SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
descendant from heaven
93,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, we are planning to go to Quebec City this summer, any tips? Such as where to stay, visit and transit info etc. Thanks in advance. :)

·
17,862 Posts
First tip is rent a car or plan for a $40 cab ride each way to and from the airport, because there is no transit link between the airport and the city. You would have to walk a mile down a highway to get the nearest bus station. Transit options are somewhat nonexistent.

Prices for hotels and B&Bs just outside of the walls of Vieux Quebec are as much money as inside the walls, when I was looking last summer. One interesting idea is to stay in Levis and take the ferry over at night, then take the ferry back in the day. I might look into that myself!

St-Jean and St-Roch seem to be two neighborhoods with nice nightlife and restaurants, and a place to meet everyday Quebecois (?).

You can see all of Upper Town and Lower Town in one day, like I did, but then you'll be rushed. Spread it out over two days.

One place I'd like to explore is Ile de Orleans, but a car is needed for that.

·
descendant from heaven
93,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First tip is rent a car or plan for a $40 cab ride each way to and from the airport, because there is no transit link between the airport and the city. You would have to walk a mile down a highway to get the nearest bus station. Transit options are somewhat nonexistent.

Prices for hotels and B&Bs just outside of the walls of Vieux Quebec are as much money as inside the walls, when I was looking last summer. One interesting idea is to stay in Levis and take the ferry over at night, then take the ferry back in the day. I might look into that myself!

St-Jean and St-Roch seem to be two neighborhoods with nice nightlife and restaurants, and a place to meet everyday Quebecois (?).

You can see all of Upper Town and Lower Town in one day, like I did, but then you'll be rushed. Spread it out over two days.

One place I'd like to explore is Ile de Orleans, but a car is needed for that.

We will have 10 days to spend in the city if we have to, although we are thinking spending a few days in Montreal. Is 5 days enough to see everything in Quebec City?

·
17,862 Posts
We will have 10 days to spend in the city if we have to, although we are thinking spending a few days in Montreal. Is 5 days enough to see everything in Quebec City?
I did the big things in Quebec City in just over 24 hours, flying in on a late Monday morning, and flying out mid-afternoon on Tuesday. In that time, I did:

~ Walked around Upper Town and walls
~ Guided tour of the Quebec legislature
~ Walked around the Plains of Abraham
~ Walked around Lower Town
~ Walked around Vieux Port a little bit
~ Took the ferry to Levis for a skyline view, although that was rushed
~ Tried a bar at night in St-Jean
~ Checked out the little convent museum in my hotel in Upper Town

That was all at a fast pace, but it was doable and enjoyable.

Here are some notable things in or very near Quebec City I would like to do if I get a chance to go back:

~ Tour the fort by the Plains of Abraham
~ Check out Parliament Hill or another neighborhood
~ See Levis and spend more time taking in the view from across the river
~ Explore Ile de Orleans

You may be interested in visiting one of the nearby national parks. One of them has Montmorency Falls, I think. The Quebec Region is always talking about the national parks nearby, if they aren't covering Vieux Quebec, on Instagram.

So yes, you can do everything mentioned above in 5 days.

·
City dweller
132 Posts
I must have gone to Quebec City a hundred times in my life, and I never get tired of it. 5 days will give you a very good overview, but you will not run out of things to do or see.

·
City dweller
132 Posts
However, within the city, transit is quite good. The Metrobus lines will take you to all major neighbourhoods and attractions (except maybe the Aquarium, but a "regular" bus goes there). Here's the English version of the Quebec City transit agency (RTC) site : RTC.

As for the airport situation, there will (finally) be a bus that will connect the airport to the city centre, but it will only start in 2019, so maybe too late for you unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts