Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Daily Commuter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to spend a 3-day week-end in an English city I haven't visited yet, my 3 options being Bristol, Liverpool & Newcastle.

I'm looking for the place amongst those 3 that would offer the most interesting visits during the day and the best nightlife.

What would you guys recommend?

Ta!

·
Super Moderator
23,250 Posts
I would probably say Liverpool, the nightlife is pretty good and there are interesting things to do at the waterfront, museums, galleries, beatles tour etc if you like that kind of thing. Liverpool also has some nice architecture and is the biggest of your three choices, it does have some rather rough areas but crime isn't really a big problem (nor in the other two cities). A day trip to the nearby city of Chester is also well worth doing.

Newcastle has lots of beer-drinking nightlife but i've only been once so I don't know that much about it.

Bristol is probably the quietest of the three but is also the most prosperous overall, especially suburbs like clifton. The centre has some nice parts but also some crappy 1960s concrete which replaced bomb damage from WWII. The nightlife is reasonable and there are some nice restaurant boats by the harbour. Bristol is also very close to Bath which is a beautiful small city and a 'must see' sight in England.

It depends what type of activities/trips you like, I might have some more specific ideas. Do you prefer arts, nature, history, architecture, food & drink??

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
All three cities are worthy destinations.

True, Newcastle is a huge drinking city and if you've never been you would probably really enjoy the masses of places to go for a drink and a meal at night- infact I garuntee you will enjoy it!

During the day, the city centre is compact therefore really built up and bustling with lots of intersting places, Shopping/Museums/Art Galleries etc... -It depends what your interests are really.

The Quayside down by the river is great nowadays with bridges as far as the eye can see - a magnificent setting.

Newcastle is also minutes from stunning countryside, you could use it as a base to see things like Hadrians Wall (World Heritage sight running from Newcastle to the west coast of England) or one of the many magnificent castles and country towns plus the breathtaking coastline in Northumberland.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I would say Newcastle. But I am a little biased:D

But if you want nightlife, then come here! And there is also a great mix of architecture...

the old (for example Grey Street)

to the new (for example The Sage)

·
Daily Commuter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's now between Liverpool and Newcastle. That's fine because I'm looking forward to visiting the North.

I have to say that you really enlightened me about the places.

When visiting a place I usually like strolling in the city centre, contemplating the architecture, visiting a few monuments, but not too keen on museums though. For the evening and later on, a few pubs and clubs will do nicely :cheers: :dj:

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Of course Liverpool, isn't much of the city centre a World Heritage area???

I've never been, but I've heard the architecture is wonderful. Also, if you are a Beatles fan, it's a paradise.

Newcastle's got the huge shopping centre, and the angel of the North...

And a nice city centre..

I'd choose Liverpool, though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts