SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
26,962 Posts
Like the look of the hotel
But
There must be something done about the old liverpool house building and the one next to it on the corner of norfolk street before this hotel opens for buisness.
Regarding the Liverpool house area, yes I totally agree, ---I know there were plans a year or so ago --for Demolition and building of some retail units and apartments for that site, --but I'm not sure what has happened, ---also there is the mothballed site of the proposed Porterfield Plaza, ---it's a pity Gentoo can't sell this, --wonder how much longer we will have to look at the orange steelwork:)

·
Registered
26,962 Posts
Bit more regarding the proposed Hotel, --- this from the Sunderland Echo, --

Sunderland could get a new Travelodge.

Published on Wednesday 9 November 2011 11:44

PLANS have been approved for a £6million hotel and business units in Sunderland city centre.

Developers have been granted planning permission to build a four-storey building in Sunniside, housing an 82-bedroom hotel with a mix of commercial premises on the ground floor.

The Travelodge development in High Street West is expected to create 12 part-time and six full-time jobs and be open in late Autumn 2012. The ground-floor development is expected to create about 30 jobs.

Hendon councillor Michael Mordey said: “We need more hotels, a lot more hotels in the city. I’m really pleased to see this one come forward and hopefully once it’s on site it will drag in others.”

City leaders say Sunderland is in desperate need of more hotels if it is to best capitalise on events taking place in the city.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...e_hotel_gets_go_ahead_in_sunderland_1_3952560

·
Registered
712 Posts
Shame the building looks absolutely horrendous :(
You cannot tell a lot from the picture, I like the design of the building but I suppose it depends on the actual finish.

Still better than some of the new(ish) buildings recently in the City namely Bridge House and the one with the girders outside the central station

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
At least it getting built a new hotel is long overdue in Sunderland lets hope theres more to come. I take it the Joplings Hotel plan has fallen through.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree it's not the prettiest building to stick within yards of a conservation area.

My other worry is the ground floor, which in the impression looks like a restaurant/cafe. Limelight/Sunniside Leisure seem to have a lot of difficulty maintaining occupancy in their bar/restaurant units, and I think I'm right in saying there's still an empty unit in the bowling alley building (the bowling alley itself was nearly empty - I understand it was bought out at the last minute recently).

Travelodge don't have a great record on this - the leisure unit beneath their existing hotel on Green Terrace (former Bud Biggalows or something like that?) looked empty last time I went past.

Just worry we're going to end up with more dead frontage at street level, which would be a shame. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

·
Registered
336 Posts
With regard to empty units, --I can understand where your coming from,--but we have to hope what ever retailers come in, --that they will be successful, ---and as for the design of the Hotel, --yes it ain't the best, --and I would have preferred the original one, --which was proposed for the opposite of the Street, ----but I will reserve judgment until I see the Hotel completed, ---you never know, it might not look too bad.:)
Stumbled upon this the other day.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35993687.html

Looks like the original developer won't be going ahead with this one.:sad2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sunderland Echo 11 Jan 2012

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...derland_hotel_will_bring_extra_jobs_1_4127477

A NEW £6million hotel complex will create 21 jobs and bring £1.3million to Wearside’s economy.

Travelodge has announced its development in High Street West will open this year and the firm is already recruiting for a variety of posts including managers, receptionists, housekeepers, cleaners and bar staff.

Michelle Luxford, human resources director at Travelodge, said: “We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated and committed individuals who want a long-term career in hospitality.”

Developers were granted planning permission to build a four-storey building in Sunniside, housing an 82-bedroom hotel with a mix of commercial premises on the ground floor, in November.

Originally, the hotel was expected to expected to provide 12 part-time and six full-time jobs, but the firm has now announced it will employ 21 rather than 18 staff.

The ground-floor development is expected to create about 30 jobs.

The hotel will open in the autumn.

·
Architect
1,132 Posts
That's going to be a quick build if it's going to be open in the Autumn.

Good news, but I hope it ends up looking better than the renders do. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
26,962 Posts
The buildings which are to be Demolished 174/5, ---are these next to Style furnishings?---also, --I took a few photos the other day showing the work been carried out (Demolition) of where the new Hotel is going, -- will put them up later.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts