that. Read them back again and understand.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not true.

Yes because if you're traveling from another country, you're going to come to the Philippines just to eat Lechon and see a statue. Is that a joke?

If given a choice, do you think most people would rather see a world class beach and a waterfall, or a statue and a meal they can get in most restaurants? I think most would prefer the beach. But the fact that the latter get higher volume of tourists just proves my point. People often select places based on their convenience of access. For all the people who live or stay in Metro Cebu, it's far easier to go Zubuchon at the mall than to travel to Bantayan island.

But if you want to argue that tourist arrivals shows the quality of tourism experience, then you're forced to admit that Manila is still the best choice. NAIA (Manila) is the top airport for tourist arrivals by far:

If the image has trouble loading, go to:
http://web.tourism.gov.ph/industry_performance_aug.aspx

and look at "Arrivals by Port of Entry" for August

Manila: 332,147 (60.92%)
Cebu: 121,170 (22.22%)

looks like they enjoyed their few days in Cebu :cheers: :cheers:

much much better than a weekend trapped in the traffic and pollution in manila ..
And much better than a weekend trapped in the traffic and pollution of Cebu city. Who says you have to be trapped in Manila?

All of these examples of 24 hour vacations usually include a private van/driver, lots of travel and not much relaxation. Not your average traveler who wants to go on vacation to relax. If you're going to try and use the exception to prove the rule, Manila is still just as good as Cebu. There's tons of tourist destinations you can visit if you're willing to travel for hours:

As you can see, my advice to go to Manila for a weekend is just as valid.

But the point is, just because it's possible to visit somewhere after battling through hours of travel and lack of sleep does not mean it will be convenient or enjoyable for most international tourists. They have the luxury to choose to go anywhere they want. Yes, a huge factor is how unique and enjoyable a destination is. But that's weighed against cost, how much of their time gets eaten up by travel, and how inconvenient the experience is.

Thailand brings in way more tourists than the Philippines, and we should be looking for solutions, not excuses if we want to catch up. We have some of the world's most beautiful scenery, world class beaches, a hospitable culture, and low prices. We just need the infrastructure to improve the access and convenience for tourists.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes because if you're traveling from another country, you're going to come to the Philippines just to eat Lechon and see a statue. Is that a joke?

If given a choice, do you think most people would rather see a world class beach and a waterfall, or a statue and a meal they can get in most restaurants? I think most would prefer the beach. But the fact that the latter get higher volume of tourists just proves my point. People often select places based on their convenience of access. For all the people who live or stay in Metro Cebu, it's far easier to go Zubuchon at the mall than to travel to Bantayan island.

But if you want to argue that tourist arrivals shows the quality of tourism experience, then you're forced to admit that Manila is still the best choice. NAIA (Manila) is the top airport for tourist arrivals by far:

If the image has trouble loading, go to:
http://web.tourism.gov.ph/industry_performance_aug.aspx

and look at "Arrivals by Port of Entry" for August

Manila: 332,147 (60.92%)
Cebu: 121,170 (22.22%)

And much better than a weekend trapped in the traffic and pollution of Cebu city. Who says you have to be trapped in Manila?

All of these examples of 24 hour vacations usually include a private van/driver, lots of travel and not much relaxation. Not your average traveler who wants to go on vacation to relax. If you're going to try and use the exception to prove the rule, Manila is still just as good as Cebu. There's tons of tourist destinations you can visit if you're willing to travel for hours:

As you can see, my advice to go to Manila for a weekend is just as valid.

But the point is, just because it's possible to visit somewhere after battling through hours of travel and lack of sleep does not mean it will be convenient or enjoyable for most international tourists. They have the luxury to choose to go anywhere they want. Yes, a huge factor is how unique and enjoyable a destination is. But that's weighed against cost, how much of their time gets eaten up by travel, and how inconvenient the experience is.

Thailand brings in way more tourists than the Philippines, and we should be looking for solutions, not excuses if we want to catch up. We have some of the world's most beautiful scenery, world class beaches, a hospitable culture, and low prices. We just need the infrastructure to improve the access and convenience for tourists.
Unfortunately, YOU need convincing the TOURISTS to TRY Manila as destination in itself.

Manila is the number one port of arrival, OBVIOUSLY because it has the most number of flights coming from other countries. No doubt about it. But have you investigated further where the TOURISTS go after arriving in Manila? MOST OF them fly south to the VISAYAS or PALAWAN. Just watch most youtube vloggers and most of them just make Manila as entry point not a destination.
AND That is sad, and most vloggers have started to realze that Manila is worth considering too. But MANILA has a BAD reputation to most tourists, as Dirty, Traffic, Dangerous,nothing much to do and see, as opposed to Cebu with so much to offer (in terms of an Island getaway that they imagined.). Yes, Cebu needs to improve, its likewise not Clean, with heavy traffic too (but less stressful than Manila). As a tourist Destination, Cebu has already established its brand and reputation. Manila on the other hand has mostly a NEGATIVE reputation. Yes, most tourists fly in through Manila, BUT They don't stay there, they take the next flight out of Manila to the Islands ASAP, except of course those who arrive in Manila for Business purposes.

·
959 Posts
Come on guys hindi nyo ba napansin. Sorry pero he really live up to his name. Let's stop the discussion baka kung saan pa yan mapunta.
the guy is all over the place.

First he said

"One of the problems is we don't have many large international airports near major tourist destinations" and that "The new international airport in Panglao will be the first major international tourist gateway that's provides sub-30 minute travel time to the destination"

When it was pointed out to him na Mactain Airport is already in THE destination itself. eto naman sabi nya.

"From what I've read, Shangrila Mactan is an artificial beach, yet it's considered the best beach resort on Mactan. To get to the best beaches around Cebu, you need to travel for hours. There are a handful of beaches around Taiwan that are similar to the ones near Mactan, and much easier to access if you're coming from Taipei. So it's still not a big enough draw to leave the country for. Hence why I wouldn't recommend it." (I dont know where he got the idea na Shangrila is the best beach in Mactan though)

and if you are travelling over the weekend, hindi ba a three hour travel time is ok? nakapag weekend nga ako sa ilocos sur and norte over the weekend with travel time of 9 to 10 hours (one way) pero wow! one of the best destination sa bansa ang Ilocos talaga! (thats another topic)

now nag post si I<3dPh ng stats ng international visitors to Cebu saying the Taiwanese market stands at Fifth place (dahil nga sinabi nya na its not a big enough tourist draw "daw")

inilihis na naman ang discussion... length of stay!

"Yes, and apparently you don't realize that what you posted is completely useless in determining the length of stay of tourist arrivals. "

ano ba talaga ipinaglalaban nya?

·
Registered Filipino
800 Posts
Unfortunately, YOU need convincing the TOURISTS to TRY Manila as destination in itself.

Manila is the number one port of arrival, OBVIOUSLY because it has the most number of flights coming from other countries. No doubt about it. But have you investigated further where the TOURISTS go after arriving in Manila? MOST OF them fly south to the VISAYAS or PALAWAN. Just watch most youtube vloggers and most of them just make Manila as entry point not a destination.
AND That is sad, and most vloggers have started to realze that Manila is worth considering too. But MANILA has a BAD reputation to most tourists, as Dirty, Traffic, Dangerous,nothing much to do and see, as opposed to Cebu with so much to offer (in terms of an Island getaway that they imagined.). Yes, Cebu needs to improve, its likewise not Clean, with heavy traffic too (but less stressful than Manila). As a tourist Destination, Cebu has already established its brand and reputation. Manila on the other hand has mostly a NEGATIVE reputation. Yes, most tourists fly in through Manila, BUT They don't stay there, they take the next flight out of Manila to the Islands ASAP, except of course those who arrive in Manila for Business purposes.
^^ this.

Hindi lang Cebu.

Ang mga tourists pwedeng magconnecting flight to ;
Laoag, nearest tourist spots (Sinking bell tower, provincial capitol, La Paz Sand Dunes)
Davao, (Samal Island, crocodile park, eagle sanctuary, Roxas night market)

Yan pa lang napuntahan ko at for sure sa ibang lugar meron din.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

I take it you haven't been to Cebu?

Not every tourist who go to Cebu go to Bantayan, Malapascua, Oslob, Sumilon, Moalboal, Alegria, or Camotes Island (which is now just an hour away where they now sail directly, and you don't have to go to Danao anymore)

Many tourists just like to chill in the nice resorts in Mactan Island and maybe go to Nalusuan to snorkel and dine at Lantaw Cordova... Or go to the forest resorts or Tops in Cebu City itself... Or just really experience a new culture and yes, food trip.

My brother and his family, for example, just stayed in Cebu City the entire time, food tripping... And visiting those forest resorts, going to Simala Shrine, etc... Too bad they didn't get to go to the Temple of Leah and that "Little Holland" thing they have. Cebu Safari in Carmen also wasn't open yet, then. And yes, they're overseas.

·
Registered
463 Posts

First he said

"One of the problems is we don't have many large international airports near major tourist destinations" and that "The new international airport in Panglao will be the first major international tourist gateway that's provides sub-30 minute travel time to the destination"

When it was pointed out to him na Mactain Airport is already in THE destination itself. eto naman sabi nya.

"From what I've read, Shangrila Mactan is an artificial beach, yet it's considered the best beach resort on Mactan. To get to the best beaches around Cebu, you need to travel for hours. There are a handful of beaches around Taiwan that are similar to the ones near Mactan, and much easier to access if you're coming from Taipei. So it's still not a big enough draw to leave the country for. Hence why I wouldn't recommend it." (I dont know where he got the idea na Shangrila is the best beach in Mactan though)

and if you are travelling over the weekend, hindi ba a three hour travel time is ok? nakapag weekend nga ako sa ilocos sur and norte over the weekend with travel time of 9 to 10 hours (one way) pero wow! one of the best destination sa bansa ang Ilocos talaga! (thats another topic)

now nag post si I<3dPh ng stats ng international visitors to Cebu saying the Taiwanese market stands at Fifth place (dahil nga sinabi nya na its not a big enough tourist draw "daw")

"Yes, and apparently you don't realize that what you posted is completely useless in determining the length of stay of tourist arrivals. "

That is why I don’t like to answer him anymore. He doesn’t stick to the topic which caused people to react. Nakahighlight na nga yung contentious statement niya, lumilihis pa rin. He obviously doesn't know the latest developments in Mactan as far as tourism is concerned. He doesn’t know that the Taiwanese group is now one of the fastest growing groups of tourists in the island. Plantation Bay management took notice of it, as well as the spending habit of the Taiwanese, which gave them the idea to open a shopping arcade within the resort's premises.

Resort to open shopping arcade

The shopping arcade is located inside the resort’s 11.5-hectare property in Barangay Marigondon, Lapu-Lapu City. Belarmino said the retail outlet is aimed at enhancing the guest experience and boosting the tourism offering for local and foreign guests. Shopping, he said, is one of the top activities of tourists, specifically the growing number of Taiwanese visitors. “Foreign tourists don’t only come to Cebu for leisure activities. They are also inclined toward shopping activities. Mactan Island, however, doesn’t have luxury shopping centers and guests may need to go to Cebu City, where there is a high presence of bigger shopping malls,” said Belarmino.

·
Registered
107 Posts

First he said

If you think Mactan is a good example of a world class tourist destination, I question whether you've ever been to other countries and understand why it's unimpressive compared to the other options out there. I don't know anyone who would fly all the way to the Philippines just to spend time on a fake beach. One of the first results if you google "mactan island tourist review:

Mactan Island is NOT a holiday destination
Mactan Island does not have access to the waterfront. There are no beaches other than what you have in your resort. We booked into a hotel called Palmbeach Resort. Don't be fooled by the hotel name as there is no beach. We walked for miles and all the waterfront is blocked off by resorts or condominiums and the security guards will not let you pass. Even the spare bits of land are fenced off. Even the locals cannot get to the waterfront. So if you're looking for beach life forget Mactan Island as there is simply none as in no beach. There is no nightlife. If you want to find a restaurant and bar outside your hotel you have to return to the main town on route to Cebu town. Beware the taxis want to charge a high price for transport.

The worst part of the trip was the dawn chorus. Cockerels everywhere and lots of them. After 2 nights and being woken up at 4am we checked out!
https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowUserReviews-g298461-d2142646-r615286662-Palmbeach_Resort_Spa-Lapu_Lapu_Mactan_Island_Cebu_Island_Visayas.html

Very long travel times and bad infrastructure might be the norm here, but it's by no means normal for the average international traveler. They have the choice to go wherever they want, and often prioritize convenience over budget. When we're talking about people who are flying in and out from overseas, a good 10 hours of their travel time is already eaten up getting to, waiting in, and flying out of airports. If you only have a weekend to travel, and you spend half of it traveling just to get somewhere, chances are you're gonna be stressed out for a lot of it.

Actually, the post I wrote which triggered so many people was about a specific case of a friend who had a limited length of stay. Maybe you missed it.

And I never argued that.. It's quite clear: "But if you want to argue that tourist arrivals shows the quality of tourism experience, then you're forced to admit that Manila is still the best choice."

I brought it up because someone used tourist arrivals by nationality in Cebu as proof that it's a major weekend tourist destination. Also because some were arguing that the volume of tourists in a given destination directly translates to its quality as a tourism experience. I agree that the Visayas have the best tourist destinations. The problem is the infrastructure that serves them is quite lacking. That's why I'm positive about projects like the new Panglao airport.

I take it you haven't been to Cebu?

Not every tourist who go to Cebu go to Bantayan, Malapascua, Oslob, Sumilon, Moalboal, Alegria, or Camotes Island (which is now just an hour away where they now sail directly, and you don't have to go to Danao anymore)

Many tourists just like to chill in the nice resorts in Mactan Island and maybe go to Nalusuan to snorkel and dine at Lantaw Cordova... Or go to the forest resorts or Tops in Cebu City itself... Or just really experience a new culture and yes, food trip.

My brother and his family, for example, just stayed in Cebu City the entire time, food tripping... And visiting those forest resorts, going to Simala Shrine, etc... Too bad they didn't get to go to the Temple of Leah and that "Little Holland" thing they have. Cebu Safari in Carmen also wasn't open yet, then. And yes, they're overseas.
I've been there twice. I haven't met anyone whose been to Mactan and would recommend the beaches there. I've even met people from Cebu who recommend against it. I didn't like the city, but I think there's plenty of stuff to do if you're willing to travel, and I liked whale shark diving in Oslob. I want to go back some day and check out Bantayan island, Malapascua, and do some canyoneering. Again I'm not arguing against Cebu, I just think there are better places to go if you're pressed for time.

·
whenthefirestartstoburn
3,384 Posts
^^ Typical imperial manila arrogance.. kaya undesirable ang image ng philipines kase manila = philippines for them and manila should be the only option ...

Not arguing against cebu daw pero may statements na "i'm not recommending cebu" .. "i dislike cebu" ...

Nageffort pa maghanap ng negative comments/review abot cebu :D

Last reply to this topic na kase you already exposed your biases.

Again, goodluck sa taiwanese friends mu sa holiday vacation nila sa manila :cheers:

·
959 Posts
and the guy is all over the place.... AGAIN!

If you think Mactan is a good example of a world class tourist destination, I question whether you've ever been to other countries and understand why it's unimpressive compared to the other options out there. I don't know anyone who would fly all the way to the Philippines just to spend time on a fake beach. One of the first results if you google "mactan island tourist review:
WHO said anything about Mactan being world-class?!!! again, READ what you posted.

"One of the problems is we don't have many large international airports near major tourist destinations" / "The new international airport in Panglao will be the first major international tourist gateway that's provides sub-30 minute travel time to the destination"
did you ever realize na yan yung nag trigger? people did not point out Mactan as WORLD CLASS, juice-colored... sinabihan ka lang na mactan island is a major tourist destination with an airport... something na hindi naman siguro mahirap intindihin as the discussion was going on.

ObserverMNL;153523408[url said:
https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowUserReviews-g298461-d2142646-r615286662-Palmbeach_Resort_Spa-Lapu_Lapu_Mactan_Island_Cebu_Island_Visayas.html[/url]

Very long travel times and bad infrastructure might be the norm here, but it's by no means normal for the average international traveler. They have the choice to go wherever they want, and often prioritize convenience over budget. When we're talking about people who are flying in and out from overseas, a good 10 hours of their travel time is already eaten up getting to, waiting in, and flying out of airports. If you only have a weekend to travel, and you spend half of it traveling just to get somewhere, chances are you're gonna be stressed out for a lot of it.
seems like you have a hidden hatred for Cebu. I dont want to glorify your post dahil actually, marami din namang ayaw sa Cebu at ayoko maging biased, maski naman ako meron akong di gusto sa Cebu. There are environmental issues especially with the whale watching just to give an example... you can go on forever with your life hating Cebu, i dont think anybody would care.

Actually, the post I wrote which triggered so many people was about a specific case of a friend who had a limited length of stay. Maybe you missed it.
Nobody missed it. it is actually you who missed the point why your post triggered something. again read the first few items above.

I brought it up because someone used tourist arrivals by nationality in Cebu as proof that it's a major weekend tourist destination. Also because some were arguing that the volume of tourists in a given destination directly translates to its quality as a tourism experience. I agree that the Visayas have the best tourist destinations. The problem is the infrastructure that serves them is quite lacking. That's why I'm positive about projects like the new Panglao airport.
From here, parang ikaw ata ang hindi nakakaintindi why your post was quoted. The tourist arrival by nationality was posted dahil sinabi mo na "its not a big enough tourist draw" do you get the point? Please point out dun sa post kung saan sinabi dun na it is a proof that it's a major weekend tourist destination?!

37421 - 37440 of 37455 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.