SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes it is true, at least for the Schengen countries (Benelux, France, Germany). You don't have to stop, no passport. Just a sign saying 'Willkommen in Deutschland" or whatever. I think it's a bit the same for the other EU-member countries. All the old custom houses, posts etc are more or less abandoned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It includes a lot more countries than those just mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

However, you still can be checked at any border. The Schengen nations have preserved the right to do so. For example I was checked on the evening/night train from Paris to Amsterdam when crossing both borders (entering Belgium and entering The Netherlands). People are still obligated to carry a passport or ID.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
For all other EU-countries who are (not yet) full member of the Schengen-Agreement there are border controls, but as an EU-citizen you just need your ID-card and not a passport. Additionally there are some countries (for example Turkey) where an ID-card is enough for EU-citizen to enter the country although this country is not a member of the EU.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
OurHero said:
It includes a lot more countries than those just mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

However, you still can be checked at any border. The Schengen nations have preserved the right to do so. For example I was checked on the evening/night train from Paris to Amsterdam when crossing both borders (entering Belgium and entering The Netherlands). People are still obligated to carry a passport or ID.
Paris-Amsterdam travels are an exeption, as a lot of french people travel to the Netherlands for weed, and try to bring back some

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
You still need a passport to enter the UK from continental Europe as the UK government has opted out of the Schengen agreement. Travelling from the UK to Ireland though you don't have to go through customs or show passports etc.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
Jonesy55 said:
You still need a passport to enter the UK from continental Europe as the UK government has opted out of the Schengen agreement. Travelling from the UK to Ireland though you don't have to go through customs or show passports etc.
For me my ID-card was enough to enter the UK. AFAIK you don't have an ID-card system in the UK?

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
DiggerD21 said:
For me my ID-card was enough to enter the UK. AFAIK you don't have an ID-card system in the UK?
not yet no. Did you really get in without passport? I'm calling immigration :)

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
Jonesy55 said:
I never had a passport in my life

I only have an ID-card (like this specimen)

The difference between these two: You get automatically an ID-card when turning 16 while you have to apply for a passport which you only need if you want to travel outside of the EU (+ some additional countries).

·
5,701 Posts
Paris-Amsterdam travels are an exeption, as a lot of french people travel to the Netherlands for weed, and try to bring back some
If the EU law would really be enforced, they could... But well, somehow these liberties don't seem to apply to harmless hippies but only to big enterprizes and cattle transports...

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
We don't have a ID system in Denmark, but that doesn't stop us from going away without a passport :D

Even pre-shengen we didn't need anything for travels around in Scandinavia..

But ofcause somekind of ID ( driver licens, passport or social secutity/healtcare card ) is a good thing to bring..

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
Jonesy55 said:
Seriously, you don't need a passport for the UK or Ireland despite not being in the Schengen pact, if coming from any of the 13 Schengen nations. An ID is enough (but you need at least an ID card) You can check this on the EU website - it's really easy to find.

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
Generally speaking, the rule for the 13 Schengen Pact countries (and a couple extra in Scandanavia I believe) is that you can just cross the border without any controls. In most cases, the border posts have been dismantled.

There are plenty of urban areas that straddle borders where you may not even know that you've crossed into another country until you see the differences (maybe language, or type of signs, telephone booths etc)

It is effectively the same as crossing a state border - in fact, crossing some state borders like between NSW and South Australia have more controls (inspectors checking for fruit which is not allowed to cross the border for fear of fruitfly)

So to answer your question Toronto_boise, in reality it is no different to say crossing between Quebec and Ontario within the 13 Schengen countries. It is effectively, a single customs region. So, if you fly into Paris, you have entered the EU Schengen Region, and your next customs check should be when you leave, e.g. Berlin, Barcelona etc - not in between, much like arriving in Vancouver you enter Canada's customs region, and leave it via Toronto.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Justme said:
Seriously, you don't need a passport for the UK or Ireland despite not being in the Schengen pact, if coming from any of the 13 Schengen nations. An ID is enough (but you need at least an ID card) You can check this on the EU website - it's really easy to find.
This is correct. An ID card will suffice when travelling to the UK from Europe. There is no equivalent system of ID in the UK because people are largely against ID cards or pictures on driving licences.

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,526 Posts
Toronto_boise said:
My teacher once said that you could drive between countries in the E.U. without a passport or stopping at the border. Is this true?
YEAH.. my Spanish teacher (from Italy) told me that. :)

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
hkskyline said:
I remember flying into Stansted from Dublin and I only had to show my boarding pass and not my passport upon entry.
This happens sometimes and I don't really know why. When I flew to London for Xmas from Frankfurt, I never had to show my passport at either end, same with coming back. This happens about 1 in 5 times when I travel between the two cities.

I havn't seen a pattern yet, so I don't know why sometimes I'm checked and other times not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
virtual said:
It's not an exception. When I travelled from Berlin to Amsterdam by train, I was asked to show my ID to Dutch police while crossing the border at Bad Bentheim...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts